Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2495473 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC
« Reply #15690 on: April 11, 2015, 10:28:52 pm »

Cheaper MK.IIs should be very common after this mission, thanks largely to the guy you're talking to.  Mk.IIs cost five tokens, and I think get three sold to the AM.  MCP.IIs cost only three tokens, IIRC, and don't really lose functionality.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15691 on: April 11, 2015, 10:54:36 pm »

Quote from: Radio
Blue dreams
1 part white rum, 1 part vodka, 1 part tequila, 1 part gin, 1 part blue curacao, 4 parts carbonated water, as much of the active ingredient in bluesmokes as in about 2 cigarettes.

This should be named "Blue Sky", not "Blue Dreams".
There's a vodka that currently exist named Blue Sky (thank Youtube ads for that tidbit).

genitals are still useless
Kids, reproduction, having sex?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #15692 on: April 11, 2015, 11:05:00 pm »

"...and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts.
Being fleshy has not been proven not to equal humanity, therefore being human must equal being fleshy."

Plus there is the Armory Master who has been considered to be the epitome of successful HMRC service and who made keeping the body intact "fashionable" and highly regarded. I am sure that if the ultimate veteran of HMRC service was a half-cyborg or had a wicked cool full-robot body prosthetic, the number of people trying to keep their fleshiness intact would have been much lower.

(I wonder how much of this "keep flesh" philosophy was actually designed and inspired to existence with Piecewise's world-building effort - the original cam-eyes & synth-body descriptions, etc. - and how much of it is player-driven and not in line with what he had in mind for the setting.)
People actually think the AM is awesome? I felt she was just kind of a Mary Sue that guards the store for no real reason other than being there in case someone actually could do something to threaten the ship in a meaningful way.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15693 on: April 11, 2015, 11:18:26 pm »

The AM is evil.
Sexy, but evil.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15694 on: April 11, 2015, 11:19:34 pm »

I felt she was just kind of a Mary Sue that guards the store for no real reason other than being there in case someone actually could do something to threaten the ship in a meaningful way.
The current theory is that she is literally genetically predisposed to becoming a Mary Sue, and yes that is quite an accurate description.

Interestingly enough, it is the treatments that maintain a human visage that render a person inhuman.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #15695 on: April 11, 2015, 11:25:07 pm »

I felt she was just kind of a Mary Sue that guards the store for no real reason other than being there in case someone actually could do something to threaten the ship in a meaningful way.
The current theory is that she is literally genetically predisposed to becoming a Mary Sue, and yes that is quite an accurate description.

Interestingly enough, it is the treatments that maintain a human visage that render a person inhuman.
Ah, so I'm justifyed in not liking her then.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15696 on: April 11, 2015, 11:51:14 pm »

Robot bodies can now have a layer of flesh applied for free for Black Operations missions. They'll appear fat and a have a frozen expression (I guess you could act stoic or blame it on botox), plus if they get grabbed the person grabbing them would notice that they're abnormal. It won't hold up under close inspection either.

We are now looking into other ways, ways that are better at evading detection

Either way, if you want to be a fat terminator that looks like they went a bit crazy on the botox and participate on Black Operations, it is now possible. Though Cael probably won't approve their use unless there is literally no other choice.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:21:41 am by Empiricist »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #15697 on: April 12, 2015, 02:10:13 am »

Remind me again why people are so against being botted?

I never asked for this.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15698 on: April 12, 2015, 03:08:38 am »

I never asked for this.

Well, we could see if we can arrange for vat-grown body replacements, though people probably won't be able to pick the aesthetics. It would be hilarious if offering human bodies increased the amount of robots :P

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #15699 on: April 12, 2015, 03:12:47 am »

I never asked for this.
Well, we could see if we can arrange for vat-grown body replacements, though people probably won't be able to pick the aesthetics. It would be hilarious if offering human bodies increased the amount of robots :P

That actually sounds interesting. I will consider that while planning character development.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:15:09 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15700 on: April 12, 2015, 03:14:19 am »

I was gonna offer bodies on the cheap but then
*sniped for mentioning fleshwarping for the billionth time*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15701 on: April 12, 2015, 03:31:09 am »

Radio-controlled

Why did you buy a kinetic amp for your Avatar?

