Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1180 1181 [1182] 1183 1184 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2490623 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #17715 on: June 08, 2015, 04:11:05 pm »

Got my new char done. I will post it soon.

Yeah, that's the spirit!
hey can charisma be used to manipulate other players?
You can try, but even at level 4 it's highly unlikely it will work for things that player doesn't want to do (or if you don't use the mind control amp). It would be more likely to work on NPCs though, again assuming you don't try ridiculous things like trying to convince an enemy platoon to stab itself with its bayonets. You could do something like deceiving them into going the wrong way for example, if the circumstances allow for it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17716 on: June 08, 2015, 04:23:59 pm »

Well, previously there was a character that was established as a "witch" (male, amusingly) who outright manipulated other people with his Cha rolls (or were those his Speech rolls back then? I don't remember); can't say how much of this was 'forced' and how much people/Piecewise went along with the idea at the time. That, and the game mechanics paradigm shift that separates now from then.
I can see this getting troublesome in some cases, so I wouldn't count on this being a guaranteed power (like 'shooting people dead' with a gauss rifle, for example) - but as a potential one it sure might exist.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #17717 on: June 08, 2015, 04:26:43 pm »

And what about having +4 Intuition? I wonder if Piecewise will surrender plot info after good rolls. Like, making divination. Not out of thin air, but when convenient.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:31:23 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #17718 on: June 08, 2015, 05:18:31 pm »

I got my forearm impaled by a bit of bone when the shuttle got shot at, though everyone else was fine.

Did my -2 in fate affect my roll, or was piecewise finding me annoying? Is there any way I can tell?

Did he roll separately for everyone?
Don't worry, If you start annoying me I'll just electrocute you. Why use mild environmental hazards when I can just fry your brain steam directly!  :P

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17719 on: June 08, 2015, 05:25:53 pm »

I got my forearm impaled by a bit of bone when the shuttle got shot at, though everyone else was fine.

Did my -2 in fate affect my roll, or was piecewise finding me annoying? Is there any way I can tell?

Don't worry, If you start annoying me I'll just electrocute you. Why use mild environmental hazards when I can just fry your brain steam directly!  :P
Brains generate steam? Why didn't anybody tell me this!
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #17720 on: June 08, 2015, 05:31:16 pm »

this could be a good source of renewable energy!
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #17721 on: June 08, 2015, 06:12:22 pm »

If I shock them hard enough they do.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #17722 on: June 08, 2015, 06:55:46 pm »

I imagine Mesk's hand stalking the VR machines like a face hugger, waiting for a tinkerer to enter and then ambushing while they've been incapacitated by drugs and their love for death tubes. Piecewise could start paying it to slap anyone that mentions armour thickness.

That said, he could stand to make the turn posts a little more obvious :P ))
It was easier in the past because you just had to look for the skull next to the giant post. Now you have to look for one of the rotating skulls so it's... still not that hard to spot a turn.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17723 on: June 08, 2015, 07:03:49 pm »

Not hard, no, but for someone who is new to the RTD, not easy either. It's not much of a problem in missions, as long as there are enough people with actions to resolve, but sometimes PW's turn is shorter than some player posts, which makes it very hard to pick out. (see the recent nuke explosion as an example)

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17724 on: June 08, 2015, 08:53:38 pm »

Anyone want to talk about Elias's actions in Snapdragon? Everybody seems pretty pissed, myself included, so I'd like to try to calmly talk about it OOC. I'm obviously biased, but I feel like beheading a few people isn't that bad. The thing is, bodies are heavy, and we've got plenty of them. If we take the heads off a few corpses, we can save time by not carrying a bunch of dead weight. I feel the same way about the still living who can't move: they're on a hellish world that will tear them apart at the first oppurtunity it gets, and already has done so fairly effectively. They're basically dead men walking, except they can't even walk. If we try to carry every one, it will just give the planet more time to notice and destroy our only escape vehicle, and all we're doing is preserving some meat, which is currently completely useless. The way Elias sees it, and myself OOC, taking their entire bodies just adds unnecessary risk with no reward.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17725 on: June 08, 2015, 08:59:48 pm »

Given how the planet seems pretty calm for now, it seems worth the risk to just take the whole body.
And what use is rescue team but as corpse-caddies anyway?  :P

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17726 on: June 08, 2015, 09:08:57 pm »

Anyone want to talk about Elias's actions in Snapdragon? Everybody seems pretty pissed, myself included, so I'd like to try to calmly talk about it OOC. I'm obviously biased, but I feel like beheading a few people isn't that bad. The thing is, bodies are heavy, and we've got plenty of them. If we take the heads off a few corpses, we can save time by not carrying a bunch of dead weight. I feel the same way about the still living who can't move: they're on a hellish world that will tear them apart at the first oppurtunity it gets, and already has done so fairly effectively. They're basically dead men walking, except they can't even walk. If we try to carry every one, it will just give the planet more time to notice and destroy our only escape vehicle, and all we're doing is preserving some meat, which is currently completely useless. The way Elias sees it, and myself OOC, taking their entire bodies just adds unnecessary risk with no reward.

