Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1465 1466 [1467] 1468 1469 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2493489 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #21990 on: September 08, 2015, 07:54:33 pm »

I found the following. Strange that a warning written by real life humans can sound like something written in a science fiction book, something that could be around an alien anomaly in ER, told by the mouth of a possessed teammate:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

if I ever get a powerful nyarstifact ill join the union.

if only to cultivate slaves policital meatshields economic cultists space technomages.
Don't you mean "if I ever get a Nyarstifact and I have no idea what it does, I'll give it to the union so they can do the dangerous testing for me"?

Oh, and by the way, what did you do with those healing bones? I bet they are meant to be used as replacements for your limbs. Four bones, four limbs. Probably meant as an enhancement for fleshies. Could try to sell them to somebody as either medical aid or enhancements. Or both. Maybe Lars, he's in the market for a lower body.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21991 on: September 08, 2015, 08:05:21 pm »

well I offered one of them up for sale to radio but he didnt bite. if someone else wants to buy it...

also is that warning from the japanese nuclear plant that melted down?
it has a very chernobyl-ish radiation vibe, but the "not a place of honor" part kinda makes me think its not from there.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21992 on: September 08, 2015, 08:09:05 pm »

Some place they're dumping nuclear waste deep underground in the US. Said waste will be dangerous until 12 000 AD (or CE). It's from one of their design documents. They were trying to find a way to warn future humans/aliens/whatever not to dig there unless they know what they're doing.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21993 on: September 08, 2015, 08:16:37 pm »

well I got the radiation part right :P

still, 12000 AD... thats a longass time to shun a place.

then again well probably know how to fix it long before then.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21994 on: September 08, 2015, 08:50:24 pm »

well I got the radiation part right :P

still, 12000 AD... thats a longass time to shun a place.

then again well probably know how to fix it long before then.
We already know how to mitigate this: recycling spent nuclear material for reuse. I believe rance does this, but it is illegal in the US.

Uranium has a loooong half life.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21995 on: September 09, 2015, 12:07:35 am »

I found the following. Strange that a warning written by real life humans can sound like something written in a science fiction book, something that could be around an alien anomaly in ER, told by the mouth of a possessed teammate:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

if I ever get a powerful nyarstifact ill join the union.

if only to cultivate slaves policital meatshields economic cultists space technomages.
Don't you mean "if I ever get a Nyarstifact and I have no idea what it does, I'll give it to the union so they can do the dangerous testing for me"?

Oh, and by the way, what did you do with those healing bones? I bet they are meant to be used as replacements for your limbs. Four bones, four limbs. Probably meant as an enhancement for fleshies. Could try to sell them to somebody as either medical aid or enhancements. Or both. Maybe Lars, he's in the market for a lower body.

http://www.wipp.energy.gov/picsprog/articles/wipp%20exhibit%20message%20to%2012,000%20a_d.htm

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21996 on: September 09, 2015, 03:19:15 am »

It is very curious to see that document as basically a study in explicit ominousness, as perceived by humans. It certainly gives some useful points to would-be mystery/horror writers, painters and film-makers, for example. H.P. Lovecraft achieved a lot, but this is like the first step on realising and actually visualising his images (on a conscious level). All the more interesting that, usually, humanity has strived for beauty; occasionally beauty in ugliness, out of spite or as a form of enlightenment; but rarely (if ever) in active, specific, determined repulsiveness.

@M23 Don't you discard all virtuous-paragon-moral-compass-enabled doctors! Maurice came that way, you know. Sometimes all you need is a little faith in the greater good of your actions... and the ability to see the ends past the means employed. I know, I know, not all people can go that way, and even for some of those who can a little (or not so little) moral push might be required.
It might require of you some propaganda effort inside your little criminal operation, but in the end 'idealists' are slightly (or far, if proper propaganda/ethical working conditions are maintained) less prone to sell out than casual pragmatists, I think. It might be worth it in the long run.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:33:02 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #21997 on: September 09, 2015, 05:57:50 am »

Panic.

...PW is totally going to roll for this.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21998 on: September 09, 2015, 06:23:20 am »

Panic.

...PW is totally going to roll for this.
Of course he is. You even have to take willpower rolls to stop playing tetris.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21999 on: September 09, 2015, 08:47:01 am »

It is very curious to see that document as basically a study in explicit ominousness, as perceived by humans. It certainly gives some useful points to would-be mystery/horror writers, painters and film-makers, for example. H.P. Lovecraft achieved a lot, but this is like the first step on realising and actually visualising his images (on a conscious level). All the more interesting that, usually, humanity has strived for beauty; occasionally beauty in ugliness, out of spite or as a form of enlightenment; but rarely (if ever) in active, specific, determined repulsiveness.

@M23 Don't you discard all virtuous-paragon-moral-compass-enabled doctors! Maurice came that way, you know. Sometimes all you need is a little faith in the greater good of your actions... and the ability to see the ends past the means employed. I know, I know, not all people can go that way, and even for some of those who can a little (or not so little) moral push might be required.
It might require of you some propaganda effort inside your little criminal operation, but in the end 'idealists' are slightly (or far, if proper propaganda/ethical working conditions are maintained) less prone to sell out than casual pragmatists, I think. It might be worth it in the long run.
Of course if I saw a land of spikes and stuff I'd be interested as to what it meant and go explore it.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #22000 on: September 09, 2015, 09:04:12 am »

Of course if I saw a land of spikes and stuff I'd be interested as to what it meant and go explore it.
But would you just start digging into the ground is the question.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22001 on: September 09, 2015, 09:11:28 am »

yes i would to find out what the spikes are protecting

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #22002 on: September 09, 2015, 10:22:16 am »

Well, the document does propose the HMRC style of deterrence: Let a few people get in and die. That oughta scare them and make them run away.

Then again, that has the danger of eliciting the HMRC response: Keep going in and dying and then bomb the thing with excessive force, somehow making matters worse.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22003 on: September 09, 2015, 10:36:24 am »

Yeah this is one of the few places where ER logic can be used in real life

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #22004 on: September 09, 2015, 10:46:39 am »

As long as they don't try to use their willpower to overpower the nukes. Or eat the nukes to gain their power. Or shoot the nukes. Or make their bullets out of nukes.
Or build a city around them, with crude power plants powered by the decaying material, basing their entire technology on something for which they have the barest understanding, Fallout style.
Pages: 1 ... 1465 1466 [1467] 1468 1469 ... 2205