Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1587 1588 [1589] 1590 1591 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2485770 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #23820 on: October 22, 2015, 06:16:34 pm »

We shall see when/if he sees that message.
Hopefully he do.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23821 on: October 22, 2015, 06:34:07 pm »

So what exactly is mary sueish about my character? I took the test and she scored pretty low actually
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23822 on: October 22, 2015, 07:42:17 pm »

So what exactly is mary sueish about my character? I took the test and she scored pretty low actually

She's just very special where comparatively most of our characters aren't. One of the most noticeable characteristics of sues in tabletop rpgs is that the player of the sue character is constantly defending OOC their sue's backstory/actions/etc, and we seem to all have gotten into the habit of constantly discussing your character OOC, when it seems people in this game usually don't.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23823 on: October 22, 2015, 07:46:37 pm »

To be fair, though, this is because Abigail is...Rather more backstoried than most HMRC recruits.
So, special yes, not necessarily Sue-ish.
I mean, she can't READ.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23824 on: October 22, 2015, 07:49:49 pm »

She's just very special where comparatively most of our characters aren't. One of the most noticeable characteristics of sues in tabletop rpgs is that the player of the sue character is constantly defending OOC their sue's backstory/actions/etc, and we seem to all have gotten into the habit of constantly discussing your character OOC, when it seems people in this game usually don't.
I think that's more my personality and i feel an oc thread is where you can discuss characters in the game

And Abigails...well when i made her i dident think she was that special honestly  there are a lot of characters who are way more cooler then Abigail
And i guess the reason we talk about her so much is becuase i have 40 or 50 page biography from her point of view saved in a document i have
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:52:54 pm by AbstractTraitorHero »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23825 on: October 22, 2015, 07:51:36 pm »

I think that's more my personality and i feel an oc thread is where you can discuss characters in the game

And Abigails...well when i made her i dident think she was that special honestly  there are a lot of characters who are way more cooler then Abigail
And i guess the reason we talk about her so much is becuase i have 40 or 50 page biography from her point of view saved in a document i have
Sounds like an interesting read.
Although, is it in English?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23826 on: October 22, 2015, 07:51:43 pm »

T

Yes it is I'm a American but i know some russian to communicate with some friends actually but i need to spell check it fine tune the grammar and make sure nothing contradicts along with the medical conditions abigail suffers from fairly accurate so you can't see it yet. Im waiting till abigail dies or we win to post it don't worry i will spoiler it and put it in over numerous posts or just on her wiki page
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:59:09 pm by AbstractTraitorHero »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23827 on: October 22, 2015, 07:54:14 pm »

In case anyone is wondering i had all this backstory when i made the charcter and ommited a lot to make it not ridiculously long

It's okay, man, everyone writes a sue at some point.  Some of them even get regularly published.

Sometimes, sentiments like these are what make me anti-anti-sueist. I really don't mind trying to better the quality (believability, etc.) of player characters, but sometimes this is bordering on, ah, "witch hunts" and "mass repressions". Should it really be this harsh?
Like any pejorative term, Mary Sue tends to get thrown around and stretched to the point where it often doesn't mean anything in particular. And like any pejorative term, if you find yourself getting bogged down in semantics it's better to just abandon the term and continue to argue the point. Not being willing or able to do that tends to be a bad sign.

Honestly, not a whole lot. The concept of a Sue is a bit complicated and scattered, but the basic idea is narrative superiority- the author and world both seem to like them too much. Your character has kind of a lot of features I tend to see in poorly written, not terribly imaginative characters, but I wouldn't call her a Sue.

As an example of a Sue-ish quality, you have a tragic and poorly explained revenge story against a completely unlikeable enemy. Your parents were brutally murdered in front of you by someone with no redeeming characteristics or plausible motivation, thereby highlighting your struggle against adversity, establishing your moral superiority, and possibly justifying questionable behavior or unusual traits (paranoia against allies but it's justified because trauma, running away from danger but it's justified because trauma, etc).