Given how the planet seems pretty calm for now, it seems worth the risk to just take the whole body.

I see both your points, and I suggest this be hashed out in character. If Lyra and Elias start fighting, Gus will probably try to intervene, being the nice guy he is.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #17727 on: June 08, 2015, 09:29:22 pm »

I think handling that situation would be better IC. From a purely OOC point of view, I don't disagree with you, but my character is tired, stressed, has four permadeaths hanging over his head, and isn't a fan of killing people.

Anyway, in terms of casualties, we only have one revivable corpse. One character has no legs, one character has only one leg and one arm, and one character has a broken leg. Another character is missing their arms, but can walk just fine. I've been treating the permacorpses as abandoned, though in hindsight I never specified that that was what we were doing. That's few enough people unable to walk that cutting their heads off isn't necessary.

Arguments concerning mechanical prosthetics being objectively better aren't going to hold any weight with my character or I, either. I'm planning on heavy use of genemods, which require a fleshy body with genes to mod. Your method forces people to get those prosthetics, even if they don't want them; whereas if people bother to bring the severed limbs back to the ship, the character can  request it not be re-attached, anyway. Prosthetics are free, regrowing bodies costs tokens.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17728 on: June 08, 2015, 09:46:49 pm »

I see both your points, and I suggest this be hashed out in character. If Lyra and Elias start fighting, Gus will probably try to intervene, being the nice guy he is.
There's no way we're fighting. Lyra can easily insta-kill Elias, and he knows it. Well, unless the shock implant stops her, which I'm guessing it won't. The only people who can control them are Hasala, Miyamoto, and Steve IIRC, and I doubt any of them will prevent a fairly old player from killing a newbie, unless the newbie is completely and utterly right in their actions, which Elias certainly isn't. Also, if Gus tried to help in a fight and sided with Elias, he would probably get tazed for it, because Lyra's a far older and more important character than him.
I think handling that situation would be better IC. From a purely OOC point of view, I don't disagree with you, but my character is tired, stressed, has four permadeaths hanging over his head, and isn't a fan of killing people.

Anyway, in terms of casualties, we only have one revivable corpse. One character has no legs, one character has only one leg and one arm, and one character has a broken leg. Another character is missing their arms, but can walk just fine. I've been treating the permacorpses as abandoned, though in hindsight I never specified that that was what we were doing. That's few enough people unable to walk that cutting their heads off isn't necessary.

Arguments concerning mechanical prosthetics being objectively better aren't going to hold any weight with my character or I, either. I'm planning on heavy use of genemods, which require a fleshy body with genes to mod. Your method forces people to get those prosthetics, even if they don't want them; whereas if people bother to bring the severed limbs back to the ship, the character can  request it not be re-attached, anyway. Prosthetics are free, regrowing bodies costs tokens.
Elias doesn't know how many injured people or corpses there are, because he asked repeatedly and was never told. His only real contact on the surface crammed an arm through his face mid-conversation.

I don't think it's going to be calm for long. If Gyromitra Team is in the future compared to Snapdragon, it's about to get real bad real fast. Even if it isn't, I doubt the planet will be pleased that its brainworm  just got nuked, so I expect it to retaliate.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #17729 on: June 08, 2015, 09:59:47 pm »

Elias doesn't know how many injured people or corpses there are, because he asked repeatedly and was never told. His only real contact on the surface crammed an arm through his face mid-conversation.

I gave a status update here, which included a casualty count, and then another one here, after the nuclear explosion. Both of those were audible to the entire extraction team. In general, it's best to assume that if someone doesn't state something was said privately, it was said openly. Like right now, I'm assuming Hasala can hear your character arguing with Lyra, but not hear or see her responses, since she's sending them via wristpad to you and only you.

I don't think it's going to be calm for long. If Gyromitra Team is in the future compared to Snapdragon, it's about to get real bad real fast. Even if it isn't, I doubt the planet will be pleased that its brainworm  just got nuked, so I expect it to retaliate.

The planet's nervous system is divided up between various nerve clusters. Removing one cluster wouldn't cause the same mindless reaction in the area of another nerve cluster, and the two teams are on opposite sides of the planet. And neither team is necessarily ahead of the other, chronologically; there's more reason for them to be synced than there is for them not to be.
Pages: 1 ... 1180 1181 [1182] 1183 1184 ... 2205