Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1671 1672 [1673] 1674 1675 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2486869 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #25080 on: November 29, 2015, 03:59:13 am »

I don't think quite a few of us are pissed off or anything - shit, I fully intend to join in the next ... whenever my laziness lets up. Probably a few days so I can properly birth a Xan expy.

I dunno, to me imitation sincerest form of flattery and all.

Think it just unnerved a few peeps what with how similar the openings and stuff were.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25081 on: November 29, 2015, 04:04:11 am »

-snip-
The only person whose opinion matters in this matter is PW, and he doesn't exactly seem pissed. Especially considering his whole "using my games and systems shall free me of this oddly specific gypsy curse" attitude.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25082 on: November 29, 2015, 04:16:39 am »

We still love you, Talv! Maybe some of us could even.give you a hand with level design and kitten herding.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25083 on: November 29, 2015, 04:18:26 am »

You guys must live in a diffrent timezone it's 1am for me right now good I don't really need sleep on a saturday.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25084 on: November 29, 2015, 05:06:55 am »

Saw this on the "bad box art" thread.

Wonder if that's where PW gets those strange images for the game...
One wheel short of a wagon

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25085 on: November 29, 2015, 05:14:47 am »

The WAAAALL!

Hey man, like others have said, the only one whose opinion really matters here is the gm's, consider the rest of us as so much bleating sheep.

That said, yeah, I might have been a bit smarter to notify PW (and maybe drop a linky in here) when you started, to ensure he was on board (which he very probably would be, he doesn't mind people using his systems) and so nobody would feel as if this thing was going on 'in secret'. Making the 'inspired by' banner a bit more obvious on the OP might also help, it honestly looks kinda hidden in plain sight.

Finally, what I think ticks some of us sheep of a little is that some things (armory entries and the intro text, for example) are copied, but with minor alterations to it, making it look like you were copying it but tried to hide the fact rather clumsily. Even though that was probably not the intention, coupled with the fact it wasn't really announced in here, that's the impression I got at first.

As for the paypall, if it doesn't work, maybe just remove it? Or make it work and ask PW if he wants a cut from the proceeding?

All in all, good luck with your game, I hope you and your players will enjoy yourselves. I'd hop over and join, but I have my hands full here already herding our own suicidal cats, so I think I'll just observe the ancient tradition of lurking.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 05:16:25 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25086 on: November 29, 2015, 06:01:13 am »

That whole game is as "loosely based" on ER as my speech is "loosely based" on my thoughts.

Tries to be the same, but not quite all the time so, both unintentionally and deliberately in some aspects.
EDIT I'm just making an analogy here. Have no idea who the GM of that game is.
"Loosely based" is indeed very loosely defined.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25087 on: November 29, 2015, 06:42:36 am »

Not as loose as YOUR BUM HAHAHA

[/8th grade humour]
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #25088 on: November 29, 2015, 06:51:57 am »

@Talvieno: As others said, if piecewise is cool with it, I'm double plus cool with it. I mean, even though you may have copied a lot of things, it's obvious you've put a lot of work in the game and in trying to make it fun for the players.

I simply said that informing piecewise beforehand seemed like the polite thing to do, because he hadn't published a ruleset or anything like that and the game was still ongoing.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25089 on: November 29, 2015, 07:22:10 am »

@Talvieno As others said, as long as PW is cool with it, we're cool too. I've read some of the rules, armory, and part of mission thread, and I have to admit that you put a lot of work in it, even if based on Piecewise's assets, and it's distinct enough (SCAMPS isn't STEVE, for one - he has quite different relationship with inmates, and that is plain obvious, even though they use similar voice-colors; and that's beside mentioning the biggest difference - ship-oriented vs. 'infantry'-oriented). I think it's okay to use someone else's assets as long as you mention the creator, and now we see that you used them in good faith (rather than 'ripped off' as we might have initially feared). So - good luck!

Milno Plate (Strapped to an mk-3): Light vs Full?
Flight, definitely. Basically, the most armor Hephaestus scientific crew could fit onto a Mk III and still keep the famous Mk III-grade flight capabilities.
(That's... 'light' variant according to wiki? Oh well.)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25090 on: November 29, 2015, 07:32:03 am »

@Talvieno: it's all good if piecewise approves, and looking at the game I don't see any particularly compelling reason why he wouldn't (it is a rare and flattering thing to be an influential forum game GM, after all). Looks pretty good, and is definitely a distinct game. Probably the most successful ER-derived game I've seen thus far, even. Keep up the good work, though maybe edit the OP a little.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 07:44:00 am by Harry Baldman »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25091 on: November 29, 2015, 09:15:10 am »

Throw in an acknowledgement and a link in the OP, and, since you were the one to approach PW, instead of him finding out otherwise, have fun with your game.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25092 on: November 29, 2015, 09:21:58 am »

Way I see it his game is more like a parallel worlds D&D campaign than a truly new RTD.

