Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1516 1517 [1518] 1519 1520 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2487093 times)

SkyMarshal

• Bay Watcher
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #22755 on: October 01, 2015, 08:00:21 pm »

E.D. has a point.  All that's really needed (at least, for an initial strike), is lobbing a guidable missile with a bigass bomb.  A kinetic strike would probably be more definite, but it requires a favorable angle.  Although, for some reason, I suspect Steve/The Sword to be capable of some impressive acceleration.  And I don't think we care too much about fuel reserves considering the amount of FTL jumps we've done with only the refueling when Hephaestus was taken, if then.  You know, if we even use fuel.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22756 on: October 01, 2015, 08:04:46 pm »

Considering the accuracy we can get with existing munitions, right NOW...I think steering an orbital strike through a hole in a shield is, if not really THAT practical, certainly POSSIBLE in the Far Future.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #22757 on: October 01, 2015, 08:11:19 pm »

so you are telling me, that withe all the futuretech at our disposal... we cant strap wings to a nuclear missile, fire it from orbit, and have it perform a 90 degree turn over the course of several kilometres to guide itself into a hotzone?

you sir, have a train of thought that defies my comprehension.
The rockets can't be powerful enough to make that kind of turn in a few kilometres, hell, I doubt they would have the fuel for it, those rockets are probably designed to allow small course changes, not to allow it to change direction entirely.
Why are LESHOs not instant win buttons if steve could just fire a couple hundred down to a planet and instantly kill all opposition?!
Considering the accuracy we can get with simple dropped munitions...I think steering an orbital strike through a hole in a shield is, if not really THAT practical, certainly POSSIBLE.
We get accuracy with dropped munitions because of the fact that they're going too fast to be really changed by much and that you don't need a bullseye with your shot!
Steering an orbital strike horizontally without impacting the planet itself to hit a crack in a wall without hitting the wall at all is a bit tougher!
E.D. has a point.  All that's really needed (at least, for an initial strike), is lobbing a guidable missile with a bigass bomb.  A kinetic strike would probably be more definite, but it requires a favorable angle.  Although, for some reason, I suspect Steve/The Sword to be capable of some impressive acceleration.  And I don't think we care too much about fuel reserves considering the amount of FTL jumps we've done with only the refueling when Hephaestus was taken, if then.  You know, if we even use fuel.
The fuel reserves don't matter, you can't store an infinite amount of fuel into a rocket!
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22758 on: October 01, 2015, 08:15:43 pm »

...Alternatively, drop a planetside craft with said nuke.
Then shoot.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22759 on: October 01, 2015, 08:24:58 pm »

Or you could keep shooting until one goes in.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22760 on: October 01, 2015, 08:29:07 pm »

Okay, long story short: it'll all take indeterminate amounts of time, and we don't even know the armaments of the ship (so in the worst-case scenario we might have to simply crash it).

Blowing up a suit has a tactical advantage of being more or less immediate and thus relevant. We'll talk about the rest after we're past the boundary, Steve has assessed the information and the request for bombardment, and the suit-blowing has proceeded, to one result or another.

Let's put the discussion on hold until then, shall we?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22761 on: October 01, 2015, 08:31:21 pm »

A) you dont need rockets to turn, that can be accomplished with wings or fins. orbital drop shell's by necessity will be designed differently to man portable sniper shells.
B) the rockets could be to used to slow down and turn at the same time.
C) we arent talking a rifle round here, were talking the lesho version of a cruise missile. available fuel for manouvres is gonna be a lot higher.
D)steve doesnt carpet bomb Lesho's because we are meant t go in and get artifacts, not because we lack the capability.

Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

SkyMarshal

• Bay Watcher
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22762 on: October 01, 2015, 08:47:21 pm »

E.D., I meant fuel on the Sword.  I do not know how much we have or if it even matters regarding a hypothetical aggressive change in the ships orbit to fire through the opening.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22763 on: October 01, 2015, 08:52:21 pm »

E.D., I meant fuel on the Sword.  I do not know how much we have or if it even matters regarding a hypothetical aggressive change in the ships orbit to fire through the opening.
M21 isn't using the Sword, we're using a transport ship.
I wasn't doubting the ship, anyway, I was doubting the accuracy.
Alan help.

SkyMarshal

• Bay Watcher
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22764 on: October 01, 2015, 09:42:44 pm »

Oh, piss.  That's a good point.  I'd doubt a transport would be well enough armed to deal with our nascent god problem.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22765 on: October 01, 2015, 09:57:16 pm »

If this really is an alien God, we're all absolutely screwed if it escapes into the outside world. We need in everything we have and shoot the dome with anything that has the slightest chance of affecting it.. Crash one of the Sword's sister ships into it if need be. Just make sure nothing escapes.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22766 on: October 02, 2015, 01:12:00 am »

Fun stuff happening on Bump in the Night mission, huh? Cults are always interesting.

Remember the last cult we had to deal with?
No.
Story time!

Mission 14.

Once up time there was a Urban Executor who went mad with relevation and started to perform mercy kills without consent of his victims. Afte he was tracked down nearby HMRC unit was called to find and kill him. Of course HMRC fucked up magnificently by nuking the town UE was found in and letting him escape. The UE wandered through the space until he settled into a city on planet Kano and set up a cult. And what cult it was! Full of freaky technology and mysteries. Freshly forged ARM discovered their growing precense and decided they should steal their artifacts of power. Of course they fucked up, destroyed good part of city and UE uploaded his mind to somewhere. And now ARM has found a growing cult again... It brings some good old memories.

Try to not destroy the city this time.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22767 on: October 02, 2015, 01:46:59 am »

I thought that it was a foregone conclusion that we would before we even heard about the cult.
One wheel short of a wagon

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22768 on: October 02, 2015, 01:53:32 am »

Remember the last time a team was sent down to a planet and pretty much told to lay low?
It was a Dash 9 level incident.
Alan help.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22769 on: October 02, 2015, 03:08:33 am »

Remember the last time a team was sent down to a planet and pretty much told to lay low?
It was a Dash 9 level incident.

Hmmm. Is that... the Ice-9 mission?  ;)

An exciting new idea came to my mind. A game of "Guess which mission" where only the shenanigans and maybe secondary details of the mission are given, and players have to guess the mission correctly! It reinforces lore knowledge in players as well as reminding them of their predecessors' great accomplishments and builds up esprit de corps. Like this:

Remember the time when Faith was almost cut open with a monorazor?
It took a rescue team to sort out the mess.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 1516 1517 [1518] 1519 1520 ... 2205