Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1303 1304 [1305] 1306 1307 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2486912 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #19560 on: July 06, 2015, 10:06:20 pm »

Hey Radio, remember my first character? Can't remember his name, but one thing I certainly recall was him taking down a Blackship with nothing but a laser rifle, annoying stubborness and some confusing and honestly undeserved trust from others that I wouldn't be too dumb about it.
Man those were interesting times.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19561 on: July 07, 2015, 05:59:51 am »

Do the gyromitra team players level up now? Am new to this, and don't fully understand.
One wheel short of a wagon

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19562 on: July 07, 2015, 06:16:03 am »

Do the gyromitra team players level up now? Am new to this, and don't fully understand.

Yup, you may level up. Usually when payment is dished out it is okay to level up as well. Unless you died, then you should wait to see your penalties.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19563 on: July 07, 2015, 06:29:01 am »

Using the level-up thread, right? 5 Points?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19564 on: July 07, 2015, 09:50:38 am »

Don't you remember when Mesk installed prosthetics during the AP mission? In the case of robotic limbs, you surgically attach an electronic device that provides an interface between the patient's nerves and the robotic limb. It looks sort of like a socket. The limb is attached on that.

Sure, but I also imagine that back then (and every time such a limb is installed on ship) there is an abstracted away 'learning period' where a person learns to use the new limb (every arm is a little different, you can't exactly say what nerve is where and what exactly it controlled, so there should be a 'learning period' the wearer to be able to use his limb). A limb needs fine brain-controlled movement to be very useful, while a synthetic organ could be made much more 'independent'. But this thing now is supposed to be 'plug and play', right? Though I guess pw might be calling in handwavium for this.

Was that ever mentioned by piecewise? Even if it was, then that just means that whoever buys the surgical tools armoury item needs a medical kit, which should be easy to get for a medic. And that item is for medics with tokens to spare who don't want to buy a DoctorBody (assuming  it becomes an armoury item), so they should already have a kit.

Anyway, it still probably doesn't apply to the DoctorBody, since piecewise said it can perform transplants and never implied he had to buy anything else to do so. He told her to "go out there and heal people", not "go out there, get someone to buy you some tools or scrounge some tokens to buy them yourself and then heal people". So until he answers Xantalos' current post, I'll be assuming it can do anything a medic with some surgical tools and an advanced kit can.

Well yes, I kinda assume that if the surgical tools don't come with suture and such standard, one needs to still buy them. Oh well, we'll see what pw says, but I'll say now I'd probably not consider taking him on my mission until I know what that body has and can do.

That sounds like a bad idea. What if the shuttle gets destroyed down there or gets trapped on the ground for some reason but we really need to get down there?

Oh, it's not my plan A either, but I'm trying to prevent us having to go in blind. We'll have to do that differently depending on how many shuttles we have (we should have plenty though, thanks to Hep shipment). Besides, if that scenario happens, and we went down with all our shuttles at once, we might be trapped there with no way out.

Although I disagree with the deployment of sods and gunner-bots in the first place, since I don't think they'll help that much. Sure, they can go ahead and trigger traps for us like some sort of living mine detector but a) that has a chance of backfiring because they might destroy something or kill someone we need that way b) they are more likely to be affected by mind control or mindfuck (if something like that is down there) and turn on us while we are focused on something else c) they'll either make the mission harder or if they don't then they probably won't really matter that much, because missions are supposed to be challenging for the players.

