Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1677 1678 [1679] 1680 1681 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2485688 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #25170 on: December 02, 2015, 01:16:59 pm »

Heck, didn't PW say the UWM was worse off for this than us?  And we made some of their nastiest weapons (ghost ships, titans) as much a threat to them as us?  I'd call that a success!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25171 on: December 02, 2015, 02:03:41 pm »

I've been browsing the wiki, and stumbled upon the "State of War" update: http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/The_War_Effort

*rant-rant-rant*
May I cautiously suggest not rating a mission result until debriefing has been held? Now, personally, I'd probably agree that it was a mission failure, but not for the reasons stated, and I think that, under the circumstances that happened, we did pretty okay (M22 is good for comparison here, encountering 'force of nature' enemy and dealing with it in the best way possible). And that's beside the question of whether the incursion can be counted as result of Maurice's actions or merely a whim of RNGod, but I will spare you the rhetorics I'm saving for my trial. :P

P.S. Could we perhaps replace the "failure" in that sentence with "disaster"? "Utterly massive disaster on a scale never before seen." Kinda neutral and shifts the focus from "Who is responsible?" to much more important and productive "And what are we going to do now?", while preserving the initial idea of the mission "contribution" to war effort.  ;D

P.P.S. But hey, we wiped UWM! That's gotta count for something, right?

Hey now! If mission success would be described as a RTD dice roll then what we got was 6! Mission objective was to study the anomaly. We did that. With some unexpected side effects.

Edit: We should start doing that. Describing mission outcome as a RTD dice roll.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25172 on: December 02, 2015, 02:59:58 pm »

I've been browsing the wiki, and stumbled upon the "State of War" update: http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/The_War_Effort

*rant-rant-rant*
May I cautiously suggest not rating a mission result until debriefing has been held? Now, personally, I'd probably agree that it was a mission failure, but not for the reasons stated, and I think that, under the circumstances that happened, we did pretty okay (M22 is good for comparison here, encountering 'force of nature' enemy and dealing with it in the best way possible). And that's beside the question of whether the incursion can be counted as result of Maurice's actions or merely a whim of RNGod, but I will spare you the rhetorics I'm saving for my trial. :P

P.S. Could we perhaps replace the "failure" in that sentence with "disaster"? "Utterly massive disaster on a scale never before seen." Kinda neutral and shifts the focus from "Who is responsible?" to much more important and productive "And what are we going to do now?", while preserving the initial idea of the mission "contribution" to war effort.  ;D

P.P.S. But hey, we wiped UWM! That's gotta count for something, right?
Okay. You make this point a lot. Like every time you see something or someone claim there were problems on M21.

Maurice examined the central point of the anomaly and opened a portal (so to speak) to the Lurker, or whatever. Fine, it was a reasonable enough action
Pancaek got too close to a puppet and became one. fine, it could have been avoided but wasn't. ultimately, he escaped, so there's that.

Maurice and Morul had a race to see who could become the avatar of the extrauniversal eater of worlds.

as for failure verses any other descriptor: failure doesn't place blame. However, I think Maurice knew well enough that the goal of the war and the missions was to prevent exactly this event. Maurice failed to prevent exactly this event. M21 was a failure, not for the stated, immediate goal of "look at that thingy and poke it with a stick to see what it does" but for the implied goal of "and make sure it doesn't eat us all."

Settle down and take your lumps, man.

As for mission briefing, well, if Steve decided it wasn't a "failure" per se, then you can strut around and go "told you so" to all of us whose opinion is that yes, yes it was.

By the way, I don't recall anyone ever actually saying "good going Nik, you ruined the game," or anything either. A successful mission that brings misery to the players is a bigger failure than an unsuccessful one that brings excitement and interest. (case in point, M22 at least in one aspect.)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25173 on: December 02, 2015, 03:40:18 pm »

-snip-
By the way, I don't recall anyone ever actually saying "good going Nik, you ruined the game," or anything either. A successful mission that brings misery to the players is a bigger failure than an unsuccessful one that brings excitement and interest. (case in point, M22 at least in one aspect.)

Unfortunately, that's exactly the point levelled at me far too often. All in all, I agree with most of your summary, and I wouldn't even mind if Steve directly told us ICly that "you ruined it all" - I'd have to suck it up and live with it. But, out of necessity, I have to be over-defensive whenever M21 disaster is mentioned because the mission is my responsibility, after all, and I'm just a bit tired of OOC-based accusations "thanks for ruining everything". I am at fault, I guess, and the mission is, in the big scheme of things, a disaster on galactic scale, but in the face of such pressure I find that I have to provide counter-pressure to get the agreed-upon view to the 'fair' middle point variant.

