Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1964 1965 [1966] 1967 1968 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2495515 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #29475 on: March 07, 2016, 03:19:26 pm »

Mainspring would be an interesting world, but no way in hell am I doing that ship thing. That thing was kinda neat in design but I'd hate running it.

MSpaint ships might be a bit much, yeah, but no reason why you couldn't simplify the system, ship classes and models and hardpoints and such.
Thats true. Do a sort of "Heavy steam" or "Guns of Icarus" style thing.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #29476 on: March 07, 2016, 03:24:02 pm »

Can someone explain Mainspring to me in a couple sentences? I don't know it at all.

ey PW, if you do homunculus with an initially very limited set of players and an initial trial run of, say, a month or so, I would love to be in the first group. Do it as a side thing, like infinite heavens is, kinda. and focus your attention on whichever main game gets the most support. but do it before the main game springs up. That way, people have something to watch while they wait for whichever main thing comes along.and homunculus gets some exposure and might generate some interest and become the main thing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29478 on: March 07, 2016, 03:38:13 pm »

Mainspring?  What is this?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29479 on: March 07, 2016, 03:50:15 pm »

I don't see why continuing a new game in the ER setting would be so bad or necessarily 'make things worse', seeing as how it won't be more of the exact same. The current chapter of ER would still stop and find closure, but after that we go on to other adventures in a setting that's new, but still familiar, and marked by our past exploits.

I also feel as if ERORO (and ERbeyond, though it's about certain that's not on the table anymore) would be a good mix between serious and silly story elements and gameplay/situations, while in ORO the options seem more limited. Not that I wouldn't want to play a serious game, certainly not (I do play a serious char right now), but it does seem like it'd be more restrictive. If only because, if pw actually comes through with the premise, any suboptimal play is inescapably punished with death sooner or later. The powergamer/munchkin side of me does kinda feel attracted by that idea, but all things considered I think ERORO would lead to more fun overall.

And pw himself seems to think that ORO would be compatible with ER, so I don't think we can just dismiss them as 'incompatible' right off the bat.

Can someone explain Mainspring to me in a couple sentences? I don't know it at all.

ey PW, if you do homunculus with an initially very limited set of players and an initial trial run of, say, a month or so, I would love to be in the first group. Do it as a side thing, like infinite heavens is, kinda. and focus your attention on whichever main game gets the most support. but do it before the main game springs up. That way, people have something to watch while they wait for whichever main thing comes along.and homunculus gets some exposure and might generate some interest and become the main thing.
Would be interesting to see, but pw kinda already has a side project going on (infinite heavens), and I dunno if we should ask him to run another one. Intoxicated (second side project) already crashed not long ago (then again, he did keep that up for a good while, so if he feels like he'd have the time, then a short run with a small amount of players might be doable).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:52:52 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nunzillor

« Reply #29480 on: March 07, 2016, 04:45:03 pm »

Looks like it's going to be ORO fairly definitively.  I don't think there are enough votes left for the balance to significantly shift.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 04:50:40 pm by Nunzillor »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29481 on: March 07, 2016, 04:51:12 pm »

Or something almost totally unrecognizable derived from it, after a mission cycle or two.
One wheel short of a wagon

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29482 on: March 07, 2016, 04:52:00 pm »

I hopefully will make a interesting character I have a fun idea.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29483 on: March 07, 2016, 07:29:53 pm »

OK, I talked about mainspring a long time ago as part of the airship combat test. The basic idea is this:

It's the far future and humanity is currently living on enormous floating cities. The earth below is a giant flesh and stone wasteland inhabited by what the humans call "The Wyrm" a global living organism which constantly births new creatures that inhabit deep caves in the earth. The cities are stratified with the rich at the top with a view of the sky and the poorest hanging onto the bottom like barnacles and working the enormous manual crankshafts that keep the mainsprings wound. There's also a shadowy cult of flesh worshipers which take embryonic creatures from the caves of The Wyrm and use ancient techniques to grow them into custom made war beasts.  These war beasts along with floating airships are used to combat incursions of the Wyrm, fight other cities and keep the peace, as well as for ritualized combat and sporting events.

And so it goes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29484 on: March 07, 2016, 07:35:53 pm »

Yup. Definitely a game and a world I would love to see realized. Though I do admire the apparent tightness of Oro's design.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #29485 on: March 07, 2016, 07:39:29 pm »

Yo, pw, since there are a decent number of us who can't make their minds up. What game do you want to run most? Which one do you think you'll have the most fun with?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #29486 on: March 07, 2016, 07:41:33 pm »

So... what keeps the poor from holding the mainsprings hostage?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29487 on: March 07, 2016, 07:42:43 pm »

Yo, pw, since there are a decent number of us who can't make their minds up. What game do you want to run most? Which one do you think you'll have the most fun with?
Yeah, this is also important. The players are not the only ones playing, so to speak.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29488 on: March 07, 2016, 08:00:22 pm »

OK, I talked about mainspring a long time ago as part of the airship combat test. The basic idea is this:

It's the far future and humanity is currently living on enormous floating cities. The earth below is a giant flesh and stone wasteland inhabited by what the humans call "The Wyrm" a global living organism which constantly births new creatures that inhabit deep caves in the earth. The cities are stratified with the rich at the top with a view of the sky and the poorest hanging onto the bottom like barnacles and working the enormous manual crankshafts that keep the mainsprings wound. There's also a shadowy cult of flesh worshipers which take embryonic creatures from the caves of The Wyrm and use ancient techniques to grow them into custom made war beasts.  These war beasts along with floating airships are used to combat incursions of the Wyrm, fight other cities and keep the peace, as well as for ritualized combat and sporting events.

And so it goes.
Dang it, now I want to change my vote.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 09:11:05 pm by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29489 on: March 07, 2016, 08:44:12 pm »

Option six, make it happen! :D
Pages: 1 ... 1964 1965 [1966] 1967 1968 ... 2205