Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1415 1416 [1417] 1418 1419 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2491976 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #21240 on: August 20, 2015, 06:52:17 pm »

It's a test used to determine how well someone applying for a nursing school will be able to adjust to their course. I'd presume that Piecewise needs to pass in order to start giving radiotherapy to everyone. Even those who don't need it. Especially those who don't need it :P

A lethal dose a day keeps STAN away.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21241 on: August 20, 2015, 06:55:32 pm »

It's a test used to determine how well someone applying for a nursing school will be able to adjust to their course. I'd presume that Piecewise needs to pass in order to start giving radiotherapy to everyone. Even those who don't need it. Especially those who don't need it :P

A lethal dose a day keeps STAN away.
Nursing school and a bunch of other programs. I'm not worried about passing; terrible questions or not I only need 80% in reading to pass and I can get that.  But entries into the program are limited so higher scores are better. Which is what infuriates me. I hate having to do multiple choice entry on things that are subjective or arguable.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21242 on: August 20, 2015, 06:58:34 pm »

That is meant to be competitive? Poorly-written comprehension questions regarding one of those tinfoil-hat conspiracy articles is meant to determine how suitable someone is to become a nursing student? Who thought this was a good idea?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:00:08 pm by Empiricist »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21243 on: August 20, 2015, 07:08:42 pm »

That is meant to be competitive? Poorly-written comprehension questions regarding one of those tinfoil-hat conspiracy articles is meant to determine how suitable someone is to become a nursing student? Who thought this was a good idea?
It's part of a lot of things that are all on a point scoring system by which they choose applicants. Stuff like prior education, GPA, scores on prerequisite classes, etc.

The math portion is stupid easy, like, we're talking very basic algebra at worst. The majority is just "Here are a bunch of integers, fractions and decimals. Add them up!" And the science section is just basic anatomy plus cellular biology which I just took. So no problem there.

Reading is mostly not a problem except for very bad questions.

The English section is a nightmare though. A lot of the questions are similar to "Here is a sentence, how might this sentence be written better?" And then all the answers are like the most fucking clunky, 4th grade level writing imaginable. And I look at them and it's like "Well...these are all terrible...but they're all grammatically correct....fuck" 

They give me 4 piles of shit and ask me to pick the best shit! It's a matter of opinion on a question with only one right answer!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21244 on: August 20, 2015, 07:18:34 pm »

I don't suppose the correct answer is the one with the shortest dependency lengths?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21245 on: August 20, 2015, 07:23:00 pm »

B for 1st, A for 2nd. Really, it makes easier to pick the correct answer out from among the intentionally incorrect ones if those with extra judgement are filtered out (i.e. 1-A because "aliens exist", 1-D because "aliens don't exist", etc.). I don't know if this logic is correct, but I can certainly see the added benefit of discerning if the applicant has the, uh, sense and dignity to keep their comments and beliefs to themselves and give out the factual information when asked. Of course, the troubling part is 'logical conclusion' since it's unclear how much you need to process the data before giving out the answer.

And again, it makes for a lot of trouble when the secondary goal like that is not directly outlined in the task, which appears to be a common problem, given the math question example provided.
(But maybe I'm seeing faces in the clouds here, of course. As usual.)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21246 on: August 20, 2015, 07:35:00 pm »

B for 1st, A for 2nd. Really, it makes easier to pick the correct answer out from among the intentionally incorrect ones if those with extra judgement are filtered out (i.e. 1-A because "aliens exist", 1-D because "aliens don't exist", etc.). I don't know if this logic is correct, but I can certainly see the added benefit of discerning if the applicant has the, uh, sense and dignity to keep their comments and beliefs to themselves and give out the factual information when asked. Of course, the troubling part is 'logical conclusion' since it's unclear how much you need to process the data before giving out the answer.

And again, it makes for a lot of trouble when the secondary goal like that is not directly outlined in the task, which appears to be a common problem, given the math question example provided.
(But maybe I'm seeing faces in the clouds here, of course. As usual.)
Now, I've given you all the instructions they gave me with that question in that image, but the idea of "Unspoken assumptions" seems very important here given the answers. Or Unspoken restrictions, more like.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21247 on: August 20, 2015, 07:37:37 pm »

I absolutely hate tests like that. Don't ask me a question where the only answer is to guess

Nunzillor

« Reply #21248 on: August 20, 2015, 07:41:16 pm »

A and C, clearly.  The truth is out there!

In actuality, either B or C for the first and A for the second, in my opinion.  It seems to be about being objective.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:43:46 pm by Nunzillor »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21249 on: August 20, 2015, 07:52:17 pm »

The correct answers, according to the book (A book I bought from the company running the test for 60 fucking dollars) are A and C Respectively.

So apparently when they say "Logical conclusion" they mean "Regurgitate what this article said without thinking about any context or rationality".

So what they were basically asking you to do was to give a logical conclusion as to what the paragraph itself was saying.  In other words, "Read this sentence. What did that sentence say?"

It's literally so dumb and easy that you get it wrong!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21250 on: August 20, 2015, 07:53:10 pm »

Except twinwolf. Congrats twinwolf.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #21251 on: August 20, 2015, 07:54:34 pm »

I now feel good because I got that right and I'm not even at the age I could take that test.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Nunzillor

« Reply #21252 on: August 20, 2015, 07:56:25 pm »

Oh shit.  Wow.  I'm glad I don't have to take that thing.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21253 on: August 20, 2015, 07:58:24 pm »

This is how I feel all the time, why would you ask me such a stupid question.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21254 on: August 20, 2015, 08:00:32 pm »

So what they were basically asking you to do was to give a logical conclusion as to what the paragraph itself was saying.  In other words, "Read this sentence. What did that sentence say?"

It's an important skill for any person to answer dumb questions correctly. How else are they going to work with actual people?
Pages: 1 ... 1415 1416 [1417] 1418 1419 ... 2205