Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1368 1369 [1370] 1371 1372 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2496260 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #20535 on: July 26, 2015, 04:16:40 pm »

And in light of such devastation, I changed my death counter to a progress bar! Though PW being slow will probably slow it down somewhat :P

I should go fiddle with the code on that a little more...
I've got 25 levels to play with, kri, I can't blow my load on the ground floor.

I just wonder how high the fatality rate as to get before they try to run away.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20536 on: July 26, 2015, 04:28:25 pm »

And in light of such devastation, I changed my death counter to a progress bar! Though PW being slow will probably slow it down somewhat :P

We should really invest in a mobile version of those rods they have at R&D for crap like this. Too bad they're so bad for reality and such.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20537 on: July 26, 2015, 04:31:55 pm »

Assuming that one of those levels (randomly chosen) actually contains what they are seeking, and each wrong level results in, say, one casualty on average, statistically speaking, what are the chances of them actually reaching the goal with the chosen strategy of theirs (two teams, one going down from the top, one going up from the bottom), assuming fanatical determination and lack of fear of death?

As in, at least a single survivor reaching the source alive? :P

P.S. They do have a few sods yet. They also count as valid victims, but they cannot capture the flag on their own. This spices the calculations up, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:34:45 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20538 on: July 26, 2015, 04:37:05 pm »

Assuming that one of those levels (randomly chosen) actually contains what they are seeking, and each wrong level results in, say, one casualty on average, statistically speaking, what are the chances of them actually reaching the goal with the chosen strategy of theirs (two teams, one going down from the top, one going up from the bottom), assuming fanatical determination and lack of fear of death?

As in, at least a single survivor reaching the source alive? :P

P.S. They do have a few sods yet. They also count as valid victims, but they cannot capture the flag on their own. This spices the calculations up, doesn't it?

25 floors

One-fifth chance they all die before they reach the source (If  it's on rows 10-15, RIP)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #20539 on: July 26, 2015, 04:47:50 pm »

I hope a rescue team doesn't have to be sent in.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Nunzillor

« Reply #20540 on: July 26, 2015, 04:59:44 pm »

We'll take care of it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20541 on: July 26, 2015, 05:09:33 pm »

Reviewing the mission details, I was reminded that there's a nice, big, blowy nuclear reactor somewhere in the center of the colony. M-mmm. Very suitable "way to make sure".  ;)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20542 on: July 26, 2015, 05:12:41 pm »

There should be one mission that you are free to go on at all times, and is permenantly there in the background for the rest of the game except that it is filled with high mortality bullshit.
If someone wants to go out in a blaze of glory, let them go on that mission, and if someone new comes in, put them on that mission and call it orientation day.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #20543 on: July 26, 2015, 05:35:55 pm »

There should be one mission that you are free to go on at all times, and is permenantly there in the background for the rest of the game except that it is filled with high mortality bullshit.
If someone wants to go out in a blaze of glory, let them go on that mission, and if someone new comes in, put them on that mission and call it orientation day.
Traumatize every newby by having them stand next to a guy who is violently exploding in their face.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20544 on: July 26, 2015, 05:36:52 pm »

We already have that. It's called the Rec Room :P
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20545 on: July 26, 2015, 05:40:33 pm »

We already have that. It's called the Wreck Room :P
Fix'd.  :P
Past Sigs

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #20546 on: July 26, 2015, 06:29:35 pm »

Really though, one team from top the other from the bottom seems like a bad choice. Something like binary search would be better or some variation thereof. Because assuming searching one level takes enough time for another one of those pulses to hit us, then we'd have a maximum of 12 pulses until we find it, which would probably lead to a TPK. On the other hand, if we send one team to check the top, one team in the bottom and one team in the middle, then with the first pulse we eliminate the chance that this thing is above or below the colony (or confirm it, in which case job done) while the middle team tells us where the pulse came from, up or down (if the team does not survive, then their time of death compared to the time of injury of the other teams could achieve the same). Assuming a uniform 33% death rate for each level, that gives us... 8-7 survivors for the first pulse with 10 levels left to search.

Continuing the search by dividing the team in 3 teams (or two if there are more casualties by other threats in those floors) and sending them to explore the middle of the group of unexplored floors the source could be in, we could finish the search much more quickly, with much higher chances of survival.

If you're afraid of splitting the group in three, then you can just send the second group to the middle. I'll suggest that IC tomorrow.

If piecewise let us use spread the sods out across the levels, we could be done by the time the next pulse hits, maybe even use them to triangulate the source's position, but I doubt he'd make it that easy.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20547 on: July 26, 2015, 08:56:32 pm »

I've been thinking about Mad Hatter, and I just understood that it can probably also negate Black Halo effect to some point, as well as direct mindfuck-based invisibility tricks (to some point, once again). So hopefully it can be useful even outside M21, in certain situations (in addition to all the Cartographer-clone mapping features).
Past Sigs

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20548 on: July 27, 2015, 03:11:32 am »

Your 'not load' killed 5 characters. I can't wait to see how the rest of this goes, it's shaping up well!

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20549 on: July 27, 2015, 03:24:48 am »

Okay kids, from now on until that weird insta-death mission is completed, whenever a euphemism for sexual attraction to murder is used take a shot.*
*Don't actually do this.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 1368 1369 [1370] 1371 1372 ... 2205