It might look different to an outside observer, and for that I must apologise. I am just as tired of it as you probably are of my ramblings.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25174 on: December 02, 2015, 03:47:27 pm »

What! It'd take a really terrible person to say you ruined the game or anything. I mean, you may have actually given the entire war a chance of eventual success. All that stockpiled UWM Wunderwaffe isn't looking so sweet anymore, huh?

It's just that you've likely killed like a trillion innocent people as an indirect result.

I wonder what the UWM's going to do to investigate this. I imagine wherever Origin actually is, it's probably more easily accessible to them than us. Are they going to poke it some more, then? Break out the PK meters?

All in all, though, the circumstances were not exactly what I'd describe as being under your control. What could you have done differently to prevent this that would have made sense at that moment? Only thing I can think of is the team shooting both you and Morul down before you got to the horrible pyramid, because the race was a genuinely ill-conceived idea. And even then I'm not sure it would have helped. Since apparently piecewise did manage to get the ungodly fuck-you result on the black dice or something like that (not that anyone knows that IC).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:52:16 pm by Harry Baldman »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25175 on: December 02, 2015, 03:49:20 pm »

Did you try turning it off then back on again?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #25176 on: December 02, 2015, 04:14:31 pm »

Yeah, you haven't ruined the game at all! I like the fact that you've actually shaken up some mechanics of the game, it keeps things fresh.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25177 on: December 02, 2015, 04:35:33 pm »

Guys m22 totally won. Age of dakka. Almost. Right? ;D
One wheel short of a wagon

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25178 on: December 02, 2015, 04:37:38 pm »

M23 has probably won the hardest though. The black ops stayed dark as fuck.

But seriously, Maurice didn't ruin a goddamn thing. He just cracked reality a little more than it was. Hell, Xan's done much worse things, IMO.

Besides, we're going to have a cozy new home universe while the UWM festers and dies here.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25179 on: December 02, 2015, 04:51:01 pm »

If anything, we should thank Maurice for considerably lowering the possibility of every mission ending in a manipulator overload. It was starting to get a little ridiculous.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #25180 on: December 02, 2015, 04:51:27 pm »

M23 has probably won the hardest though. The black ops stayed dark as fuck.

But seriously, Maurice didn't ruin a goddamn thing. He just cracked reality a little more than it was. Hell, Xan's done much worse things, IMO.

Besides, we're going to have a cozy new home universe while the UWM festers and dies here.
yay?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25181 on: December 02, 2015, 04:53:37 pm »

good going nik, you ruined origin tech.

now I have to decide if I care.

conclusion:
no I do not, alien can openers are even more important now and that can only mean higher profits when we find them.
I thank you for your exceptional work in service to capitalism.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 04:59:23 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25182 on: December 02, 2015, 05:09:21 pm »

I'd say that Maurice the character did the right thing which happened to fuck the universe up for the glory of science and should be slapped repeatedly in a firm, brisk manner.

Nik as a player did the 'wrong' thing and resulted in a reshuffle of the bland meta, and should be slapped repeatedly with a fish to congratulate him in the native language of the ER player.

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25183 on: December 02, 2015, 06:03:03 pm »

-snip-

Unfortunately, that's exactly the point levelled at me far too often. All in all, I agree with most of your summary, and I wouldn't even mind if Steve directly told us ICly that "you ruined it all" - I'd have to suck it up and live with it. But, out of necessity, I have to be over-defensive whenever M21 disaster is mentioned because the mission is my responsibility, after all, and I'm just a bit tired of OOC-based accusations "thanks for ruining everything". I am at fault, I guess, and the mission is, in the big scheme of things, a disaster on galactic scale, but in the face of such pressure I find that I have to provide counter-pressure to get the agreed-upon view to the 'fair' middle point variant.

It might look different to an outside observer, and for that I must apologise. I am just as tired of it as you probably are of my ramblings.
As an outsider to that mission, I had to look at that thread very VERY hard to find actual responsible fault. It didnt loom like there was much you guys could do.
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25184 on: December 02, 2015, 08:35:55 pm »

I, as an occasional manip user, am acrually grateful to nik for breaking them.

Now I have to use my powers of creativity and kleptomania to overcome my prolems instead of just mindlessly magicking them away.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 1677 1678 [1679] 1680 1681 ... 2205