Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1449 1450 [1451] 1452 1453 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2495623 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #21750 on: September 04, 2015, 07:53:22 am »

Nope. We had lost contact with a colony that could potentially become friendly and with which we were hoping to establish diplomatic relations (which was the reason the sword was going there). Our mission was to investigate. We investigated. The UWM used a never-before-seen super-weapon to annihilate the entire colony. We also retrieved samples that could be used to either replicate or at least defend against the effect. Mission accomplished. The other things (such us recovering the weapon, preserving the colony's structure for recolonization or finding out more about the UWM presence on the planet) were bonus objectives.

So you succeeded because the mission objectives were to go to a pile of dead bodies, take a sample and leave.

Seriously, it's a mission that would have been impossible to fail.

It's also quoted as the 'area' being abandoned, so you managed to blow up an inhabited planet, not just a lone colony.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 07:57:11 am by Devastator »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21751 on: September 04, 2015, 07:56:20 am »

Nope. We had lost contact with a colony that could potentially become friendly and with which we were hoping to establish diplomatic relations (which was the reason the sword was going there). Our mission was to investigate. We investigated. The UWM used a never-before-seen super-weapon to annihilate the entire colony. We also retrieved samples that could be used to either replicate or at least defend against the effect. Mission accomplished. The other things (such us recovering the weapon, preserving the colony's structure for recolonization or finding out more about the UWM presence on the planet) were bonus objectives.
So you succeeded because the mission objectives were to go to a pile of dead bodies, take a sample and leave.

That may have been the whole point. The UWM didn't even try to hide their involvement. This was an ambush. This was an attempt to kill as many ARM units as possible and intimidate us. The mission reward in this case isn't for carrying out the mission. It's for showing that they were able to survive despite what they had to face.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21752 on: September 04, 2015, 07:58:53 am »

That may have been the whole point. The UWM didn't even try to hide their involvement. This was an ambush. This was an attempt to kill as many ARM units as possible and intimidate us. The mission reward in this case isn't for carrying out the mission. It's for showing that they were able to survive despite what they had to face.

So the only way to end up with a failed mission was to get a TPK, and a TPK was out of the question because Steve had a 'win' button installed in all your heads?  It was also impossible because of the casulties by the automanip to begin with, as people incapacitated and put in the shuttle would then have survived and would have counted as recovering information on the device.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21753 on: September 04, 2015, 08:03:39 am »

Not exactly. It could NOT have failed at all, short of the investigators deciding immediately to go kill all the sods and then commit suicide. I mean, Miyamoto saw everything didn't he? So did Steve. Whether or not the investigators lived or died would have not affected the mission.

In my opinion, the mission was basically "Congratulations, you get tokens and level-ups. I will now unleash an Arbiter of Peace, an unidentified superweapon and anti-ship weaponry. If your brain's still intact by the end, you get to spend them." It's not a matter of winning, it's a matter of still being alive to reap the rewards.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21754 on: September 04, 2015, 08:06:24 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrP5CBUScjw
Help

It's 3:45 am
You made me want to play it, I guess.  :P Lovely review, although I must add that having known your joyous voice from some less late-night ER talks, I expected the more monotonous intro part to be so on purpose, so that you'd burst into 'live' voice later on - which, obviously, didn't quite happen. Nonetheless, I liked the review very much.

Okay, now on to the elephant in the room - "micromanaging players by commanding officers". Since this is my debut mission in that capacity (apart from temporary team leader thing in M17), I feel that I'm at the forefront of who the accusation is aimed at ("J'accuse..!"), and, I guess, that is not baseless.

The issue, I believe, is two-fold (even if it's not quite the point initially raised by the discussion initiator). First, there's OOC part; second, there's IC part - or, rather, to be more precise, there is micromanaging that cannot be resolved in IC interactions (because the other player is absent, most likely); and there is 'micromanaging' that can be resolved via just IC correspondence.

Spoiler: OOC part (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: IC part (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Maurice's leadership (click to show/hide)

Oh, and lastly... M5 was utter disaster, part of which was because we didn't plan beforehand enough. I can't say how much some people being "anti-teamwork" hampered or helped the effort, because frankly, it was one of the most inconclusive missions out there. We just ran around, doing stuff, and failed - and yet somehow even got paid a little.

