Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2494866 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC
« Reply #15870 on: April 13, 2015, 07:03:21 pm »

For reference material, search for french expeditions in the 18th and 19th centuries.
They didn't often go well.
"All but 3 of the 32 local men have defected or died. Jaques has fever. Maisson broke his leg in three places while measuring a boulder. We climbed two and a half mountains today. It rained on us. Please send additional 3,000 franks to Manaus"
Sounds like good Fun!

Just got an idea in regards to missions' length. I remember someone doing the wonderful effort of measuring and charting time lengths of each ER mission, but what if for metrics we used the number of PW's posts instead? Sure these days missions are really long, unlike earlier, but in the very beginning ER mission thread got updated much more more often, sometimes three times a day; and then about a year later it was still updated more or less consistently twice a day. I understand that counting them all is probably very difficult, but maybe average GM post frequency ration could be picked.
And then it would be quite interesting to compare the "pure" mission time length chart to the one adjusted for GM post frequency; I suppose some of the early missions would come close to the recent ones in terms of "turns" number.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15871 on: April 13, 2015, 07:16:31 pm »

Just got an idea in regards to missions' length. I remember someone doing the wonderful effort of measuring and charting time lengths of each ER mission, but what if for metrics we used the number of PW's posts instead? Sure these days missions are really long, unlike earlier, but in the very beginning ER mission thread got updated much more more often, sometimes three times a day; and then about a year later it was still updated more or less consistently twice a day. I understand that counting them all is probably very difficult, but maybe average GM post frequency ration could be picked.
And then it would be quite interesting to compare the "pure" mission time length chart to the one adjusted for GM post frequency; I suppose some of the early missions would come close to the recent ones in terms of "turns" number.

This wouldn't surprise me, PW used to post a lot more frequently, and in re-reading missions, they don't feel too much longer.

Paris's forum downloader could obtain that information. It can filter by user, so you can ask it to get only PW's posts from the various threads.

As of the end of the defense mission (Which is when I last downloaded the archive to my system), PW had made 75 pages of posts at 50 ppp, including any post on the sub-board. Just for a taste of the amount of posts that has gone into the last 3 years of content :P

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15872 on: April 13, 2015, 07:51:03 pm »

For reference material, search for french expeditions in the 18th and 19th centuries.
They didn't often go well.
"All but 3 of the 32 local men have defected or died. Jaques has fever. Maisson broke his leg in three places while measuring a boulder. We climbed two and a half mountains today. It rained on us. Please send additional 3,000 franks to Manaus"
Sounds like good Fun!

Those were the days of 5-10 people playing the game though. If we still had those numbers I could update 3 times a day. But we've had like 6 people join just in the few weeks we've been on ship.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15873 on: April 13, 2015, 07:55:56 pm »

I imagine it's due in large part to the fact that you got your own sub-forum. I know I thought it was a bit much to take in when it was in the main RTD folder, but this made it seem much more accessible.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15874 on: April 13, 2015, 08:59:12 pm »

I'm interested in pretty much anything PW GMs, so my interest is pretty much a given at this point.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15876 on: April 13, 2015, 09:22:53 pm »

That game sounds very interesting indeed.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15877 on: April 13, 2015, 09:29:16 pm »

Sounds cool, although not sure how closely tied into the real world you plan on having it.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #15878 on: April 13, 2015, 09:35:03 pm »

It sounds kind of meh.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15880 on: April 13, 2015, 10:39:41 pm »

I mean, it just sounds like a reskin of ER at the moment.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15881 on: April 13, 2015, 10:47:33 pm »

Bah, I've had the idea for a hoverboard for ages. Since last time I went on a mission.
I just haven't been allowed to use tinker. :(
Oh well, my idea is still quite different. I'll have to make it anyway once the stupid VR machines stop slapping me.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #15882 on: April 13, 2015, 11:02:40 pm »

@kj

A: Are you saying ER is meh?

B: It seems to have much more of a focus on exploring, experimenting, and learning, rather than killing everything in sight.  Also, it's a massively different setting, which can make everything vastly different.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15883 on: April 13, 2015, 11:10:30 pm »

@kj

A: Are you saying ER is meh?

B: It seems to have much more of a focus on exploring, experimenting, and learning, rather than killing everything in sight.  Also, it's a massively different setting, which can make everything vastly different.
A:  I'm saying reskins are meh.

B:  Well, I wouldn't say that ER is about killing everything in sight. That's just a player thing, which probably isn't going to change much there. I mean, a good chunk of people on here are interested in that first part in this setting but they're far from the majority.

I guess what I mean is that... ER is good and this game could be good but the people playing make it meh.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15884 on: April 13, 2015, 11:10:53 pm »

It doesn't sound like ER at all, to me.
I think it sounds like good fun. Diseases, angry natives, having to manage supplies, being brutalized by wild animals... rad!

Edit: Personally I find players who metagame and break character for the sake of cheap, crude humour to be rather 'meh'.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:13:28 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 2205