Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1504 1505 [1506] 1507 1508 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2489230 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #22575 on: September 27, 2015, 07:42:26 am »

@Piecewise I have a suggestion to make. It came to me in the hazy period between getting up and actually waking up completely, so for all I know I might have dreamt of it. For some reason, in my dreams (right prior to coming up with the idea) this version of ER was somewhat X-Com like (that with roster of characters who sometimes die/get injured/permadie and have to be rotated out of the next mission team configuration), but I believe it should also work in a more RPG-style game as well.

Make a 'Morale' stat (or, if you already have that one, call it something like 'Happiness' or whatever). This stat is essentially mental heath of the character - not "endure all this mindfuck" mental, but "continue playing this game" mental; it's purpose is to simulate the greatest danger for any HMRC convict - stasis catatonia. In meta terms, this stat is to simulate the "player's" disinterest in particular character and give up on it - such as when the "player" perceives the character to be boring, the game to be boring or unfair, and so on. Of course, in a computer game the only player is you (barring multiplayer pipe dreams) so the actual interaction between the player and his character(s) is a bit different - but stasis dementia and stasis catatonia are well-established in-game medical conditions, so I think it could be interesting to simulate that within the game.

Let's give some examples, shall we? So when a character goes on a mission, he acquires a small boost to Morale; whenever he skips a mission, he gains a moderate penalty.
When a character does some "unimportant" action while on board, they can regain some Morale - hence the booze&drugs, the hobbies (including the infamous TV watching) and so on.
When a character does something (probably non-combat) on a mission there is a small chance of both small boost and small penalty to Morale - sometimes things are exciting, sometimes they are not; you could easily expand on this.
When the mission is finished, a character receives a Morale boost in direct relation to how many tokens they earned - or possibly a penalty if they earned the least tokens of all on a given mission (maybe if it's a greedy character, or something; this could be a chance, this could a trait to trigger this chance, or anything).
When a character is 'botted after a mission, he receives a major bonus to Morale, a major penalty or something in between - this is actually the example this whole idea was born from (the easiest way to deal with this would be to say that transhumans desire to become robots, where others are rather ambivalent or don't want to, but you could also go with 'traits' here, once again).
Conversely, if someone finishes a mission without getting 'botted, the character could again receive a major bonus, maybe major penalty (if he or she is of Transhuman class and the AM doesn't offer decapitating services at this point in time) or something in between - and so on.

Basically, in in-game terms, Morale is there to represent that particular character's "will to live"/"interest in living" - in our world, people can go on for years with negative levels of that, but in ERverse stasis catatonia is always lurking about. And I think it'd be cool to have that mechanic in the ER game.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22576 on: September 27, 2015, 07:49:53 am »

Perhaps have a Newbie class, which is an all rounder, but starts with low stats?

The name is Grunt.
The Grunt should be the basic all-rounder

The Newbie should be a class which starts with "bad" traits, like occasionally shooting the wrong thing, or panicking when they get shot by the Space Testicle Robot (You know you want to PW), but has the fastest progression, even if the first few upgrades are just not having the shitty traits
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #22577 on: September 27, 2015, 08:03:41 am »

CAEL I'M STEALING YOUR AVATAR AS YOUR IN GAME FACE.

IF ANYONE ELSE HAS AN IMAGE THEY REALLY WANT ME TO USE FOR THE LISTED CHARACTERS, LEMME KNOW

(96X96 pixels plz)

USE FLESH HORROR AKIRA FOR XAN
Yep. That or any unnaturally smooth face you can find.
Prometheus alien?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22578 on: September 27, 2015, 09:22:51 am »

As far as I know you can set up custom stats in the rpg maker interface. Is the game going to be considered cannon pw, and if so will it take place now or in the future/past.
It requires scripting, I checked. Though I might be able to use the Luck stat as an effective analog.

And...sorta.

All the lore in it will be canon, but the actions of the characters won't be, obviously.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #22579 on: September 27, 2015, 09:37:38 am »

I was going to pick up RPG maker and take a look at the scripting features. The price is £52.99.

Nope. Not going to happen. Not on my student budget.

I know there's a free version, but that doesn't support scripting.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #22580 on: September 27, 2015, 09:49:50 am »

You could probably get an older version for cheaper, if that works.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22581 on: September 27, 2015, 10:47:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is the most genius thing I have seen all week. I ... I am actually happy right now. I am delighted. There could also be a hidden stat called IRL, which indicates a player's potential to be gone for varying periods of game rounds, regardless of "player happiness." I want a single player multi-character game with these background stats now.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22582 on: September 27, 2015, 12:06:20 pm »

I think you guys might be overestimating both the scope of this game and the depths of my skill with this program.

Not helped by the fact that now the program won't even launch and it freezes steam when I try...

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22583 on: September 27, 2015, 12:23:00 pm »

Ah, fixed it.

Apparently Steam decided to update me to the workshop enabled version of the game. Which is apparently completely non-functional.

Thanks steam.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22584 on: September 27, 2015, 12:24:34 pm »

So...Where the heck do we actually join?
Also, classes, what?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22585 on: September 27, 2015, 12:35:08 pm »

Also, classes, what?
Oh, the classes are an unre...well they're not related to this forum game. You can join in the On ship thread (the other stickied one).

Our wiki has a whole section for teaching you how to join.

http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/New_Player_Guide

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22586 on: September 27, 2015, 12:43:18 pm »

Also, classes, what?
Oh, the classes are an unre...well they're not related to this forum game. You can join in the On ship thread (the other stickied one).

Our wiki has a whole section for teaching you how to join.

http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/New_Player_Guide
Thankye.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22587 on: September 27, 2015, 01:18:19 pm »

CAEL I'M STEALING YOUR AVATAR AS YOUR IN GAME FACE.

IF ANYONE ELSE HAS AN IMAGE THEY REALLY WANT ME TO USE FOR THE LISTED CHARACTERS, LEMME KNOW

(96X96 pixels plz)

USE FLESH HORROR AKIRA FOR XAN
Yep. That or any unnaturally smooth face you can find.
Prometheus alien?
Something like that is what he looked like as a human, yeah. In my interpretation at least.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22588 on: September 27, 2015, 02:21:00 pm »

Personal information: Never properly filed due to the transition to ARM and subsequent information retrieval cutoff.  Recovered data states that he was a computer programmer for the bureaucracy prior to assignment.
Reason assigned to HMRC OR Reason to join ARM: 'Mistakenly' assigned to HMRC after he said something that proved a high bureaucracy superior wrong, near to the point of the ARM breakaway.  Was never released due to said breakaway.  Not actually a criminal, unless the tendency to say exactly what he thinks no matter who he's talking to counts.

Last time Sword took on HMRC prisoners was some hundred years ago, well before ARM rebellion so his personal information should be there. Not that you can't leave it blank, that's totally fine. Just pointing there's fairly long timeframe between last HMRC pickup and rebellion.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #22589 on: September 27, 2015, 02:22:35 pm »

It would be interesting if he was someone who was "volunteered" into arm service...
Pages: 1 ... 1504 1505 [1506] 1507 1508 ... 2205