They can do other things, like staying with the shuttles after we landed safely to ensure our ticket home isn't compromised. Also, I have more faith in the trigger discipline of a sod than an average ARM recruit. Also, why exactly are they more likely to be affected? True, they only need certain changes to be made dangerous (eg 'listen to person a instead of person B') but their unique upbringing and design might make them more resistant in other places (no use inciting anger to trigger violence, a sod told to stand down should always stand down). C is a very meta consideration, so one Miya can't incorporate in his decision, but I'll also point to defense of Hep, where sods were useful and helped out, but didn't exactly win the mission for us, just provided nice support.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:03:13 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19565 on: July 07, 2015, 10:21:57 am »

Hmm, clones can't use spacemagic, does that mean they're not effected by it either?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19566 on: July 07, 2015, 10:32:49 am »

No.  You can barbeque/accelerate/gravitize/mind control/turn into mush a Sod with no trouble.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19567 on: July 07, 2015, 10:36:36 am »

No.  You can barbeque/accelerate/gravitize/mind control/turn into mush a Sod with no trouble.
mmmmmmmmm sodeque
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #19568 on: July 07, 2015, 10:57:37 am »

Sure, but I also imagine that back then (and every time such a limb is installed on ship) there is an abstracted away 'learning period' where a person learns to use the new limb (every arm is a little different, you can't exactly say what nerve is where and what exactly it controlled, so there should be a 'learning period' the wearer to be able to use his limb). A limb needs fine brain-controlled movement to be very useful, while a synthetic organ could be made much more 'independent'. But this thing now is supposed to be 'plug and play', right? Though I guess pw might be calling in handwavium for this. 
Isn't that true for every Armoury item? Yet everybody seems to somehow know how to fly a shuttle or pilot a MK3 or use a mining exosuit or a computer with people even being able to exchange those suits during a mission. Unless you are proposing that humans somehow naturally know how to fly with MK3s by watching too many spy films. Do you want to have people pass mandatory classes with a multiple choice exam in the end to be able to use a piece of equipment?

Limbs are even simpler than the above. You're not that concerned about feeling or other nerves. You're just concerned about connecting the 3 or 4 (can't remember right now) main nerves that control movement and probably ensuring the nerves responsible for feeling are somewhat right to provide feedback for handling fragile objects. After that, the system can self-adjust and determine the right nerve for each muscle using a machine-learning system, if the doctor can't determine that during surgery with the future-tech medical tools presumably included in the surgery kit. After that, it's just a matter of the body getting used to the limb (and vice versa if the limb has an appropriate self-adjustment system), which is fairly easy, since the body has a very good capacity to adjust to changes that happen to it.

If you wanted things to be completely realistic, then any new piece of equipment would give a penalty and would have a chance of failure when used until the user adjusts to them (probably an hour or less if in stressful conditions), but that would make things needlessly complicated for no real benefit, just for the sake of what someone thinks should be realistic with futuretech. And when we have things like AIs or memory wiping or magical super-strong white flesh or near-infinite generators or tiny batteries with near-infinite power, I don't think a tool capable of helping a doctor perform surgery and reconnect the right nerves in the field is the thing that would be most unrealistic.

Well yes, I kinda assume that if the surgical tools don't come with suture and such standard, one needs to still buy them. Oh well, we'll see what pw says, but I'll say now I'd probably not consider taking him on my mission until I know what that body has and can do.
If you don't want a good medic on the mission just because there's a very slim chance she might need to buy some extra tools, there's not much I can do about it.

Oh, it's not my plan A either, but I'm trying to prevent us having to go in blind. We'll have to do that differently depending on how many shuttles we have (we should have plenty though, thanks to Hep shipment). Besides, if that scenario happens, and we went down with all our shuttles at once, we might be trapped there with no way out.
I'd say being trapped on a hostile planet beats losing the Sword because we can't go down there to stop whatever danger is there. Because if it is something we could simply shoot from orbit, then the ambush would make little sense, because even if they kill all of us, the Sword could just nuke the installation from orbit. That's why I'm thinking that if it is an ambush from human forces and not some space magic disaster or alien predator, then it is not an ambush for us. It's an ambush for the Sword. And that's why I'm thinking an ambush by human forces is not very likely.