Which doesn't make her a Sue, but it's an example of a Sue-ish trait. Or, more directly, a trait that implies that she's supposed to be special and better than everyone else, even if "better" refers to fairly nebulous criteria.

Other examples include her unusual appearance, unusual homeworld, the fact that she's one of the only fully sapient beings on her own world (ie she was special even on her special planet before her special backstory), the importance and power of the person who wronged her, and, uh... actually, I'm not even going off of your official backstory, I'm going off of the blurb you posted above. Hm. Maybe there's more Sueness elsewhere.

But I hope you get the idea- the character is special in a lot of sort of hamfisted ways. I think that's more a result of inelegant writing than proper Sueness, but as a quick acid test- imagine a room full of people with loosely similar backstories, and ask yourself how much sense it makes and what it tells you about the universe. In this case, wow- there are a lot of weird-ass planets with only a few proper thinking humans on them, and apparently the people running those planets are complete dicks against those people in particular.

Which isn't necessarily implausible, it just doesn't fit ER very well and, again, tends to look worse when it's less elegantly put.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23828 on: October 22, 2015, 07:58:54 pm »

Are you SURE it doesn't fit in at all?  The whole concept of the UWM genemodding its citizenry to produce brute workers...Well.  Look at the Sods.
The magister, though, does strike me as...Not the best-thought-out plot hook ever.
Sigtext

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23829 on: October 22, 2015, 08:01:58 pm »

... Now I'm tempted to get you folks to evaluate my own sueness.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23830 on: October 22, 2015, 08:08:16 pm »

Are you SURE it doesn't fit in at all?  The whole concept of the UWM genemodding its citizenry to produce brute workers...Well.  Look at the Sods.
The magister, though, does strike me as...Not the best-thought-out plot hook ever.
the magister does have motivations for what he does he actually was a character i planned for this game but i realized li greatly disliked him and could not stand to play him but quite frankly Most magister that are mentioned in this universe are insane so Abigails story is just more detailed about where shes from her family and as a grade A example of a Uwm true hellhole gonna give the description of the planet to piecewise if he wants to use it for a mission
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:15:19 pm by AbstractTraitorHero »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23831 on: October 22, 2015, 08:28:12 pm »

Backstory isn't exactly a good way to evaluate that kind of thing in ER; you can just go with "stasis dementia" and presto. Dice rolls decide whether you live or die here, so even the most pretentious character can turn into a smear in case they try to flaunt their imagined prowess.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23832 on: October 22, 2015, 08:34:55 pm »

It strikes me as odd that the character takes any opportunity to blurt out pretty much her entire life story in most any conversation. :P

Just realised I haven't posted an action. Whoops.
Not that it really matters.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23833 on: October 22, 2015, 08:41:07 pm »

Backstory isn't exactly a good way to evaluate that kind of thing in ER; you can just go with "stasis dementia" and presto. Dice rolls decide whether you live or die here, so even the most pretentious character can turn into a smear in case they try to flaunt their imagined prowess.
Yes and the not die dice aren't in abigail favor shes got her luck her charm and slight medical knowledge and a dangerous weapon that will most likely be the death of her

Plus she's gonna be shaped by you guys a lot actually so if she's has some 1 or 3 bad qualities well her character has room for a lot of character development.

It strikes me as odd that the character takes any opportunity to blurt out pretty much her entire life story in most any conversation. :P

Just realised I haven't posted an action. Whoops.
Not that it really matters.
and well she is quite frankly been thrust into a bizare situation and weak willed and starved for any friend's she can get its not surprising she unloads in the hope's people will sympathise with her and pity her and be her friend

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23834 on: October 22, 2015, 08:55:56 pm »

Mine is the opposite: I have a story for mine in my head, but because of it I wouldn't strike up a conversation with anyone!
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.
Pages: 1 ... 1587 1588 [1589] 1590 1591 ... 2205