Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1632 1633 [1634] 1635 1636 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2489499 times)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #24496 on: November 05, 2015, 10:06:32 pm »

Weapon you've USED BEFORE???
Uh.  No.
Amps are not that common.
they certainly are god damn not it was something that she dident own and was taught how to use them by her parents becuase it was something they used in their job she has seen them used and only was allowed to use them rarely.

It's military grade hardware that needs brain surgery.
BRAAAAIIIINNNN SSSSSUUUURRRRRGGGGGEEEERRRRRRYYYYYYY.
parents were there the whole damn time abigails phobia of doctors and that whole doctor situation freakout could have been resolved in seconds if even 1 of them said they'd watch her during it so she wasent harmed
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24497 on: November 05, 2015, 10:08:26 pm »

Why would random schlebs be allowed to use amps, anyway? Don't tell me you haven't heard of any of the...
Ice-9, that dam incident, and at least 6 or so minor incidents involving amps/manips, right?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24498 on: November 05, 2015, 10:12:29 pm »

Why would random schlebs be allowed to use amps, anyway? Don't tell me you haven't heard of any of the...
Ice-9, that dam incident, and at least 6 or so minor incidents involving amps/manips, right?
becuase abigails parents repaired the oxygen purifier as well as maintaining and repairing the building they needed those amps becuase your not fixing a magma leak with tools so basically in that place you either guaranteed died from magma breaking into the complex or had a chance of dying from a horrible death by amp overload or misusage.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #24499 on: November 05, 2015, 10:12:56 pm »

That is why we let random schlebs use amps; to see all the hilarious destruction that they cause.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #24500 on: November 05, 2015, 10:13:18 pm »

@AhT. Yeah, no. Waking up after seeing parents killed, wandering around making friends then deliberately - deliberately- buying an amp for brain surgery and having it installed calmly and surely, and only once you've gotten what you want, then attacking the very kitty you hugged and cuddled and all that just because she walks toward the medbay (and then sneaking up to that kitty with malice aforethought to take blood against her will?)? I call bullcrap on all your justification.

You wanted: a) a weapon. B) to hurt someone, c) do do random experiments against the wishes of another character. you are using the death of your character's parents to justify literally anything you feel like doing. You have no justification. had you woken up, sobbed, loked for a sympatheic ear (a kitty you cuddled for instance) or just stayed away from people in general, or you know, panicked at going to the doctor the first time, maybe, just maybe. But no, every action has "player wants a toy, cares little about anyone in the game but their character" behind it.

Try seeing this from someone else's perspective, and maybe consider just how many people have called you on these actions already. and rethink how you go about things.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #24501 on: November 05, 2015, 10:15:19 pm »

Psychokinetic amplifiers are, by canon, top secret military weapons whose very existence is only known to the public in the vaguest of terms. Someone tried to look up info on them on the in-game Internet before - they couldn't find anything other than blink-and-you'll-miss-it references in politicians' speeches from the height of the Altered War (and no, nobody alive today was alive then, unless they're a cheating semi-divine NPC). Civilians just plain don't have access to them. And you underestimate ER tech, working while fully submerged in magma is perfectly doable without amplifiers.

VR machines are more immersive than regular computers, actually. Using one requires inserting a tube that feeds you a nutrient slurry and psychoactive/suggestive drugs intravenously. So you're mostly ignorant of what's going on around you, but you might notice someone trying to take your pants off, for example. Piecewise has mentioned that characters in VR can hear a conversation occurring near the machines and one occurring in VR simultaneously, they just can't tell without context which is occurring where.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24502 on: November 05, 2015, 10:16:21 pm »

@AhT. Yeah, no. Waking up after seeing parents killed, wandering around making friends then deliberately - deliberately- buying an amp for brain surgery and having it installed calmly and surely, and only once you've gotten what you want, then attacking the very kitty you hugged and cuddled and all that just because she walks toward the medbay (and then sneaking up to that kitty with malice aforethought to take blood against her will?)? I call bullcrap on all your justification.

You wanted: a) a weapon. B) to hurt someone, c) do do random experiments against the wishes of another character. you are using the death of your character's parents to justify literally anything you feel like doing. You have no justification. had you woken up, sobbed, loked for a sympatheic ear (a kitty you cuddled for instance) or just stayed away from people in general, or you know, panicked at going to the doctor the first time, maybe, just maybe. But no, every action has "player wants a toy, cares little about anyone in the game but their character" behind it.

