Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1369 1370 [1371] 1372 1373 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2496262 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #20550 on: July 27, 2015, 04:06:31 am »

I have discovered where Sods actually come from. They are the sons of Milno's many concubines.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20551 on: July 27, 2015, 06:47:50 am »

Really though, one team from top the other from the bottom seems like a bad choice. Something like binary search would be better or some variation thereof. -snip-
They're convicts, not computer programmers. :P

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #20552 on: July 27, 2015, 06:58:46 am »

Really though, one team from top the other from the bottom seems like a bad choice. Something like binary search would be better or some variation thereof. -snip-
"Damnit Flint, I'm a doctor convict not a computer programmer!"

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20553 on: July 27, 2015, 07:05:27 am »

"Damnit Flint, I'm a doctor convict not a computer programmer!"
"Push the button! The one on the thingy! No, the other thingy! THE OTHER BUTTON!"
(I wish I had a quote from any time someone has tried to use their in suit electronics for, like anything)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20554 on: July 27, 2015, 07:11:56 am »

Okay kids, from now on until that weird insta-death mission is completed, whenever a euphemism for sexual attraction to murder is used take a shot.*
*Don't actually do this.
Eh, unless you were re-reading the mission after its completion that would be fine.
As it is, in real-time you'd probably just have to take a couple of shots each time it updates. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20555 on: July 27, 2015, 09:55:26 am »

I had considered that Paris, but Lars wouldn't think of that.  I'll take your suggestion to have him move your team a bit, though.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20556 on: July 27, 2015, 10:34:26 am »

Eh, the weighting is tricky. There are two problems to solve: the man-power problem, and the search problem.

Manpower is just a judgement thing. Each team needs enough people to survive each level, which is dependent on how many hostiles we think there are and how many people-per-team we expect to be disabled for some reason. Splitting to teams of 5 seems fine. 3 seems dangerously low.

As for search... I don't think there's much we can do except pick somewhere and start. Binary search depends on a (somehow) sorted elevator, with each level informing us whether the thing we are looking for is up or down from that floor. I don't think we have any guarantee for that. I'd expect they'll find information on any floor that will point them to go to a few other floors, and for that it won't matter where they start. They may want to have the 2nd team start in the middle just for closeness sake, but PW seems to be handwaving elevator speed somewhat.
Hm... except for the sound. Okay, works for me. Sleepy Kri is going to go do things to make ker unsleepy now XD
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:36:50 am by Kriellya »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20557 on: July 27, 2015, 10:41:04 am »

A better question is if there are stairs.  How are the fire regulations here?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #20558 on: July 27, 2015, 12:11:58 pm »

True. I mean look at the mission 8 colony. Imagine people trying to go to work every day. They'd have to wait for the elevator to go to their floor, board it and then wait for it to go to the floor they're working on, stopping by on all other levels in the meantime.

Unless the elevator works on some kind of schedule, like a bus. So people wanting to go from housing to mining have to be there at 8 o'clock, people wanting to go to the hospital have to be there at 8:30, etc. But even then, if security had to respond to an emergency, getting there quickly would be hard. So it would make sense to have a faster way to get around.

Then again, piecewise said this colony is more 3d, so the elevator is probably just one of the possible ways we can get around. There's probably something like stairs or maybe detours we can take through "family" spheres.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20559 on: July 27, 2015, 12:15:47 pm »

Could be a bank of people elevators and one freight elevator, too.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20560 on: July 27, 2015, 12:18:55 pm »

We have lasers, we can make our own stairs if need be.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20561 on: July 27, 2015, 12:20:47 pm »

"stairs".
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20562 on: July 27, 2015, 12:38:15 pm »

Too bad I didn't get to keep the PEW.  I could make a whole series of stair-analogues!

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #20563 on: July 27, 2015, 12:52:08 pm »

That's a point, my corpse has a HEP on it if you want to borrow it.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20564 on: July 27, 2015, 01:14:24 pm »

High Energy Projector: Stair-making since 48th century!
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 1369 1370 [1371] 1372 1373 ... 2205