Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1903 1904 [1905] 1906 1907 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2485612 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #28560 on: February 12, 2016, 10:19:55 pm »

So I started a project and I need contributors. Basically I'm trying to establish a community run universe contained within its own wiki page. If you are interested please check it out, contribute your own ideas, and share it so we can establish a thriving community. I'm sharing this here because there are a lot of creative people here and the world of Einsteinian roulette was a massive inspiration for this project.

here's the link http://shadow-of-the-void.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Void_Wikia
you may get some use out of the random generators you can find in my sig link. I often use them for things in er. 

They're html too so you could even host the on the wiki if you wanted to.

regardless it's an interesting project idea. But I think that in order for it to work out you're gonna need to throw down some basic universe guidelines.  Just  the basics of physics and the degree of "hardness" of the universe. The tyranny of choice is often the death of unguided endeavors; people like enough structure to give them something to build off of but enough freedom to feel like their choices matter.
Thanks for your input Piecewise. I have some plans to shake things up if it doesn't take off right away. If need be I will establish some rules for the universe, such as magic and what not, but for now I'm going to see if the community can set those down. I want this to be made by the community as much as possible, although I do realize that I may need to set some things in place for this to work right
there have been numerous "create a universe" threads in forum gmaes and roleplaying here on Bay 12. you should start one or thrree of those before deciding to let the community make all the rules. in general they fizzle prettyquickly when mutually incompatible mad gods make mutually incompatible rules and attempt to dominate, destroy, or subvert everything about the setting

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #28561 on: February 13, 2016, 01:25:39 am »

Hey quick question, why not move a bucnh of probes covered in camera, screens and speakers back and forth between the psycic acid and lurker univers and see what happens? Ooh and add in that one unvierse that causes things to grind against the wall towards what I presume is origin
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28562 on: February 13, 2016, 01:28:59 am »

I do think you should give Lurker mindacid out of petty revenge for SCIENCE.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28563 on: February 13, 2016, 03:43:17 am »

Somehow performing psychic warfare against an entity known to encompass several dimensions strikes me as... overly ambitious.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28564 on: February 13, 2016, 03:44:32 am »

Somehow performing psychic warfare against an entity known to encompass several dimensions strikes me as... overly ambitious.
And did that ever stopped us from trying?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28565 on: February 13, 2016, 03:48:14 am »

Certainly not. I just wanna act smug when everyone's on fractal fire and screaming.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28566 on: February 13, 2016, 03:49:02 am »

I say we just get a whole load of those spiders from that other universe and start dumping them onto hospitable planets on the edges of human-occupied space. Just as a final "Fuck You" to the Lurker. You can have our damn universe, hope you like spiders.

Then, when Earth and the universe we once called home are but a distant memory, a lingering legend spoken of but no longer believed, they will come. Cloaked with flames of white, moving jerkily in lock-step. And it will follow them. The inky blackness. The lightning. The Black Pyramid. That which slew God. Pillars will rise, stars will die. We shall see it once more, the heart of a god which does not care, the gaze of an eye which does not see. The Spider HMRC, wielding the power of their Origin, their new god, the Lurker in the Angles shall come for us. And incompetence shall reign once more.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 04:11:48 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #28567 on: February 13, 2016, 08:23:13 am »

Certainly not. I just wanna act smug when everyone's on fractal fire and screaming.
What would that look like?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28568 on: February 13, 2016, 08:33:49 am »

Obviously they'd be on fire, and the tongues of flame would take the form of enormous maggots. That are also on fire. And made of fire. And that fire takes the form of smaller flaming maggots and so on. And the concept of fireproof materials is on fire so nothing will save them from the fire. And the concept of fire is on fire. And the concept of concepts being on fire is on fire. And literally everything is so on fire that even thinking about that event in-universe results in spontaneous fractal combustion.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #28569 on: February 13, 2016, 10:39:01 am »

So I started a project and I need contributors. Basically I'm trying to establish a community run universe contained within its own wiki page. If you are interested please check it out, contribute your own ideas, and share it so we can establish a thriving community. I'm sharing this here because there are a lot of creative people here and the world of Einsteinian roulette was a massive inspiration for this project.

here's the link http://shadow-of-the-void.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Void_Wikia
you may get some use out of the random generators you can find in my sig link. I often use them for things in er. 

They're html too so you could even host the on the wiki if you wanted to.

regardless it's an interesting project idea. But I think that in order for it to work out you're gonna need to throw down some basic universe guidelines.  Just  the basics of physics and the degree of "hardness" of the universe. The tyranny of choice is often the death of unguided endeavors; people like enough structure to give them something to build off of but enough freedom to feel like their choices matter.
Thanks for your input Piecewise. I have some plans to shake things up if it doesn't take off right away. If need be I will establish some rules for the universe, such as magic and what not, but for now I'm going to see if the community can set those down. I want this to be made by the community as much as possible, although I do realize that I may need to set some things in place for this to work right
i have the urge to throw down some very random stuff as the basis of the universe and just see where it goes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28570 on: February 13, 2016, 10:46:03 am »

i have the urge to throw down some very random stuff as the basis of the universe and just see where it goes.

energy = time x mass

gravity = (mass/acceleration) x net charge

mass = charge/volume
One wheel short of a wagon

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28571 on: February 13, 2016, 10:50:53 am »

I've added a few pages, nothing but a few bones; please feel free to develop on them.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #28572 on: February 13, 2016, 11:11:21 am »

What about a universe where the speed of light varies based on gravity?

Or maybe a purely Newtonian universe, where there is no relativity, no time dilation and there are only three dimensions.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28573 on: February 13, 2016, 03:04:19 pm »

Creating a universe with different physics rules can be interesting, but the implications would be so far-reaching I think it'd be difficult to actually implement it in a way that's not just normal-physics-but-with-a-gimmick. But it'd be an interesting challenge nonetheless.

One thing you could try: look at (old and) disproven physics theories, and say they are correct in your universe. Because then you can look at the body of works arond it to help work out some implications. Like, say, cosmic aether exists in some form. Or look at current unproven theories to start from. Like, say, the one-electron universe one.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 03:10:04 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Swords-Otter

• Bay Watcher
  • "there is always hope"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28574 on: February 13, 2016, 03:04:24 pm »

I've added a few pages, nothing but a few bones; please feel free to develop on them.
Thanks Maegil. What you posted is exactly the kind of thing we're looking for.

Everyone else please be careful about adding anything to weird, as it could make it intimidating for many people to contribute.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 03:13:25 pm by Swords-Otter »
There are two types of great forts. Theres "hey guys look at my awesome fort were we kill all the invaders and have steel everything". Then there's
 "Holy **** every thing is all ****ed up What the **** have we done ?"
Pages: 1 ... 1903 1904 [1905] 1906 1907 ... 2205