Besides, any ground forces you send won't be able to progress past the gate on the surface for gameplay's sake. Because if we could just remote control sods from orbit, we'd do that every mission. So the colony would still be an unknown to us, we'll just know it's probably safe to land. Unless they did something like bury nukes in the colony and detonate them to trap us in a sinkhole, but again, unlikely due to gameplay.

About sods, true, staying with the shuttles is the only good use I can think of them, besides minesweepers. Assuming they don't go berserk because we awoke some sort of alien artefact and damage or destroy our return shuttle before Steve can zap them (even worse if we lose contact or trigger some sort of anomaly and go to another dimension or something).

About trigger discipline, I'm concerned about their orders. If you remember, Flint once walked straight up to one of them and the sod did nothing until he zapped the sod to death. They also display an astounding lack of concern about other things and self preservation during combat. (Since there have been no explicit mentions of any advanced training program, I'm assuming we're giving them the same old UWM training.) So you'd need orders that take care of that, so that they shoot any bad guy they spot, but not shoot anybody who is not a bad guy and also be careful not to damage anything important while shooting. One could argue the same thing about players, but players don't really need to be given that clear orders beforehand. They screw up naturally due to their own choices and bad luck.

I'm mostly concerned about the fact that they probably have very little will-power. They are not truly human. And humans are known to be somewhat "magical". Their "free range" lives and memories have something in them. Furthermore, sods don't have anything to fight for. They feel constant pleasure as long as they are following orders. So there's nothing they can really draw on for motivation. I don't really know exactly how space magic works, but I doubt the can "scream the loudest" as the AM put it. I mean, consider the fact that 3 trained UWM black ops officers killed themselves because of sharkmist radiation. You'd think sods would had fared better in the same circumstances?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:03:48 am by Parisbre56 »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19569 on: July 07, 2015, 12:11:18 pm »

Using the level-up thread, right? 5 Points?

That's right. 5 for stats and another 5 for skills. 1 point either for stats or skills.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:25:32 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19570 on: July 07, 2015, 12:12:17 pm »

Thanks. Time to make my own cocktails at the bar next turn.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19571 on: July 07, 2015, 12:14:02 pm »

Xan can talk to brains, sweet. That'll bring all the manipulator boys to the yard for sure.

In fact, that and his skills might actually make him perfect for manipulator brainbearing duties.

That's right. 5 for stats and another 5 for skills.

Wasn't he on the rescue team, though? That means he got only 1 point, I think. To share between categories, no less.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19572 on: July 07, 2015, 12:26:00 pm »

That's right. 5 for stats and another 5 for skills.

Wasn't he on the rescue team, though? That means he got only 1 point, I think. To share between categories, no less.

Oh right, I forgot that particular detail.
Old sigs.
Games.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19573 on: July 07, 2015, 12:31:20 pm »

Right, Baldster. Leeyes is going down.

So 1 point to share is on on either? The narrative will be so much less interesting if I spend it on fate than on a weapon skill.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #19574 on: July 07, 2015, 12:36:42 pm »

Xan can talk to brains, sweet. That'll bring all the manipulator boys to the yard for sure.

In fact, that and his skills might actually make him perfect for manipulator brainbearing duties.
I would say she's perfect for Amp brain bearing duties. Ampers only need their brain intact to perform their duties. So, say that during combat, you don't have enough spare parts to rebuild the body of an amper... You just stick their braincase in her and hey presto, your amper can see, think and shoot once more.

Wonder if she can give temporary control of parts of her body to those brains. That would make other abomination routes possible. You're bad at shooting? No problem, just give control of a pair of hands to a soldier's brain, hand them a laser rifle and you have a great point defence gun.

Putting manipulator brains there on the other hand (or any other potentially hostile/unwilling brain for that matter) might be a bad idea if they can try to take over the body or merely whisper seditious thoughts to her.

But it has good interrogation potential: Did you accidentally kill that civilian you needed? No problem, just stick his brain in her and he can keep giving you directions once he stops screaming.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:39:01 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 1303 1304 [1305] 1306 1307 ... 2205