Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1881 1882 [1883] 1884 1885 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2487155 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #28230 on: February 06, 2016, 03:14:32 am »

I would like to see Nyars in action, but...
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28231 on: February 06, 2016, 04:32:57 am »

Talking of hard sci-fi, what happens if you fire a very strong, focused, linear laser at a piece of metal? I was reading an Adam Roberts book (Salt) recently, and he involves a weapon called a needlegun, in which tiny lines of metal are split off from a mass of metal by a laser and propelled by it at very high speeds towards the target. Any good physicists here know if he was being liberal with the definition of laser, or if it might actually sort of work?

Roberts is generally pretty hard sci-fi, though it's not his main thing.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:38:16 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28232 on: February 06, 2016, 04:38:53 am »

Laser is by definition focused and linear. Laser would apply energy on the piece of metal. Depending of strength of the laser it would melt the spot slowly or explosively fast. Explosively fast melting would probably send rapidly cooling droplets of molten metal in any available direction and perhaps bend the metal around the spot.

Not a physicists, just applying the little I know.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28233 on: February 06, 2016, 04:41:05 am »

Thanks. Gonna have to reread that book.
One wheel short of a wagon

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28234 on: February 06, 2016, 05:53:22 am »

Or maybe this is a giant geode. An eldritch geode in an otherwise normal universe. I mean, why should our universe be the only one with weird artifacts in it? Then all you'd need to do is find a way out.

Thats... an amazingly good point. Maybe the Heph team should send the probe in at various massive distances from the normal location to see whether this is the case.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #28235 on: February 06, 2016, 05:57:50 am »

m26 is so screwed. Again.

I wonder how many universes the Lurker has already consumed and how many it is currently consuming and how many entities of like power there are in the multiverse.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #28236 on: February 06, 2016, 06:00:33 am »

It's actually kinda funny, the universe right now wouldn't be made very much worse by adding the Flood in.

Sure says something.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28237 on: February 06, 2016, 06:08:07 am »

Or maybe this is a giant geode. An eldritch geode in an otherwise normal universe. I mean, why should our universe be the only one with weird artifacts in it? Then all you'd need to do is find a way out.
Thats... an amazingly good point. Maybe the Heph team should send the probe in at various massive distances from the normal location to see whether this is the case.
Though on the flipside, it could be an oasis of (relative) normality in a universe almost completely consumed by eldritch beings and we'll find that all the universes are somehow even worse off than us :P
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #28238 on: February 06, 2016, 06:21:33 am »

It's actually kinda funny, the universe right now wouldn't be made very much worse by adding the Flood in.

Sure says something.
I'm pretty sure the flood never ate stars and reformed after being shot or turned space into unlivable seas of black goo filled with strange beings or fought as an equal to what one could call a god.

Letting the flood in would probably be like letting the spiders from the infect-everyone-with-parasitic-spiders-verse in. Just another day in the office for the HMRC.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28239 on: February 06, 2016, 06:53:51 am »

Can I get added to a team.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28240 on: February 06, 2016, 06:56:55 am »

Can I get added to a team.
Added and podded.
Old sigs.
Games.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28241 on: February 06, 2016, 08:20:09 am »

Oh, lord it has been a long time since good old Teamkiller. Piecewise, you're a god amongst GMs.

So how exactly is this working these days? I'll create a character in a bit, but like as far as missions and general actions and shit what's goin on? I've not read or interacted with anything since Mission 3, and I'm fairly sure I got murdered at some point.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28242 on: February 06, 2016, 08:43:42 am »

Oh, lord it has been a long time since good old Teamkiller. Piecewise, you're a god amongst GMs.

So how exactly is this working these days? I'll create a character in a bit, but like as far as missions and general actions and shit what's goin on? I've not read or interacted with anything since Mission 3, and I'm fairly sure I got murdered at some point.
Well, we have a wiki. Full of information.
Altered are back. They were never actually defeated. They eat stars.
Constant contest of which team fucks up everything worst has really escalated to impossible levels.
We are now evacuating this universe because of above mentioned matter. Though Mission 26 is trying hard to doom this universe all permanently.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:45:21 am by AoshimaMichio »
Old sigs.
Games.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28243 on: February 06, 2016, 08:49:18 am »

You weren't so much murdered as put into storage and turned into fodder for genetic modification.

In any case, missions work the same as they used to, except much of the bureaucracy is outsourced to wiki gnomes. The character system was overhauled (points work differently now, and professions aren't a thing anymore).

Also, endgame is nearly upon us, and everything's quite chaotic as a result. Nevertheless, put up a sheet and you can still do stuff on ship. Purchases are done through the new Armory thread. Stuff you can purchase is found in the wiki. Pretty much everything is found in the wiki, really, but most stuff you don't really need to know and a lot of it can be rather distracting.

Among your options are joining one of the new crop of missions (kidnap/coerce/convince civilians to come with us to another universe, since everything is fucked and that glorious magic of amps and manipulators has backfired terribly), going on Mr. Bone's Wild Ride (the Doctor has gone off-ship and the back of the infirmary where he keeps his experiments needs some cleaning) and garden-variety faffing about the ship while you try to get your bearings.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28244 on: February 06, 2016, 08:53:49 am »

You weren't so much murdered as put into storage and turned into fodder for genetic modification.
Hooray?

I'll spend a couple hours trying to figure things out and we'll see what I come up with.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.
Pages: 1 ... 1881 1882 [1883] 1884 1885 ... 2205