Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1299 1300 [1301] 1302 1303 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2487274 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #19500 on: July 04, 2015, 11:19:28 pm »

Hey Ozarck, are you still interested in trying to buy that limb-vat? Right now would probably be a good time to met IC if you still want to try and do that.
I'm still interested, but I think the rug has been pulled out from under us with Xan.
I kinda want to take at least partial credit for this abomination anyway, as it was based off a permutation of an idea I proposed in tinker: essentially an exosuit that carried spares. that got modified into a suit pretty much made of spares, which then ...

Xan himself is kinda (in some aspects) becoming more human. And that's actually somewhat more scary than the alternative.
That explanation I can understand. And yes, it's actually far more scary - Fridge Horror-scary.

Humans are by nature fairly honest beings, and typically find lying uncomfortable. Of course, many people get broken from the norm via trauma, long term stressors, or unusual birth situations and find lying natural and "right" somehow, so we have that weird mixture of honest, dishonest (people who are normal but overcome their discomort), and pathological liars. I believe honesty is more naturally human, but philosophers are divided.
I can accept that approach. As for me, well, I'd say (at this point of life and reasoning) that 'conveying information' in general is naturally human. And some cultures/mindsets approve of conveying correct information (i.e. value honesty - very often by itself), while others approve of conveying incorrect information instead (i.e. value lies - as means towards some goal, almost always). Fun thing? Some (rare, specific, secondary) cultures approve conveying meaningless information (i.e., neither truth nor lies - for some, most often not specified, reasons), like abstract paintings, Zen koans or Internet "crazy randomness".

All in all, I'd say, most people being honest means overall victory of truth-valuing cultures (which is a commendable thing, I admit) rather than anything else - though I am open to agreeing to disagreeing here.  ;)
Often the societies that value incorrect information are really putting another value ahead of truth: loyalty to family, honor, saving face, politeness. And as or meaningless inormation: Zen Buddhism favors this in philosophy as a part of the path to nonbeing. One could argue, however, that most, if not all, cultures value nonmeaningful information, in the form of emotive language, and in the form of music. Music in particular is not really designed to carry information, but to evoke a mood. Of course, back when oral societies were the norm, songs did convey important info. even so, much of music is there for reasons other than the "meaning."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19501 on: July 04, 2015, 11:41:09 pm »

Preliminary draft of mission roster sent to other mission commanders; we'll see how that ends.

Announcement:
Since they (soon will) have been approved for armory inclusion, the following items will be available with the next shipment from Hephaestus (i.e. so available already, in preparation for the new missions):

Hoverboard (4 tokens)
Blaster pistol (1 token)
Blaster rifle (4 tokens)
Blaster bazooka (8 tokens)
Light Milnoplate (6 tokens)
Flight variant Milnoplate (8 tokens)
Full Milnoplate (10 tokens)
Counter-Pressure Suit Underwear (0 tokens)
Force Monosword, classic variant (3 tokens; waiting on Council confirmation)

Often the societies that value incorrect information are really putting another value ahead of truth: loyalty to family, honor, saving face, politeness. And as or meaningless inormation: Zen Buddhism favors this in philosophy as a part of the path to nonbeing. One could argue, however, that most, if not all, cultures value nonmeaningful information, in the form of emotive language, and in the form of music. Music in particular is not really designed to carry information, but to evoke a mood. Of course, back when oral societies were the norm, songs did convey important info. even so, much of music is there for reasons other than the "meaning."
Spot on! This is why I like discussing such things: you never know what gems of wisdom might come out.
Yes, I would agree that, by far and large, music can be considered means conveying nonmeaningful information, at least in a way that does not consider emotions some weird form of information.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19502 on: July 04, 2015, 11:42:38 pm »

Oh yeah, I'd nearly forgotten. Deathcube Services are open for business.

Feel free to message me with any questions or requests.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19503 on: July 05, 2015, 12:02:13 am »

Hey Ozarck, are you still interested in trying to buy that limb-vat? Right now would probably be a good time to met IC if you still want to try and do that.
I'm still interested, but I think the rug has been pulled out from under us with Xan.
Nah. He only has robotic limbs, so he wouldn't take our potential customers. He might even buy a limb or two himself.

Preliminary draft of mission roster sent to other mission commanders; we'll see how that ends.

