Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2496564 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC
« Reply #16170 on: April 20, 2015, 04:05:39 pm »

Unholy, it was made clear what was expected of Auron to do. He was brought to the team due to his Uncon skill, not his Aux, hence the machete. He was shocked after disobeying an order during a b.ops mission and that's the end of it. Trying to spark an argument won't make Auron be un-shocked the same way it won't retcon him not following the order, unless you talk to piecewise about it.

Please accept that fact and carry on with the mission.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16171 on: April 20, 2015, 04:29:05 pm »

@Mission 20: You might want to specify that the second jeep drives behind the first one.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16172 on: April 20, 2015, 04:32:42 pm »

Well, brain backups are already possible, right? And this should still be more fun than just placing a "saved state" behind on the Sword - you're taking your ticket to resurrectionland with you to the warzone!

But mostly I'm wondering why "active" distribution is possible and readily available, while "passive" (which, it appears, should be easier to accomplish) might end up unavailable or at least even more expensive than "active". Metagame reasons notwithstanding, of course - purely from in-universe POV.
I think I'm the only example of brain backups so far, and those have had unspecified consequences I'm about to find out.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16173 on: April 20, 2015, 04:33:39 pm »

Oh i fully expect to remain shocked, its happened and theres no getting around that.

Disobeying an order however is a complete load of crap, and theres no getting around that either.
"Dont wander off" does not translate to "dont open that door in front of you that needs to be opened."

Oh and your "Auron is here for his uncon skill only" argument is already worthless because he was chosen to use the Aux based cutting lasers... precedent was already set before ieven reached the door.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16174 on: April 20, 2015, 04:43:11 pm »

@Xan Well, you're the example of your own style of brain backups ;)

It is known that the Doctor offers the surgery that allows uploading brain contents (allowing for backups) which, however, holds 50% permadeath chance. It is also known that more regular "cloning" can be utilised (at least, with Hephaestus facilities), but it might have certain drawbacks since it's not the "Doctor-approved" one; now this might share the same problems your own cloning method had, though.

Oh, and finally I hypothesise that maybe Aux-augmented mind ("brain-computer" genemod) might allow for certain other avenues of mind back-ups. Of course, this being about programmes and data and not actual "brain composition" it might completely screw your stats/skills while retaining your mind/personality at most.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16175 on: April 20, 2015, 04:46:15 pm »

@Unholy: Why not just say "OK, I misunderstood. Please try to make it clearer next time to avoid such misunderstandings.", yell about it IC and be done with it? Or hell, say "That's your fault for not making it clear. I'm holding you responsible for this misunderstanding."

Because it's pretty clear that's what happened based on what you're saying: one of you said one thing (or meant to say one thing, based on one's interpretation), someone else understood another thing. That's a  misunderstanding.

Does this serve any other purpose then prolonging a meaningless argument? You said it yourself that you can't gain anything out of this, so there's no non-emotional reason to do this.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:49:02 pm by Parisbre56 »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16176 on: April 20, 2015, 04:51:08 pm »

@Current Discussion: I think anything that gives you near-immortality is a monkey's paw in a way or another. Renegade or someone else wondered if Milno could transfer his mind to the sharkmist itself, but that'd obliviate any need for a brain.

Even if it was possible, there would be good odds of permadeath since it'd mean Milno could just become a sentient cloud of sharkmist and reform at will. Any possible balancing could involve further problems aside from the chance of permanent death upon attempt, too.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:57:31 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16177 on: April 20, 2015, 04:58:08 pm »

Nope, no real point other than trying to make Caellath understand hes wrongly accusing me.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16178 on: April 20, 2015, 05:13:50 pm »

You obviously don't understand the concept of a misunderstanding. One of you believes that he has given all the data necessary for his wishes to be interpreted correctly. Yet the other does not interpret his wishes correctly and did something other than what the first one wanted. That's called a misunderstanding. However, since the second did not conform to the first one's wishes he disobeyed them even though the cause for his disobedience was a misunderstanding.

Think about it like this: if your drill Sargent showed you two fingers and you interpreted that as *do 2 push ups" while he meant "do 20 pushups", have you not disobeyed his order?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16179 on: April 20, 2015, 05:27:44 pm »

In that scenario maybe, but that scenario isnt appicable to the situation at hand.

A closer analogy would be inviting some friends over when your parents leave you home alone and tell you that you have to stay inside, it may not be the action they intended for you to take but you havent disobeyed them at all.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16180 on: April 20, 2015, 05:31:33 pm »

A distinction without a difference.

This argument has become meaningless. I will stop responding.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16181 on: April 20, 2015, 05:53:55 pm »

@Lenglon: You might want to send a PM to piecewise to get this resolved ASAP.

Or, hey, is piecewise on IRC? If yes, can anybody ask him to take a look on Lenglon's situation? Because I kinda need to know what to do here and where my character is.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16182 on: April 20, 2015, 05:58:20 pm »

Dammit people, dragon breaks are for Elder Scrolls, not ER :P
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16183 on: April 20, 2015, 06:01:07 pm »

And just like that all the respect i had just gained for you is now lost.

The difference is that in your scenario i disobeyed orders due to lack of understanding, in my analogy you followed instructions perfectly but did something to keep yourself entertained because you werent told you couldnt.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16184 on: April 20, 2015, 06:18:37 pm »

What type of music to you think would play if ER were a movie or a video game? I was listening to the Civ: BE soundtrack recently while reading ER and it seemed work really well and make it pretty epic.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 1077 1078 [1079] 1080 1081 ... 2205