I'm pretty sure both they and the battlesuits have built-in kinetic amp hands
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15702 on: April 12, 2015, 03:35:28 am »

I'd counter that the IVAN treatment costs five tokens more than the HRB, requires rolls to be effective, and is still less effective at keeping you alive. Can IVAN survive a nuke at point-blank 100% of the time?

If the fight lasts long enough, the Ivan treatment would result in more power though, cause you keep getting tougher. Unless they alpha-strike you hard enough you die before reaping the benefits.

One other possible reason people don't wanna go robot instantly: going robot is free, and always possible (see Pan's deal with the AM). Returning to human costs money (a good deal, I seem to remember). So if for example suddenly a super genemod comes out giving only full fleshies an advantage, the full humans can go for it, or then still decide to go robot. Full robots have less options open (at least, without having to spend money).

...So what?  If you make yourself extremely happy, and end up losing all motivation, why is that a bad thing?  You don't need to do anything, because you do things to make yourself happy, and you're already at maximal happiness, so there's no need to do anything.  This is really only a circular tautology that you choose to give meaning because it's unusual; There's nothing illogical here, unless you don't value happiness as the only real goal in your philosophy (at which point we can't discuss it because we subscribe to conflicting philosophies).

That said, I'm pretty sure you're wrong.  If you succeed, your brain eventually compensates for the increased level of happiness, essentially making you depressed if you go off the happiness, and normal otherwise.  And possibly something about degrading your brain if you keep yourself overloaded with happiness neurotransmitters for a long time.  This is why a utilitarian philosophy won't break down until we design computers that can feel happiness.

Even if we disregard the second part, there is still the possibility it doesn't pan out. Maybe if one of your life goals is to accomplish something big long-term, but you don't achieve it due to always going for the short-term pleasure, then over time that displeasure/disappointment in yourself might 'overpower' the positive stimulus of the pleasure center activation. That said, this banks on the idea of other sources being able to directly overrule direct pleasure center stimulation, and I don't know enough about brain chemistry to assert this idea's plausibility.

Though, if your mastery of brain processes is even high enough, even if the above is the case, you might be able to disable whatever causes the displeasure. For the individual however, there's a risk: before we know all of the centers that you need to activate or disable to achieve permanent euphoria, you will need test subjects. If the above scenario plays out, these initial test subjects might go into a living hell after the initial euphoria. So for the individual, it's most logical to wait until the technology is perfected (assuming that's even possible). But if everybody did the most logical thing, the technology can't be perfected!

Kids, reproduction, having sex?

Nah, ER magical medical tech can do that for you even without genitals. Take some cells, revert to stem cell stage, differentiate to germ cell progenitor cells, produce sperm/egg cells.

People actually think the AM is awesome? I felt she was just kind of a Mary Sue that guards the store for no real reason other than being there in case someone actually could do something to threaten the ship in a meaningful way.

Do you have a better way of ensuring that, if people just keep fucking about, or threaten to destroy the game, the gm has a way to stop it?

Why did you buy a kinetic amp for your Avatar?

Battlesuits do, Avatars don't. As far as I know of.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15703 on: April 12, 2015, 03:38:14 am »

RC
Even if that's the case, what do you actually need it for? Avatars can pretty munch kick their way through concrete bunkers, so amp hands are gonna be going like small nukes frankly. (the magic of squaring kinetic energy).

EDIT: assuming an Avatar can punch with the mass of 2-3 tons at 80kph, that amp would be putting out

4.444355556 × 10^9 Kilogram-Meters-per-second.

Or in other words, you're not hitting them with a rocket-propelled semi truck.

You're hitting them with 46 fully-laden jumbo jets at top speed.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:45:33 am by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15704 on: April 12, 2015, 03:40:26 am »

Even if that's the case, what do you actually need it for? Avatars can pretty munch kick their way through concrete bunkers, so amp hands are gonna be going like small nukes frankly. (the magic of squaring kinetic energy)

Because having access to 50 small short-range nukes for 3 tokens is a great bargain?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 2205