P.S. Is it just me, or do we need a sort of IC OOC thread?  ;) To, you know, discuss things from IC points of view, but on a level/in situations normally precluded in the game? Because I think that was what Paris needed when he tried explaining his IC actions in OOC thread last time.

EDIT: Oh, 9 new replies. Yeah, funny enough, I agree with Devastator that that one time (M5) we totally botched the mission, and, by current standards (revolutionaries whose fight is involved in the bigger picture, rather than convicts ordered around) we probably shouldn't have been paid at all, or just a couple tokens at most.

M22... was a success, on the other hand. Non-perfect score, sure, but it's hard to have perfect score against an AoP even with a AoW, which they didn't have with them. Surviving it, I agree, was enough success on its own - because it was clearly an objective on the enemy's list, which we denied.
It's not that "the only way to fail a mission is to TPK". It's that that particular mission was a direct engagement with enemy forces, engagement which we won by bonus points (denying them their objective of TPKing us, surviving the ordeal) in a way of near-pyrrhic victory (MAD). Were it not about an engagement with UWM, it would have been graded differently, for example (e.g., I do believe that AoPs are non-renewable resource for UWM, for example).
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21755 on: September 04, 2015, 08:06:27 am »

It was also an already-friendly colony, looking at the briefing in here.  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108083.msg6347125#msg6347125

But yes, it's a monty hall mission.  Here's your tokens and level up, now go enjoy them because I'm sending you to an enormously dangerous mission that might kill one guy, and if it looks hard, just push the 'i win' button so you can enjoy your tokens and level ups.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21756 on: September 04, 2015, 08:08:35 am »

Devastator, you have comicly missed the point. paycheck hasn't even been a discussion topic.
additionaly, mission was a success, so on top of being irrelevant you're also wrong.

RC was mentioning fighting for a decent paycheck.  Anyway, screw mission success.  All missions are successful when leaving the shuttle then.  You went down, caused a massive manipulator override on the friendly planet, and did not recover the automanipulator.  It's a failure because you destroyed half of a planet you had as friends.  The only reason to call it mission success is because you recovered a body.  That bar is too damn low, one newbie (or one sod) alone could have done that immediately.  Pick up body, put it on shuttle, die.  Mission success.

But I'm wrong, because the bar for mission success is so low that it is impossible to even fail a mission, much less suffer drawbacks to using the extremely dangerous steve-brain override.
??? The mission objective was: find out what happened to our friendly colony. They found out what happened to the friendly colony.

as for the destruction: a) everyone in the colony was dead (or reasonably presumed so), and b) Steve did it. C:-)

Edit: I came a little late to the party. Hi guys! Love you all. Hugs and ear scritches all around? They're free.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:11:50 am by Ozarck »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21757 on: September 04, 2015, 08:10:23 am »

Nope. We couldn't leave until we had investigated and gathered enough information about what happened to the colony. So we had to go down and find more information and possibly whatever caused the destruction. Only when we gathered that information could the mission be called a success. And then, once we got that information, the real problem was getting out of there alive. Completing the primary mission objective was easy. Just get in the elevator, go down, find the automanipulator and evidence of UWM prsence (although there were possibly other or better ways of completing that objective that we didn't get to see). Completing the mission by returning to the Sword and the bonus objectives was the thing that was hard.

So the only way to end up with a failed mission was to get a TPK, and a TPK was out of the question because Steve had a 'win' button installed in all your heads?  It was also impossible because of the casulties by the automanip to begin with, as people incapacitated and put in the shuttle would then have survived and would have counted as recovering information on the device.
No. Because we still wouldn't know the cause of the destruction and what exactly happened to the colony. And the shuttle could had been shot if I wasn't there to cover it with my giant metal ass.

Plus, it wasn't a "win" button, more of an "act perfectly for a couple of turns, then die" button. Even someone who makes all the right choices with the information he has can still lose or be left in a losing position due to the brain damage incurred. So, if Lars wasn't there with the emergency escape for his battlesuit, for example, they'd have to rely on Lyra's brain, which would be problematic because it would take longer and would probably kill her. Or if Flint and Dubley weren't there to cut and catch, they would had probably either been killed by the overload or the overload wouldn't had happened, thus allowing the AoP to catch up to us. Or if Flint and Dubley didn't have grav weapons, then they couldn't had collapsed the elevator shaft and denied the AoP a quick escape long enough for the overload to kill him. We just happened to have just enough to make it out of there alive.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21758 on: September 04, 2015, 08:13:07 am »

