Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2487688 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #11550 on: December 02, 2014, 09:48:19 am »

I just had a thought from the robobody discussion a while back. It's probably less than desirable, but I feel I should relay it here for posterity:

How about making stats impossible to level up across the board? As in, the stats you start with, you continue with for the foreseeable future. You get more stat points to begin with, but you can't really upgrade them through regular methods. Instead, you have genemods, robomods, synthflesh bodies, exoskeletons and that kind of stuff acting as the respective stat increases. It'd make stats very distinctive from skills, which they really aren't in the present system, and normalize power levels a bit at that.

This would obviously be a bit of a far-reaching change, and I doubt it might get implemented, but I do find it a little interesting to consider. Any thoughts?
You are right. It is less than desirable option. You forget that rather many weapons have stat requirements, amps and manipulators rather high ones. Not only we/PW have to dig up the original stats of each person, he would have to rebalance all armory item requirements.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11551 on: December 02, 2014, 09:49:28 am »

Well, it would... certainly be a big step towards 'realism', yeah.
The problem with the idea is that, as far as I know, there are neither genemods nor equipment to boost, say, willpower - it was explicitly excluded from standard genemods, along with something else... either Charisma or Intelligence, can't say for sure.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11552 on: December 02, 2014, 10:18:18 am »

You are right. It is less than desirable option. You forget that rather many weapons have stat requirements, amps and manipulators rather high ones. Not only we/PW have to dig up the original stats of each person, he would have to rebalance all armory item requirements.

The stat change proposed would probably necessitate a respec for everyone rather than simply going back to the original stats they had, since that's just silly and wrong. Since a respec for everyone (granted, an optional one) might be in the works with the new roll system if that happens to materialize, I figure that's not really a big hurdle to get over, and armory item requirement rebalancing is also probably a less daunting task than one might think. Especially since one can simply provide players with slightly more (but clearly not enough to be superdudes) stat points to spread around to begin with.

And actually stat requirements are one of the things that brought forth this line of thought. Namely, the universal field manipulator requiring "a veritable genius" to use it. There's really only two items that have a considerable stat vs. token requirement right now, and those are the mind control amps, since Charisma's a regular dump stat. The others have modest (maybe except for field manipulators, since Intelligence is also a dump stat, but even then the requirement's reasonable if you've done even a modicum of planning ahead) requirements in generally highly useful stats, and thus they're mostly just window dressing for the item, or at least a very low bar for entry. Only thing they do prevent is one random person just buying a matter converter straight away in the unlikely event of having way, way too much cash on their hands.

Well, it would... certainly be a big step towards 'realism', yeah.
The problem with the idea is that, as far as I know, there are neither genemods nor equipment to boost, say, willpower - it was explicitly excluded from standard genemods, along with something else... either Charisma or Intelligence, can't say for sure.

You can simply call it "therapy" in those cases. Or make such genemods available, but exceedingly dangerous to the user and complete with hilarious safeguards in case of space-magical malfunction. Or a background check required, if you're feeling particularly nasty.

Also, it's probably intelligence you can't boost in addition to willpower, if my loose grasp of what space magic entails is correct.

There were apparently these genemods that let you basically transfer 15 points from one stat to the other, weren't there? -1 to one, +1 to the other? Wonder if those work for Int and Will. I could imagine a +1 Int enhancement giving a -1 to Will or vice versa, certainly. Also a thing that would become far more useful if stats were static.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 10:21:13 am by Harry Baldman »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11553 on: December 02, 2014, 11:08:26 am »

Obviously you shouldn't be able to increase int, or you'd then be smart enough to devise a better int booster, use that, then a BETTER int booster, and suddenly the Sheep's buddy is the least of our worries.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11554 on: December 02, 2014, 07:55:49 pm »

No sorry but you wouldnt, shit never works that way.

If anything int boosters would require intelligence tiers to design, start requiring tier 3 Int (45) and the upgrades would probably only add an extra 5 intelligence points over the previous version.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11555 on: December 02, 2014, 11:03:46 pm »

uuuuuughhhh

Game on pause for the next few days. Finals are attempting to kill me.

TIME TO GO DO MORE WORK.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11556 on: December 02, 2014, 11:05:21 pm »

I know dat feel, you lovable android you. Good luck.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11557 on: December 02, 2014, 11:14:54 pm »

Finals? I'm sure we could help with that!
ARM: Go to PW's college and 'diplomacy'
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11558 on: December 02, 2014, 11:42:13 pm »

Hi there, class! My name is Stacy, and I'm here to teach you about physics, with the help of this here handy device! Say hi to Mr Manipulator, kids!
Sig! Onol

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11559 on: December 02, 2014, 11:43:19 pm »

Hi there, class! My name is Stacy, and I'm here to teach you about physics, with the help of this here handy device! Say hi to Mr Manipulator, kids!
*person who knows about ER runs screaming from the room and keeps running*
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11560 on: December 02, 2014, 11:45:31 pm »

On an offhand note, the Doctor would probably be the best biology teacher ever if he could be arsed.
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11561 on: December 02, 2014, 11:52:37 pm »

On an offhand note, the Doctor would probably be the best biology teacher ever if he could be arsed.
If only because the relevant laws haven't been written yet.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11562 on: December 02, 2014, 11:58:34 pm »

Well, he'd have to discipline the stupid people in the class, and eh that's such a bother.
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11563 on: December 02, 2014, 11:59:44 pm »

I think it would kinda be like highlander in that class. Except where everyone is Xan.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11564 on: December 03, 2014, 12:00:31 am »

'There Can Only Be Blob'
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 2205