Try seeing this from someone else's perspective, and maybe consider just how many people have called you on these actions already. and rethink how you go about things.
Psychokinetic amplifiers are, by canon, top secret military weapons whose very existence is only known to the public in the vaguest of terms. Someone tried to look up info on them on the in-game Internet before - they couldn't find anything other than blink-and-you'll-miss-it references in politicians' speeches from the height of the Altered War (and no, nobody alive today was alive then, unless they're a cheating semi-divine NPC). Civilians just plain don't have access to them. And you underestimate ER tech, working while fully submerged in magma is perfectly doable without amplifiers.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24503 on: November 05, 2015, 10:26:52 pm »

And Abigails parent's coudent be called civilians the magister gave it to them they were important for the running and maintaining of the entire complex

To be honest i wasent looking for a fight when things like the kitty freak out happened and i actually do like a lot of the characters in this game in my opinion are way cooler then abigail is and i don't intend to kill anyone's character or make them into a toy hell the needle thing once she makes the pill I'm gonna ask piecewise to make a roll to guess what it does abigail dosent want to hurt any player characters and i don't want to kill any player characters so if thats how i look I'm truly sorry and I'll think a little bit more about how the other characters would be affected.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24504 on: November 05, 2015, 10:49:31 pm »

To be fair, I recall stirring up plenty of shit with my metagaming shenanigans back in the day. To help counteract this, I'd recommend (purely from my own experience mind you) to focus on one of two extremes.
The one I've gone with is essentially focus entirely on the character. Focus only on their desires as a character, and not yours as a player. That way your actions have full justification behind them even if they do end up being somewhat assholish, but you can't go on random shenanigans if your character isn't that type. It does require a lot of thought on what your character would do in the situation at hand, if they have any plans for the future, and such though.

Or you can go to the other end and discard their character entirely - stop acting in accordance to backstory or anything else and just do what you want to do. Grants you freedom of action since you can basically do whatever the hell you want (doesn't guarantee your success but if you wanna go look up alien species on the space Internet without having an IC reason to do so, there's your solution).

Don't have to do either, it's just the path I ended up proceeding along after my rather rough start. Most importantly regardless of whatever you end up doing, though, is I'd say to realize people's ... existentialism? Capacity to do actions and possibly prevent yours.

For instance, say you wanna extract a person's blood for no clear reason. That's fine, people have done worse before. But when doing that action, just make sure you remember that they're likely to object to surprise blood extraction - but that interplay - 'hey man why you tryna stab me' 'I wanna extract some blood from you' 'the fuck, why' 'mad science involving unstable alien artifacts, don't worry it'll only kill me at best' - that IC explanation by your character as to why they're doing this random action is the thing that makes for good interaction - because even if it's confrontational, it's interesting.

Rambling done!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24505 on: November 05, 2015, 10:51:35 pm »

And Abigails parent's coudent be called civilians the magister gave it to them they were important for the running and maintaining of the entire complex

To be honest i wasent looking for a fight when things like the kitty freak out happened and i actually do like a lot of the characters in this game in my opinion are way cooler then abigail is and i don't intend to kill anyone's character or make them into a toy hell the needle thing once she makes the pill I'm gonna ask piecewise to make a roll to guess what it does abigail dosent want to hurt any player characters and i don't want to kill any player characters so if thats how i look I'm truly sorry and I'll think a little bit more about how the other characters would be affected.
Aaaand that strikes me as another special snowflake thing...
Okay, but that has nothing to do with how Abigail is acting.
To be fair, I recall stirring up plenty of shit with my metagaming shenanigans back in the day. To help counteract this, I'd recommend (purely from my own experience mind you) to focus on one of two extremes.
The one I've gone with is essentially focus entirely on the character. Focus only on their desires as a character, and not yours as a player. That way your actions have full justification behind them even if they do end up being somewhat assholish, but you can't go on random shenanigans if your character isn't that type. It does require a lot of thought on what your character would do in the situation at hand, if they have any plans for the future, and such though.

Or you can go to the other end and discard their character entirely - stop acting in accordance to backstory or anything else and just do what you want to do. Grants you freedom of action since you can basically do whatever the hell you want (doesn't guarantee your success but if you wanna go look up alien species on the space Internet without having an IC reason to do so, there's your solution).

Don't have to do either, it's just the path I ended up proceeding along after my rather rough start. Most importantly regardless of whatever you end up doing, though, is I'd say to realize people's ... existentialism? Capacity to do actions and possibly prevent yours.

For instance, say you wanna extract a person's blood for no clear reason. That's fine, people have done worse before. But when doing that action, just make sure you remember that they're likely to object to surprise blood extraction - but that interplay - 'hey man why you tryna stab me' 'I wanna extract some blood from you' 'the fuck, why' 'mad science involving unstable alien artifacts, don't worry it'll only kill me at best' - that IC explanation by your character as to why they're doing this random action is the thing that makes for good interaction - because even if it's confrontational, it's interesting.

Rambling done!
This too, kind of.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24506 on: November 05, 2015, 10:52:10 pm »

You can send in controversial actions via PM!  Avoid the OOC meta pre-backlash!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24507 on: November 05, 2015, 10:52:54 pm »

You can send in controversial actions via PM!  Avoid the OOC meta pre-backlash!
....*shrug*.
Sigtext

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24508 on: November 05, 2015, 11:05:11 pm »

ATH, I strongly dislike the action you are attempting to perform to my character, however, unlike you, I am not going to submit a preemptive counter-action depending on information my character doesn't know.
This decision leaves me helpless to stop you.
It is not the same as approving of your action, and I give absolutely no promises about potential backlash after you are done.
I've said my piece.

If only you'd just asked permission...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:10:35 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24509 on: November 05, 2015, 11:09:19 pm »

Well, you are still totally allowed to give a response to what will happen, it'll just inevitably happen after she's stabbed you.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 1632 1633 [1634] 1635 1636 ... 2205