Announcement:
Since they (soon will) have been approved for armory inclusion, the following items will be available with the next shipment from Hephaestus (i.e. so available already, in preparation for the new missions):

Hoverboard (4 tokens)
Blaster pistol (1 token)
Blaster rifle (4 tokens)
Blaster bazooka (8 tokens)
Light Milnoplate (6 tokens)
Flight variant Milnoplate (8 tokens)
Full Milnoplate (10 tokens)
Counter-Pressure Suit Underwear (0 tokens)
Force Monosword, classic variant (3 tokens; waiting on Council confirmation)
All of those sound interestingn, but what's "Counter-Pressure Suit Underwear" good for, and how is it different for an MCP?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19504 on: July 05, 2015, 12:11:29 am »

It is, effectively, an upgrade to MCP technology for older Mk suits. It confers the same "no explosive depressurisation if subjected to vacuum" feature to Mk suit series when word under. It is a semi-temporary measure intended for Mk III users mostly, since there is no MCP III yet, and it might still be a few missions before we have it finished - as well for those who are/will be using outdated suits in general (because of sentimental or economical reasons, for example).
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Nunzillor

« Reply #19505 on: July 05, 2015, 12:18:20 am »

Pretty cool, my character will have to check that stuff out.  Do you mind if I ask how a flight variant minoplate suit compares to a MKIII?  Other than being 2 tokens cheaper.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19506 on: July 05, 2015, 12:36:40 am »

Flight suit doesn't fly by itself. It's just the armor to go with the MK3.

Deathcube: Soft+Self sounds interesting, might test that.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 12:38:11 am by Egan_BW »

Nunzillor

« Reply #19507 on: July 05, 2015, 12:38:57 am »

Ah... my bad.  Looks like I'll have to save up for that MK3 after all.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19508 on: July 05, 2015, 02:28:17 am »

Deathcube: Soft+Self sounds interesting, might test that.
Just lemme know! Available for the low low price of free.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19509 on: July 05, 2015, 08:15:13 am »

Toaster, you probably need to remind pw about the pantheon again.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #19510 on: July 05, 2015, 10:44:26 am »

So, everyone on the G Team got five tokens and then the bonus
Spoiler: PAYDAY (click to show/hide)

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19511 on: July 05, 2015, 02:02:24 pm »

If Xan wants a mythological name, there are these giant things with hundreds of hands. Aegaeon or Gyges might be cool.

EDIT: I was way behind on that suggestion. Nevermind.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 03:26:42 pm by DoctorMcTaalik »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19512 on: July 05, 2015, 02:12:51 pm »

If Xan wants a mythological name, there are these giant things with hundreds of hands. Aegaeon or Gyges might be cool.

Huh, so I'm basically a hektatonkhire if I read that right.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19513 on: July 05, 2015, 02:51:36 pm »

You know, I was the one who came up with limb ripping, and the hekatonkheires name...

@Nunzillor

Milnoplate and MK.IIIs are entirely different things.  The MK.III is an exoskeleton, MK.II, and jetpack system, all integrated together.  Milnoplate is just armor.  There is no armor on an MK.III whatsoever, aside from the (very slight) incidental protection granted by the metal bars that make up the exoskeleton.

Full milnoplate covers your entire body, and is highly reistant to all small arms, including gauss rifles and lasers.  It won't help much against heavier weapons such as a heavy gauss cannon or plasma weapon, but those are pretty rare.

Full milnoplate is also very heavy, and makes it hard for an MK.III to fly.  The flight variant corrects for this, by removing the limb armor and replacing it with a very thin layer of hexsand.  That protects your limbs from laser fire as well as the milnoplate, although it won't really help for any kinetics.  It's inferior armor to full milnoplate, but you can fly at full effectiveness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #19514 on: July 05, 2015, 05:52:10 pm »

Actually, Ozarck suggested an exosuit carrying limbs, I suggested a battlesuit with usable limbs it can rip off and you suggested ripping limbs off of others and the hekatonkheiras name, and then I went on to write a more fleshorror-y tinker post, contact piecewise and sell my soul to him and the mind of a medic to the infirmary in exchange for the creation of the DoctorSuit.

Which is kind of funny if you think about it, because people usually sell their souls to piecewise in exchange for becoming abominations. Now I sold my soul to piecewise so that someone else who had already sold his soul to piecewise could become an abomination... again. I'm like the abomination enabler.

I can write a more complete recounting of how things went down, if anyone's interested.
Pages: 1 ... 1299 1300 [1301] 1302 1303 ... 2205