@Paris That thoughts post in M22... brilliant. At first I didn't understand why you decided to post some parts of obviously pms, but when I got to the end of your post, I loved your decision to post it out there. It might be somewhat controversial, but I love the obvious character development and possible story to follow it. In short, I'd say it should be a textbook case on why and how 'thoughts' of a character, unknown to anyone, should be occasionally posted openly, for the enjoyment of it as a story to read, if not as a game to participate in.
You're the best, don't let anyone persuade you to edit that post.  8)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21759 on: September 04, 2015, 08:13:51 am »

There was no mission objective.  You failed the 'find out what the UWM did to the colony.'  You don't know what they did to the colony, other than collect samples.  The only thing you found out was that space-magic was involved and it was the UWM, and Steve put that information in the mission briefing!  Finding out something Steve already knows isn't much of a thing at all.

Also, you got hit by the UWM, and ran away with your tail between your legs.  That didn't show your other allies you can protect them, it showed the UWM that they can take out whatever planet they like in the future.  That's a failure.

But nooo.. the UWM can only win by TPKing a friendly team.  EVERYTHING else is complete and utter mission failure for them.  By your logic, their mission was an unqualified success.  They killed the colony, forced the Sword's response team to retreat, and forced Steve to destroy a once-friendly planet.  That's a damn, damn good success.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21760 on: September 04, 2015, 08:18:39 am »

Was the planet really destroyed? There was a manipulator overload, sure, but can it really grow so big that existance of the planet is threatened? Or did I miss something?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21761 on: September 04, 2015, 08:19:37 am »

You're twisting my words and behaving antagonistically. I'm not arguing with someone who does that. Maybe when you've vented enough and calmed down a bit.

Was the planet really destroyed? There was a manipulator overload, sure, but can it really grow so big that existance of the planet is threatened? Or did I miss something?
That was the only colony in the solar system, so who cares? With a bit of propaganda, we can spin it our way. Flint will talk to Steve about that propaganda angle in a moment, once the current discussion is finished.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21762 on: September 04, 2015, 08:21:10 am »

No. Because we still wouldn't know the cause of the destruction and what exactly happened to the colony. And the shuttle could had been shot if I wasn't there to cover it with my giant metal ass.

The shuttle wouldn't have been in risk of getting shot if you didn't blow up the automanip.  And if such a thing happened, you'd be here telling me how the mission was successful because you got first hand information on it's effects, by having still-living bodies to evacuate.  Seriously, you're defining the mission objectives as 'whatever you guys actually did.'

Plus, it wasn't a "win" button, more of an "act perfectly for a couple of turns, then die" button. Even someone who makes all the right choices with the information he has can still lose or be left in a losing position due to the brain damage incurred.

Well, what happened was that people got wounded, and the Steve override allowed them to act perfectly despite taking massive damage.  So saying that you can fumble even if you make the right choices?  Not right.  You can have half your body missing, and still make perfect shots thanks to the win button.  As you take damage, you continue to function perfectly.

Also, what brain damage?  Nobody took any brain damage from that on the mission.  Saying it's a risky maneuver is one thing, but when the risky maneuver results, yet again, in no consequences, it isn't actually risky.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21763 on: September 04, 2015, 08:27:45 am »

You're twisting my words and behaving antagonistically. I'm not arguing with someone who does that. Maybe when you've vented enough and calmed down a bit.

Well, yes.  I might not be doing so if people like Emp weren't deciding what the objectives were for the enemy.  You don't know what the UWM wanted, and it isn't hard at all or stretching the truth to paint this as a success for them.

If you want to be more specific with less word twisting, can you tell me that my reading of the effects of the Steve-override is inaccurate?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21764 on: September 04, 2015, 08:35:00 am »

can you tell me that my reading of the effects of the Steve-override is inaccurate?
May I try?

I think they did get brain damage (rolled in with temp-dead stat loss, which, in turn, got rolled in with the less points on level-up) and/or they rolled very well on appropriate rolls 'to keep brains fine'. M19 shows that very good rolls can happen in succession, and every experienced RPG player knows that 'the dice know better' (as in, there might be a supernatural awareness behind specific dice rolls in special situations :P).

A reasonable alternative assessment? (Of side effects, though.)
Past Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 1449 1450 [1451] 1452 1453 ... 2205