Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1410 1411 [1412] 1413 1414 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2490652 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #21165 on: August 18, 2015, 04:24:33 pm »

Thanks. Why would anyone want a strength stim then? Dex I can understand, but strength...
Challenge the Arbiter/Satan/whoever to arm wrestling.
Could be used for wielding a weapon above your weight limit for a turn.
or breaking or lifting things.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21166 on: August 18, 2015, 04:25:12 pm »

Would fate stims be super-expensive, you think?

Or just usual?
One wheel short of a wagon

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21167 on: August 18, 2015, 04:27:16 pm »

Costs the same as usual.

The problem with fate stims is you need to anticipate when you'll have a fate roll. Same problem with dex or end stims.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21168 on: August 18, 2015, 05:09:01 pm »

Quote from: Doc
Thermophages are common extrauniversal existences. And they are prone to attempting to leave their original confines, as they tend to drive those universes into states of heat death quite quickly. The cooling plus their commonality was enough to make a reasonable guess. Be aware that freezing it won't "kill" it, depending on its nature. It may simply alter itself somehow. I'd advise those attempting to reclaim the area should be quite careful.
I'd advise those attempting to reclaim the area should be quite careful.
those attempting to reclaim the area

Heph Mission Confirmed!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21169 on: August 18, 2015, 05:10:53 pm »

Aw balls. The loot will be execerable, we won't get to keep it :(

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #21170 on: August 18, 2015, 05:11:32 pm »

Those who go on the mission will probably killed at the end because they know to much.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21171 on: August 18, 2015, 05:33:54 pm »

why would a thermophage drive the universe to a heat death? Seems that generally, if it is a living creature, it would have a life span, and ultimately would radiate heat after death, albiet potentially explosively. That said, drawing heat inward is the opposite of heat death, in which the universe expands until heat is uniformly scattered. or a thermophage to drive the universe to heat death it would need to a) be able to expand between galaxies, b) be able to survive as million light year sized beings (at least) and c) be faster than light.

Or be a fundamental mechanic of the universe, like gravity or the weak nuclear force, instead of being a living thing.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21172 on: August 18, 2015, 05:37:26 pm »

Thermophages are obviously migratory creatures.

Once they get big enough they migrate to a close solar orbit, and when the sun runs low on energy they use the last of its energy to move themselves to the next star.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21173 on: August 18, 2015, 05:41:25 pm »

@Str rolls& battlestimms
The rules for using melee weapons used to be two-fold: If it's advanced (super-high-tech, cuts/damages via !Science!/Space Magic), roll simply Uncon; if it's more standard (liberal application of force by bludgeoning/stabbity-stabbing the target), roll Dex to hit, and then Str to damage. Now, Str used to be expressed in the bonuses, so you'd just pile them on top of one another (exoskeleton, Enhanced Movements Mode from Mk III, etc. etc.) and proceed to Hulk-Smash.

These days, the system might have changed, or might not - it is still uncertain. Still, Dex rolls tend to correspond to 'roll to hit'... and strength is, under the current system, represented as categories rather than numbers, so maybe that roll can possibly be omitted.
The major boost of any battlestimm is, however, that it provides that category-changing bonus as well as numbers changing. Dex stimms boost your perception of time and speed in general; it takes a fistful of those (nope, Piecewise refused to give a number - just 'a handful' and 'you'll have problems afterwards), but a regular human can be boosted to Renen/Arbiter-levels of ultra-speed. I suppose that the same thing goes with Str stimms - so one or two can give a vanilla human exoskeleton strength, and a whole handful could boost him to Assaultsuit or Avatar levels of raw might - thus making them extremely useful for non-hi-tech melee users.

As for cool combos... Force monosword can be extremely powerful despite low price, although I don't know whether it'd use Dex or Uncon - either way, it has almost no need for extra strength of the user. Another option, with the help of Team Fund, would be a Blaster rifle - extremely good armor penetration for that cost, and you still get ten shots per token (most non-combat-specific missions would have fewer combat rounds than that anyway, across all teams). Alternatively, you could go for a Testament, but thanks to extreme ammo count, that one has less need for super-good Con (although you might still enjoy some benefit).

As usual, I would strongly recommend against using Laser rifles, as well as the Gauss ones (though latter still don't have a modern replacement).

The problem with fate stims is you need to anticipate when you'll have a fate roll. Same problem with dex or end stims.
Except even more of a problem since we still don't have any factual evidence of when Fate is rolled, or what for; the only 'behind the scenes' Let's Play ER did not use Fate for anything (or Mesk would still be, well, embodied). The chance that Piecewise is fucking with us is still out there.  :P

Actually the crossbow is a pretty good idea.

If all the muscles in your body could pull in a single direction you could lift 3.5 tons.
Portable ballistae anyone?
"A fucking siege weapon!"

I approve.

why would a thermophage drive the universe to a heat death? Seems that generally, if it is a living creature, it would have a life span, and ultimately would radiate heat after death, albiet potentially explosively. That said, drawing heat inward is the opposite of heat death, in which the universe expands until heat is uniformly scattered. or a thermophage to drive the universe to heat death it would need to a) be able to expand between galaxies, b) be able to survive as million light year sized beings (at least) and c) be faster than light.

Or be a fundamental mechanic of the universe, like gravity or the weak nuclear force, instead of being a living thing.
There are... reasons. Think of it as an avatar of entropy, if you wish.

Those who go on the mission will probably killed at the end because they know to much.
Or get Hephaestus work offers instead. We need people with both clearance (even if accidentally "acquired") and skills.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21174 on: August 18, 2015, 05:42:37 pm »

Once they get big enough they migrate to a close solar orbit, and when the sun runs low on energy they use the last of its energy to move themselves to the next star.
which would take longer than the life span of the universe to drive even one galaxy into heat death, is what I'm saying.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21175 on: August 18, 2015, 05:50:34 pm »

Thanks, nikitian, some good stuff to look into. Definitely thought that the boring old gauss and lasers wouldn't be much fun.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21176 on: August 18, 2015, 06:02:52 pm »

which would take longer than the life span of the universe to drive even one galaxy into heat death, is what I'm saying.
If theres only one yes, but if they reproduce or replicate every time they drain a star...
then every time a star dies they could migrate to hundreds or thousands more.

Theres also the possibility of them expending unhodly amounts of energy to make the transport between stars near instant.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21177 on: August 18, 2015, 06:20:42 pm »

Or maybe they come from universes that use slightly different laws of physics. Much higher speed of light, for example. Edit: which would explain the existence of some unexpected types of artifacts there, if Sean somehow managed to open a portal to another universe.

Also, strength is needed to throw rocks. And knives. Restrain people. Other things like that. Lift heavy things. Someone in black ops or an  exoskeleton would find it  surprisingly useful.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 06:27:12 pm by Parisbre56 »

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21178 on: August 18, 2015, 06:28:38 pm »

Strength is needed to successfully push down your teammates so the (Insert Bad Stuff Here) stops to eat them before chasing you.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21179 on: August 18, 2015, 06:38:10 pm »

Or they just come from much smaller universes?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 1410 1411 [1412] 1413 1414 ... 2205