Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1952 1953 [1954] 1955 1956 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2496154 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #29295 on: March 04, 2016, 08:34:27 pm »

It would be set somewhere else. Depending on which version ERORO or ER Beyond, it would be in another universe or in several other universes.

Welp, that's it, then.  A universe based on ER is a universe with no place for me.
Whats wrong with it now, Dev? Why do you hate the idea of another universe? Are you a univeracist?

Yeah, dammit, I don't want a universe that'll continue to have the inconsistant tech application of ER, along with the utter disregard for engineering limitations.  I don't want to see a weird world founded with uber-specialized varients of humanity, implying massive personal and mechanical effort to create each and every one of the incredibly numerous and wide-scattered colonies.

That to me, implies a multiverse where there is a free lunch, and your existance is based on it.  Or at least infinite resources.
I don't really see how. We, in our current world, have uber-specialized humans and vastly different cultures. It doesn't mean limitless resources, it just means a long established time to make things and do things.  And it really doesn't imply those things because we're mass producing colonies and it's entirely possible for high powered tech to be automated but not well understood. Thats the entire idea of 40k isn't it? A  bunch of religious zealots using tech they barely understand?

Not to mention you have the fact that the players will not be given access to high tech gear. Bounty hunters and mercs don't get access to tactical nukes. So even if a robot man comes from some super high tech collective, he himself will not have access to it.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29296 on: March 04, 2016, 08:49:28 pm »

Oh god. I love the Sass in your posts when you get more detailed
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29297 on: March 04, 2016, 08:56:00 pm »

I don't really see how. We, in our current world, have uber-specialized humans and vastly different cultures. It doesn't mean limitless resources, it just means a long established time to make things and do things.  And it really doesn't imply those things because we're mass producing colonies and it's entirely possible for high powered tech to be automated but not well understood. Thats the entire idea of 40k isn't it? A  bunch of religious zealots using tech they barely understand?

Not to mention you have the fact that the players will not be given access to high tech gear. Bounty hunters and mercs don't get access to tactical nukes. So even if a robot man comes from some super high tech collective, he himself will not have access to it.

Yeah, that's my point exactly.  You get a free lunch.  You get to not understand the high powered tech that your society is based on, but still get to live.  You get to mass-produce a million individual designs.  You get to have the uber-specialized humans without the three million years of humanity and two billion years of eukaryotic life.

But it's all right because you aren't getting high-tech gear.  Because, you know, that isn't a relative or subjective term.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29298 on: March 04, 2016, 09:04:29 pm »

Yeah, that's my point exactly.  You get a free lunch.  You get to not understand the high powered tech that your society is based on, but still get to live.  You get to mass-produce a million individual designs.  You get to have the uber-specialized humans without the three million years of humanity and two billion years of eukaryotic life.

But it's all right because you aren't getting high-tech gear.  Because, you know, that isn't a relative or subjective term.
Without using google, or wikipedia, or other resources beyond what you personally have memorized, how much can you really tell us about how, precisely, a microchip is made? what about oil drilling? and what about the internet archetecture of southeast asia? the flight principals of VTOL jets?

there's a lot of our current society that you don't have to fully understand to use proficiently.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29299 on: March 04, 2016, 09:26:20 pm »

POP QUIZ:
HOW MANY ELECTRONS ARE IN A COLUMB AND IN WHICH DIRECTION DO THEY TRAVEL.
ALSO, WHAT IS SIN(45).
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29300 on: March 04, 2016, 09:28:19 pm »

POP QUIZ:
HOW MANY ELECTRONS ARE IN A COLUMB AND IN WHICH DIRECTION DO THEY TRAVEL.
ALSO, WHAT IS SIN(45).
A columb is not a unit of measure, and the direction that any electron would travel is dependent upon the electromagnetic fields or the arrangement of the wires.  But from negative to positive, nonetheless.

Did You Mean:Coulomb?
If so, 6.24150975*1018.

Is that in degrees, radians, or gradians?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:31:54 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #29301 on: March 04, 2016, 09:33:05 pm »

@ED
6.242×1018, downstream, 0.7071067812.

I have no idea what you asked, though.

@Piecewise

Will the Oroboropolis variants all use the random gun generator you made?  I had been looking forward to that.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29302 on: March 04, 2016, 09:34:40 pm »

@Syv:I already answered that...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29303 on: March 04, 2016, 09:42:04 pm »

Without using google, or wikipedia, or other resources beyond what you personally have memorized, how much can you really tell us about how, precisely, a microchip is made? what about oil drilling? and what about the internet archetecture of southeast asia? the flight principals of VTOL jets?

there's a lot of our current society that you don't have to fully understand to use proficiently.

* Devastator resists the urge to prattle about those examples just to show off..

So, how long do all those things last if nobody understands it?  Especially in ER's case, where the people who made it aren't here, and the techniques and technologies used to make it don't function in the new universe?  What happens if your microchip is leaky due to subtle quantum effects?  How do you troubleshoot that sort of issue?

I mean hell, in cave-verse siphons and pipes may not work properly.

I don't remember the size of the Coloumb, electrons travel from negative to positive, and 1/2 of the square root of two.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:47:54 pm by Devastator »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29305 on: March 04, 2016, 09:48:49 pm »

* Devastator resists the urge to prattle about those examples just to show off..

So, how long do all those things last if nobody understands it?  Especially in ER's case, where the people who made it aren't here, and the techniques and technologies used to make it don't function in the new universe?  What happens if your microchip is leaky due to subtle quantum effects?  How do you troubleshoot that sort of issue?

I mean hell, in cave-verse siphons and pipes may not work properly.

I don't remember the size of the Coloumb, electrons travel from negative to positive, and 1/2 of the square root of two.
You don't, and new stuff is designed to fix that, simple.
Alan help.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29306 on: March 04, 2016, 09:49:21 pm »

"I could totally list how all those things work of the top of my head, but I won't because I'm so humble." :P

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29307 on: March 04, 2016, 09:55:23 pm »

"I could totally list how all those things work of the top of my head, but I won't because I'm so humble." :P
Not that good, heh.  More than a tiny bit, though.  Jet engines are probably the simplest of it, and I could make some guesses at southeast asia.  ;-p

I am thinking, though, of the number of problems that come about from people not understanding these things today, where there are plenty of people who know the stuff properly, and the amount of time, money, and effort that goes into creating and employing these experts.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29308 on: March 04, 2016, 09:58:35 pm »

Well, why would new worlds not have their own experts? If not how things work now, about things that were invented later (contributing to the whole "humanity gon' get weird up in here, dog").

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29309 on: March 04, 2016, 10:03:31 pm »

On a semi-related note, imagine how insane wars would be between kingdoms in the cavern-verse.
Alan help.
Pages: 1 ... 1952 1953 [1954] 1955 1956 ... 2205