That in itself isnt such a bad thing, I mean just look at all the different perplexicon clones.
sometimes a fresh take on things is fun.

little heads up at the start of the game would have been good manners, but as long as he isnt profiting off of piecewise' efforts and credits him properly I dont really see any issues if its a legitimate spino-off.

Edit:
on an unrelated note, how invincible do we suspect the M24 facility to be?
Krillin punching Frieza in the face invincible?
or trying to kill Superman with a solar death ray invincible?

aka do we lack the capability, or is it just never going to work?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:28:00 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #25093 on: November 29, 2015, 10:30:44 am »

:( I certainly wasn't meaning to piss anybody off, I can tell you that much. To be honest, I just wanted to be able to play an RPG with my friends over on the LT Forums, and I'd always thought Einsteinian Roulette was pretty epic, so I thought it'd be a nice starting point. I still think it's pretty epic, really, and a lot more epic than anything I'm doing (though it's been a long, long time since I was up-to-date with Einsteinian Roulette, I'll admit - maybe a year at least.  :-[ ) Looking back I should've just done something simpler, probably, because most of the time I feel like I'm in over my head. Reading through the last few pages of this thread, I'm starting to lean even more strongly in that direction.  :-\ I really, truly didn't mean to plagiarize - I told everybody (multiple times, especially in IRC and the pre-game "do any of you guys want to do an RPG" thread that someone else started) that it was based on ER. Even so, I'll shut the whole thing down if that's what piecewise wants.

To address a couple of the other things mentioned here: the paypal link doesn't even work. It hasn't worked since I put it up, actually - it was just broken and I didn't bother fixing it (partly because I couldn't figure out how, partly because it wasn't important enough to me to figure out what was wrong with it. people stopped bugging me about a paypal link and I felt the matter was closed). As to the "lot of work" - yes, I was referring to setting up mission 1. Mission 2 took even longer to set up, but that's largely my fault for being an inexperienced GM. (Like, really, I just wanted to play an RPG with the ltheory guys - never really thought about how much work it would be. :P piecewise has my respect - and mad respect at that - for keeping up with ER.) It's also a "lot of work" because I decided to make pictures for the mission briefings... that takes a while, for reasons that are hopefully obvious. I also wrote up a plot that is wholly different from that of ER... at least as far as I know... I was at least trying to be original in that respect.  :-[ ("plot" here meaning "the setting of the overall universe and how it changes over the course of the campaign")

In short, I didn't mean to pass it off as my own creation in any way. :-\ I thought I did a good enough job making that clear, and yes, I should've mentioned it to piecewise a long time ago, but in my limited defense, I didn't even expect the ltheory guys to play all the way through the first mission - and certainly did not expect as many players as I've accumulated. I did mention it to him yesterday, though - it was the first time I'd visited Bay12 in a long while, and I wanted to make sure I did right by him... that sure went pretty well. >.> Anyway, if you guys want me to take it down or make amends in some other way, I'm more than willing to work things out... and again, I sincerely apologize for pissing you guys off. :(
Don't worry about it man, I personally have no problem with what you're doing.  I think the main problem people had, judging from the responses, is that a lot of stuff in there is extremely similar to things in ER, and the link back here is very small. I think it made people feel like you might have copied a lot of stuff wholesale, changed small things and then claimed it as your own. I don't really have a problem with what I've seen, personally, though. Even if you did take a lot of the base stuff from ER, you've clearly expanded it into something else and you're doing a lot of original work to run it. It's not like you're just copy pasting missions or something silly like that.

So you have my blessing to keep doing what you're doing, but if you want to appease people, I think the best way to do that is to make that acknowledgement of ER a bit more prominent.  Because, like I said, I think it was less the fact that a lot of base stuff was very similar, and more the fact that the way it's structured, people could think you're trying to hide the origins of the stuff.  Which, I mean, You came to me and told me about it so I feel like you're not that kind of person, but that might be what people thought.

And to my players, I posted those links to show off what a fan of the game did and maybe to give you an alternative game to play while I'm neck deep in anatomy. He came to me and told me about them, and I wanted to tell you guys.  So, you're free to not like what he's doing, you're free to tell him this, but don't do it out of some sort of misguided attempt to defend the honor of ER. While I do appreciate the sentiment, it's not what I'd like in this case.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25094 on: November 29, 2015, 10:40:11 am »

Good enough for me. Again, enjoy your game, mr. Fan of ER who wanted to run a forum game :P. Good luck GM'ing. in my experience it's quite a challenge.
Pages: 1 ... 1671 1672 [1673] 1674 1675 ... 2205