Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1931 1932 [1933] 1934 1935 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2488369 times)

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #28980 on: February 28, 2016, 05:47:03 pm »

I'd like to see more ER personally, though not necessarily in the exact form we know it now. Maybe more of an exploration game, where you're a bunch of impressionable young schmucks in a strange universe who, after getting their little heads filled with fantastical tales of your predecessor's antics, are now tasked to go find new resources and lands for your fledgling colony. Better hope you don't disturb the local fauna!

Hell, if those self-sustaining and expanding colonies work out, we could also become a sort of interdimensional goon squad who travel from dimension to dimension to solve whatever problems the colonists there have, to stay in the spirit of old ER. Need a hive of hostile crystal space bees taken out? Want some expendables to go grab some of those weird anomalous can openers over yonder? Is there inter-faction rivalry between different colonies that need some expert diplomats to talk through? Who better to ask than the spiritual incarnation of the HMRC!

Steve Garvey: >"Another dimension needs your help. They're under attack by the last team we sent to help them."
It was inevitable.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #28981 on: February 28, 2016, 06:52:41 pm »

That's just it. No eldritch fuckery happens. It's just that the source of your ability, the power to kill, to heal, to see, to resist, to run and to gun, all of it springs from garden-variety madness. You are a Lovecraft character with access to the most lethal weapons ever devised by man. The stress alienates you from the baseline, makes you stronger, but also progressively more crazed. You become a loosely carved tool of murder where once there stood an ordinary combat-trained schlub.

This has been my headcanon for virtually the entire game.  It makes things make much more sense.  Why'd Steve build his personal army out of completely insane inmates?  Because ocasionally that insanity results in power!

@Future of ER
I'd like to play an ER variant where the many disparate ships we send out end up losing most communication with each other, and split up into factions.  Then, all their commanders being predominantly descended from the HMRC/ARM, they go to war immediately upon discovering each other.

Even better, the various factions could all share a single religion which is a mixture of Lars' beliefs, and worship of the the various "heroes" of ARM.  Every splinter faction would have a different, twisted view of the religion--in one, Me-Moto would be the highest god, a benevolent Father who defends his followers, while another believes Meh Yammo was the iron fisted tyrant who cruelly tortured and ate his underlings while crushing any vestige of freedom.  One faction could worship Ma'reese, the bringer of change, the smiling god, the stalwart martyr who topples tyrants, while another faction would believe Mars was a crazed lunatic who, in his boundless lust, raped reality itself, destroying safety for all intelligent creatures and condemning humanity to an eternity of fleeing in terror.  The conflict would be natural and absolute!

Oh, and we could make Tinker retroactive.  You're still allowed to Tinker, but your designs are given to the next faction we go to war with, and the only way to get them for yourself is to take them from that faction.  Best way to balance it!

Nunzillor

« Reply #28982 on: February 28, 2016, 07:04:22 pm »

Welp, I was totally wrong about believeing the Heart of Darkness thing...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28983 on: February 28, 2016, 07:58:39 pm »

Still hoping for something totally unrelated to ER.
Airshiiiiiips...

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #28985 on: February 28, 2016, 08:16:41 pm »

Mad Max With Wizaaaaards,,,
Mad Merlin?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28986 on: February 28, 2016, 08:21:01 pm »

See the Curious Case of the Thermonuclear Door.
Every time someone mentions that, I die a little bit more inside.
In contrast to the event itself, where you died a whole lot more on the outside.
I'm sorry, but can I just draw attention to the sheer magnitude of this sick burn?
Damn, that's an even harsher burn than the incident itself. Phew.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28987 on: February 28, 2016, 08:35:26 pm »

Me too.
Mad Max With Wizaaaaards...
Mad Max with Wizards and Airships?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28988 on: February 28, 2016, 08:38:43 pm »

Me too.
Mad Max With Wizaaaaards...
Mad Max with Wizards and Airships?
aw yis
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #28989 on: February 28, 2016, 08:39:24 pm »

...It is remarkable how well that would work with the lore of both settings.

Not with the mechanics, though.  MMWW is far too high power and variable for Airships, and Airships are far too structured for MMWW.  MMWW would have to die for airships to be involved, so I am forced to crusade against Airships.

It's for the better, anyway.  From what little I remember from assisting with Airships' gunplay system, it is better left as an unfinished pipe dream.  IIRC, PW couldn't handle the complexity anyway.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28990 on: February 28, 2016, 08:54:30 pm »

Doesn't have to be the same system, I just love the concept and world.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #28991 on: February 28, 2016, 08:54:42 pm »

huh so based off the er talk, draco smells like peaches...wonder what he tastes like.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:56:58 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28992 on: February 28, 2016, 09:27:51 pm »

Ah yes, I was trying to remember the name of that airship game. Mainspring.
Link if anyone wants to check it out/remember it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #28993 on: February 28, 2016, 11:59:29 pm »

In terms of progression, I'd throw out two possibilities.

1)  A system that grants perks which are fairly unique, but have non-traditional drawbacks.  This would lead to characters being interesting in their own way, yet perhaps not too powerful.  The perks wouldn't be "now you can shoot guns better" but something more akin to "your character is attracted to rocks.  You can select a certain number of rocks to nurture and care for, and throw them with high accuracy.  However, should you throw one, you must compulsively retrieve them" or "Your skin heals quickly, but scars, and the healing process makes you crave raw flesh of intelligent beings."  Maybe give characters a limited degree of choice over them as well.  "You can pick either of these two powers.  You can also pass, but then you get nothing for this progression."

2)  Something akin to the first Multiworld Madness.  Powers were trained on use, and they evolved as to how they were used.  Some got abilities that were more powerful, or lasted longer, or were less prone to failure.  Basically, have skills custom-tailored by how the owner used them.

In terms of world, I'd say start with something completely new.  ER Beyond is an interesting concept, but I think it's time to move on.  It just wouldn't be the same without the familiar faces; if you're ditching those, you might as well start with a completely fresh slate.  I'd rather see an epilogue for the game and them move on.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #28994 on: February 29, 2016, 01:12:59 am »

I actually really like that first idea.
Pages: 1 ... 1931 1932 [1933] 1934 1935 ... 2205