Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1933 1934 [1935] 1936 1937 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2489412 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #29010 on: February 29, 2016, 12:58:05 pm »

Not sure how to do the rolls though...it's unfortunate that Bay 12 doesn't have a built in dice rolling plugin. Maybe I can ask toady about installing one, since there are several that exist for simple machines and I think it would be a boon to the rather large RP community we have around here.
Was gonna suggest invisible castle, but that seems to be down. There seem to be alternatives though.

Yeah, stick a poll on the wiki and market it aggressively.
Can do, spam underway. Is the following wording good, and are there any other options you want to see:

Once the current version of ER ends, what kind game would you like to see pw run the most:

- some sort of follow up to ER which sticks rather close to it in terms of type of gameplay and tone
- some sort of follow up to ER but which differs wildly from the old one
- some completely different game, with no connection to ER whatsoever

I'll put it up once you've given the ok-go and send some pm's around to ensure we get good representation.

(Dearest wiki gnomes, please wait with putting up any polls, I'd rather put it up myself, so it coincides with the spam pm's.)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29011 on: February 29, 2016, 01:02:57 pm »

Note that I am fine with it technically being in the ER universe, but I dont want to see really any references to ER, or share the name. So I could vote either two or three, depending how I interpit it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29012 on: February 29, 2016, 01:05:52 pm »

If it doesn't have any references in it whatsoever, you might as well put it in a new universe, right?

Anyways, for the first two some sort of lore connection to old!ER is assumed, it's more about game mechanics and the feel/tone of the game.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29013 on: February 29, 2016, 01:08:09 pm »

I read a lot of RPG systems, and I came across a rather interesting one lately, Called Strike!

Where can I read about that system? I'll try to google it, but it sure feels nicer when a link is served to me on a plate  :P
http://www.strikerpg.com/

Not sure how to do the rolls though...it's unfortunate that Bay 12 doesn't have a built in dice rolling plugin. Maybe I can ask toady about installing one, since there are several that exist for simple machines and I think it would be a boon to the rather large RP community we have around here.
Was gonna suggest invisible castle, but that seems to be down. There seem to be alternatives though.

Yeah, stick a poll on the wiki and market it aggressively.
Can do, spam underway. Is the following wording good, and are there any other options you want to see:

Once the current version of ER ends, what kind game would you like to see pw run the most:

- some sort of follow up to ER which sticks rather close to it in terms of type of gameplay and tone
- some sort of follow up to ER but which differs wildly from the old one
- some completely different game, with no connection to ER whatsoever

I'll put it up once you've given the ok-go and send some pm's around to ensure we get good representation.

(Dearest wiki gnomes, please wait with putting up any polls, I'd rather put it up myself, so it coincides with the spam pm's.)
http://unseenservant.com/ seems to work.

Hmm.. as per those options, I think they work.

Note that I am fine with it technically being in the ER universe, but I dont want to see really any references to ER, or share the name. So I could vote either two or three, depending how I interpit it.
Any particular reason why?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29014 on: February 29, 2016, 01:15:13 pm »

Weird is good. Let's go with weird. You evidently have knack for weird.

That crafting system probably gets out of hand when people start coming up with new multifunctional parts. And more parts there are, harder it is to predict overpowered combinations. Perhaps limit availability of most potential parts? Maybe have a mission to scavange those parts from dangerous places?

You could probably leave the "on ship" part entirely for players, or co-GMs, but that's a big question of trust. It is easier to trust actual GM than your fellow players.

As per handling fights in forum games general I have been trying to come up with ideas to solve any fight in max three turns. Not much of luck yet with good ideas. This is what I have thought so far: Player comes across hostile entity. GM tells some details about the enemy and asks player how s/he wants to handle this situation. Basically "Here's enemy, it looks like this, it probably has these weapons, here's possible covers. You got this stuff. How you wanna handle it? Agressively spraying bullets everywhere, berserking up to his face, defensively taking potshots from cover, running on walls, or what?" Then roll and write prose how the fight goes and when it starts look bad for player, stop and ask if he's gonna change tactics or run away. And by third turn someone is either dead, incapacited or running away.
It leaves a lot less for players to roleplay, but solves fights reasonably fast. And gives opportunity to write more detailed turns for once (not hinting anything here). Dunno how it works in open world where more forces can join the battle at any time, but probably works on 1vs1. Probably. Should test it and think some more.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29015 on: February 29, 2016, 01:18:12 pm »

Let me lend support to the "New Game+" idea for assisting with character balance.  Leaving it optional will provide a "way out" for those players who want a fresh start, but not force those who like their characters to leave them.  For example, I think Lars has run his course of my interest a bit, but it's so late in ER's lifespan that I intend to run him through to the end.  If there was no end in sight and I could retire him to an NPC position and start new, I would.

I like the idea of the crafting system.  It's subject to balance, of course, but it has interesting potential.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29016 on: February 29, 2016, 01:25:30 pm »

The idea of the crafting system is this, assuming I might not have been clear:

I create the base items and the base recipes.

People suggest new recipes, and I choose to adopt them or not.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #29017 on: February 29, 2016, 01:31:18 pm »

What I'm interested is how you'll handle the weird for the Players. Like would using that automorphica you made be a good starting place or would it be to weird or would it be to normal?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29018 on: February 29, 2016, 01:32:57 pm »

Why come up with a whole new crafting system when you already have a tinker gnome to handle it for you?

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #29019 on: February 29, 2016, 01:39:24 pm »

Why come up with a whole new crafting system when you already have a tinker gnome to handle it for you?
Because this way he can mostly eliminate having to answer questions about armour thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #29020 on: February 29, 2016, 01:42:19 pm »

He pretty much has, though.  I've been answering the armor thickness questions. :P

Having parts doesn't really change tinker much beyond preventing people from using materials in roles they weren't intended for.  Like, say, forcefield bombs, or hexsand heatsinks.  Even then, it doesn't really prevent it, it just makes it more inconvenient to do.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #29021 on: February 29, 2016, 01:54:05 pm »

I think it's less the fact that it will prevent people from not using stuff in ways they weren't intended, and more that PW will just not give us those materials in the first place. Maybe.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #29022 on: February 29, 2016, 02:20:15 pm »

I kinda like the idea and kinda am unsure. I think the 5-10 players per [quicker] mission sounds like a great idea, but I will inevitably be kicking myself for not getting in in time to be one of the starting five. And then, the wait in the queue ...

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29023 on: February 29, 2016, 02:23:40 pm »

Perhaps there could be a lot of player-run faction stuff, then a limited but still fairly high number of missions? With power blocs evolving and crafting going on, we could do a lot in between missions.
One wheel short of a wagon

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #29024 on: February 29, 2016, 02:47:16 pm »

Well, if on-ship is partially player run, then we could have much grander on-ship activities.  Perhaps our ship, presumably being of the design Radio is currently making, would have large sections of it rendered dangerous due to crazy heabi/voodoo sharkmist/angry AI, so players could try and clear more of the ship.  Or maybe the whole thing would work like the deep infirmary, where we can't exactly make it safe, but we can explore and collect useful stuff.

It'd be interesting to start with only a small section of the ship safe, and as we play we build a larger, more extensive map of our home.  Later it could become important--the engines are damaged, so people have to search the ship for the engines and then establish a safe path to guide some engineers there...

...I still would prefer MMWW, though.  I really really want that.
Pages: 1 ... 1933 1934 [1935] 1936 1937 ... 2205