Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1420 1421 [1422] 1423 1424 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2492689 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #21315 on: August 23, 2015, 07:34:39 am »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21316 on: August 23, 2015, 07:56:45 am »

Well, here's my badly timed musings on cannon turrets, then.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21317 on: August 23, 2015, 09:44:43 am »

Edited my mission 22 action to ask Steve for exits in adjacent levels.

04:08:28 <Nikitian> With a semi-circular symmetrical body it can probably move just as well in any direction while still 'facing' the enemy
04:09:06 <Piecewise> I don't suppose we'd need to so long as the wheel base on the feet could turn to reorient itself as well
04:09:39 <ER> mount as big a gun as you can spinally.
04:09:40 <Piecewise> Though it would leave the gunner very much at the mercy of the driver
Not really. With good enough computers/algorithms (presumably with some AI or at least many preprogrammed settings so that they can adapt to damage and changing conditions) and enough legs, you could have the driver controlling position (strafe left,strafe right, forward, backwards, etc.) and the gunner controlling orientation (up,down and rotation). Imagine it like the driver pointing on a map at the point where he wants the vehicle to go and the gunner selecting a point in a sphere he wants the vehicle to look at (or just points at a target, depending on how advanced the computer/sensors/comms are). The computer handles the rest. Probably same for any anti-infantry turrets or secondary weapon turrets it has.

The only advantage of having the driver control rotation of the body is that he can position it so that the strongest armour is facing the enemy while the gunner focuses on shooting. But a mech is probably not going to have very strong directional armour anyway, since its legs are going to be its greatest weakness.

There's also the problem of redundancy to consider. If the computer controls fail, it's going to be much harder for the driver and gunner to coordinate and control the vehicle manually. Then again, if the computer fails, the entire vehicle will probably fail too since everything in it sounds computer controlled, so it might not be worth to consider this, unless there's a chance that only the "driver" program will fail for some reason.

EDIT: Here's an idea to make mechs more viable: A substance that reduces friction substantially, so that even tanks with very good threads can't get a good grip and move around. Said substance is regularly air-dropped on battlegrounds in modern warfare, meaning that tanks and other vehicles that rely on a good grip have become less reliable. Instead, both vehicles and infantry have either switched to hovercraft-like propulsion or giant spiked legs that hit the ground strongly enough to penetrate the near-frictionless layer above it and get a good grip. Hovercrafts have better speed but limited fuel and suffer from equal and opposite reaction when firing heavy weapons, while spikelegs can change direction of movement more easily, require less fuel and provide a more stable platform for firing heavy weapons. EDIT2: Maybe also have hybrid vehicles for artillery, hovercraft that can get to position quickly and then use giant spikes to "deploy" and lock themselves in place to fire. EDIT3: Maybe even spiderman-like vehicles that can quickly deploy and retract harpoons to move around and anchor themselves. They would have interesting movement, especially in cities.

Kinda moves away from the realistic setting (since there are substances like that but probably none so powerful and so cheap to deploy) and there are a few other problems with it (like, how is the substance dissolved after combat is over and if it can be dissolved, why aren't tanks given dissolvers. Or why are people using ground troops at all and aren't using flying vehicles instead), but it's fun to consider. Maybe one government started deploying it, won a major battle with it and then like nukes, everyone started using it, causing a shift in the way war is fought. Or maybe it was aliens and their terraforming slimy snot.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:28:09 am by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21318 on: August 23, 2015, 10:35:44 am »

PW, if you wanna design vehicles, I once made a small 'checklist' of parts that a vehicle or a suit would consist of. Might be useful:
http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Tinker#Vehicle_and_Suit_Design

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21319 on: August 23, 2015, 11:15:27 am »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #21320 on: August 23, 2015, 11:21:10 am »

I'm getting really strong Ghost in the Shell flashbacks right now,
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21321 on: August 23, 2015, 11:34:26 am »

That looks pretty good

Edit: Just a thought, but the main cannon looks like an APC cannon versus a MBT cannon. Unless you're going for a smaller one that can fire off more rounds and have a higher ammo storage capacity
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:52:23 am by renegadelobster »
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21322 on: August 23, 2015, 12:42:12 pm »

I'm getting really strong Ghost in the Shell flashbacks right now,
I think Patlabor predates ghost in the shell.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21323 on: August 23, 2015, 12:56:32 pm »

That looks pretty good

Edit: Just a thought, but the main cannon looks like an APC cannon versus a MBT cannon. Unless you're going for a smaller one that can fire off more rounds and have a higher ammo storage capacity

Logical, I doubt it could support anything more than an autocannon (the thing often mounted on ifv's like the Bradley), firing an mbt caliber cannon would probably wreck it several degrees of bad. Even an autocannon might have too heavy a kick to get any accuracy beyond the first shot.

Also, if you wan antitank capabilities without usn a big main cannon, maybe consider adding a TOW-missile equivalent.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21324 on: August 23, 2015, 01:07:19 pm »

That looks pretty good

Logical, I doubt it could support anything more than an autocannon (the thing often mounted on ifv's like the Bradley), firing an mbt caliber cannon would probably wreck it several degrees of bad. Even an autocannon might have too heavy a kick to get any accuracy beyond the first shot.

Also, if you wan antitank capabilities without usn a big main cannon, maybe consider adding a TOW-missile equivalent.
I've been changing the design a lot. It uses 106mm recoiless rifles now. No danger in falling over there.  And the thing has been reduced in size and weight substantially.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21325 on: August 23, 2015, 01:08:29 pm »

So, who thinks UristmcCoder is going to get punished for deciding to "test his range of morion"?

I'm guessing that he'll be able to indentify them from 2-10 metres, depending on visibility.
One wheel short of a wagon

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21326 on: August 23, 2015, 01:25:58 pm »

Auto correct :-X i will go fix that now

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21327 on: August 23, 2015, 03:07:51 pm »

Heh...had a semi-random stupid thought. Could kinda copy the M50 Ontos and mount multiple 106mm rifles on it. Maybe one on either side of the turret?
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21328 on: August 23, 2015, 03:37:13 pm »

Heh...had a semi-random stupid thought. Could kinda copy the M50 Ontos and mount multiple 106mm rifles on it. Maybe one on either side of the turret?
It has 4.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21329 on: August 23, 2015, 03:52:24 pm »

That looks pretty good

I've been changing the design a lot. It uses 106mm recoiless rifles now. No danger in falling over there.  And the thing has been reduced in size and weight substantially.

Reducing size and weight is always a good idea when trying to make legged things. Would it be too late to propose making a regular vehicle with threads/wheels on the 'belly' and deployable legs? Would probably defeat the idea of it being a spidertank (more like a regular-tank-that-can-climb-a-little) but much easier to keep realistic.

Though if you're willing to drop the 'tank' idea and make it an infantry support platform, like an IFV sans troop carrying capacity, that'd simplify things on the weight and size front further.

As for the recoilless rifles, I think using those means lower range and accuracy than using TOW-like things (or general ATGM), but might be offset by smaller ammo size. But, one should first set out design goals and expected uses for a weapons platform before you begin designing, not 'we could give it x to make it good vs Y'.

So pw, what role do you want your thingie to fulfill? If it's for a forum game, I think high-intensity close-quarters (urban) combat would work better than longer-ranged engagements ('point at target, let computer calculate, fire, repeat' could get stale fast). Or stuff like combat in forests or cave complexes (hunt the terrorist!).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 03:55:36 pm by Radio Controlled »

Pages: 1 ... 1420 1421 [1422] 1423 1424 ... 2205