Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1880 1881 [1882] 1883 1884 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2486922 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #28215 on: February 05, 2016, 08:11:37 pm »

I'd like confirmation on whether or not I can join the mission please
I'm ok with it. I mean, we've got like what, 20 fucking newbies already right? Whats 21
5 more destroyed houses?
I'm pretty sure the newbie/house destroyed ratio increases exponentially the more newbies you put in.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #28216 on: February 05, 2016, 08:36:21 pm »

I just... I no longer have any idea what to do on M26.  Should I just shock everyone unconcious again, and hope for the best?  Return all probes to their home universe, and hope that stops this?  Nuke it from orbit?  Say "Fuck This" and just leave?  All of the above?

And, afterward, how can we possibly improve safety protocols?  "Nobody sapient can observe test rooms.  We use an echolocation device to assess the topology of each probe when it comes in, and have an automated computer system check if it has any major deviations from standard probe shape.  It is immediately returned to a null universe after the sound scan is done, and then returned to home if the scan shows serious anomalies/the computer starts melting or screaming.  If no anomalies are shown, a mad hatter'd version of the feed is shown to a sod on a warship 80 AU away from anything, and if it fails to die, the feed is shown un-mad hatter'd.  Then shown to a human if things continue to not explode.  Then, maybe, if the human reports anything positive, we might bring the probe back."

At which point we learn that it only becomes anomalous after ten seconds in our universe.  *sigh*

@Irony

Braincased people can have enhanced capacity mods.  Saint has one for aux, actually.
It's a little late for the "shock everyone unconscious" bit. That waws SOP for the sods left in charge of our mine pigeons who were watching the testing rooms. The sods were to guard the humans, and at the first sign of fuckery, were to shock them unconscious. Goddammit, second universe in two weeks where we are mind raped without even entering the universe personally.

If you want to do human testing, buy the mewling fleshmass. Sods are for Worf Effect only under ARM rule.

On the subject of Heph... what was wrong with the Cavernsverse? It's by far the least hostile, and seems to be capable of supporting our little escape pod. Maybe instead of casting ever more fishing lines into the shark tank, you should reel in the guppy.
We were building an outpost there and transferring the necessities. PW lost track of our colonization efforts like, every round since we started doing them. BUt, when we first explored the cavernverse, two things stood out to me. 1) there was not a single microbe of life in them. This is surprisingly uncommon in our travels so far, excluding nullverses. 2) the gravity gets exponentially stronger very quickly toward the "walls, floors, and ceiling" of the caverns. By all rights, no standard matter should survive in there, as it should all be crushed into infinite density at the center of the gravity fields that make up the cavern structure.

But since normal matter does exist, and there are no observable eldritch nightmares or toxins, it is a reasonable place to at least attempt to set up. But we don't know if it is long term viable, and mission parameters were "the more habitable universi, the better." Turns out, we are hitting eldritch nightmares at about ten times the rate of potentially nonhostile universes. and this is not including standard hostile universes like spiderverse or the pink slime verse or Fractalverse. Nope, ten "eat your brain through a straw" universe per one "maybe we aren't doomed immediately if we live there" verse.

We're trying, really. Guh.

If Sanity's Requiem has taught me anything, we need one more eldritch horror to invade the universe, such that three of them fight and each destroys another, all while our resident eldricth horror slowly dies in it's chains.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:48:22 pm by Ozarck »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28217 on: February 05, 2016, 09:50:46 pm »

Someone get Egan's character a crowbar.  Stat.
Working on it. I'll wait for wiki gnomes to put him on the wiki to make purchases.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #28218 on: February 05, 2016, 10:13:22 pm »

The only  problem with the cavern universe is where do you get energy? There's no sun, no free floating hydrogen, nothing but rocks and minerals.

I guess you could keep exploring and hope you find uranium or some mineral that holds hydrogen or something else you can use to do fusion. Maybe you could even use the extreme gravity to make cheaper fusion reactors.

Or maybe this is a giant geode. An eldritch geode in an otherwise normal universe. I mean, why should our universe be the only one with weird artifacts in it? Then all you'd need to do is find a way out.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #28219 on: February 05, 2016, 11:18:06 pm »

ugh.

I like this more streamlined version of Xcom but goddamn it I wish it was less buggy and less cheating. I've got guys shooting through walls, people walking through cars,  hacking prompts glitching into walls where they're inaccessible, all sorts of fun.

But The thing that bugs me the most is the fact that they stack the odds heavily for the computer in ways that are pretty bullshit.  Particularly how it allows the Enemies to take free, unopposed moves when I find them. It means they can just run around and flank me almost no matter what.  Not to mention there's this new "stealth" mechanic but it is almost pointless. Once you do a single attack you're all instantly un-stealthed and every enemy knows where you are.

Did I mention that every single mission now has a timer for incredibly contrived reasons?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28220 on: February 05, 2016, 11:47:25 pm »

I'd like to join one of the rookie teams, team 3 seems best.

Nunzillor

« Reply #28221 on: February 05, 2016, 11:58:05 pm »

Added to team 3 for now, but someone may want to add another team.  Not sure.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28222 on: February 06, 2016, 12:58:56 am »

I just had a terrifying interesting idea.
Einsteinian Roulette and WH40K crossover.

I should stop thinking at 1 in the morning.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #28223 on: February 06, 2016, 01:01:27 am »

I just had a terrifying interesting idea.
Einsteinian Roulette and WH40K crossover.

I should stop thinking at 1 in the morning.
Sounds kind of... boring. Unless humanity isn't always doomed in that version, but then it's kind of samey.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #28224 on: February 06, 2016, 01:03:27 am »

Ha, already thought of that like ... 2 years ago

Ultimately ER's too hard-leaning on the hard-soft sci-fi scale to really keep up in the setting of Orks and Tyranids and stuff.

Altered, probably. Everything else, not so much.

Until we accidentally start eating the universe of course.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28225 on: February 06, 2016, 01:03:56 am »

JV-241 hasn't been added to the current mission information page yet.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28226 on: February 06, 2016, 01:05:49 am »

Ha, already thought of that like ... 2 years ago

Ultimately ER's too hard-leaning on the hard-soft sci-fi scale to really keep up in the setting of Orks and Tyranids and stuff.

Altered, probably. Everything else, not so much.

Until we accidentally start eating the universe of course.
I was thinking more in terms of the HERESY that is The Doctor/Steve/anyone of a certain power level.  And then how we could blow up everything.
EXPLOSIONSSS
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Nunzillor

« Reply #28227 on: February 06, 2016, 01:23:20 am »

JV-241 hasn't been added to the current mission information page yet.
Arbitrarily added to team 1.  Dunno if he should be podded.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28228 on: February 06, 2016, 02:23:32 am »

I podded all newbies, just for sake of getting the new mission going on.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28229 on: February 06, 2016, 02:49:18 am »

Thank you. I was going to send PM's to the remaining few newbies on Team 1 to get podded. But wiki gnome magic is faster and more effective.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!
Pages: 1 ... 1880 1881 [1882] 1883 1884 ... 2205