Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2489418 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #11385 on: November 24, 2014, 11:13:40 pm »

@Lenglon
Yep, exactly. More chaos.
Last time I rolled? Hmmm, maybe that time when I subjugated the Dissector knife (okay, that was +1 2/3, so maybe it does not count). More importantly, back before the Defense of Hephaestus when I had to cut the guy out. And back before then. Basically, pretty much any Med roll I ever had. ...Oh, you mean a destructive one? I think the only person Maurice has killed so far is Stacy, and even then not perma-killed.

The factor removed? Then just remove the decompensators, or make them much more inefficient. It might be okay to make each of them to replace the higher category, removing the perfect one altogether. No one is perfect in ER except for godlike beings like the AM/the Doctor.
There can be other ways, but that is one I could think of right off the bat.

As I said, a minority.

@syvarris
Well, I'm sorry for it. I just wanted to avoid the artificial-feeling 'pure-logical' approach to the text, going for more smooth transitions and 'natural' flow of the ideas. The damned humanitarian in me. :P I can rework it, though, if you think it'd be for the better.

As for hints:
1-a)The obvious character to have similar powers, I think, is Xan. I understand that only he has more generalised cells (as a basis for his transformation) like those of synthflesh creatures - or which might be needed to reap the full benefit of body-cells-amps, with autonomy and decentralised body functions.
1-b)However, if we go away from the obvious, there is also Milno, who lives in state of symbiosis with alien organisms permeating probably every cell of his organism.

2-a)As for what we never see, but what is common - I'm going to be very literal and obvious here, but why not her, err, nudity? With her never entering stasis, she is exempt from the communal naked party happening every time the Sword jumps, and she has paid a great deal of effort to remove those who seek knowledge of that side of her - to the point it is part of her legendary status these days. There might be a great clue to her nature, yet we've been conditioned not to look.
2-b)Another thing that nearly no one has had a chance to do is touch her, I believe. It is known that her appearance is dependent on her effort (that time after Grate incident when she was too tired to keep it up), so maybe that's a mere illusion she keeps up.
Though I concede that convicts touching each other might be rare as well.
2-c)Going on with the idea of 'things we avoid seeing around the Armory Master' - what about her inner structure, like bones (or, likely, lack of them in common sense)? The one time a (npc) convict tried to use cam-eyes on her (as we were told, for peeping reasons), he got outta the airlock. No other attempt has been made since then, I presume.
And accidentally seeing other convicts in x-ray or whatever when cam-eyeing the field on missions seems fairly common to me.

EDIT: Wow, Piecewise answered and I was not torn to shreds!
@Piecewise Seriously though, thank you for the reassurance. I was really afraid of the new system, and it gives me hope that it is not finished yet.
And yes, please, could you unhide those rolls? And those resulting in five, bonuses factored in (decomps aside). Perfect rolls deserve it, I think.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11386 on: November 24, 2014, 11:34:26 pm »

Hmm, isn't what you're proposing here going backwards from what it should probably be? Stat increases in +1's don't mean much if they won't factor into rolls anymore. Would fractional bonuses give a chance to jump from one category to another? Maybe just using the raw stat values will work just as well - set some definite bounds, on what constitutes what level of skill, flat cap the stat level that exoskeletons can push you to by themselves, check opposed rolls by stat value, etc.

Sure, it'll make it a bit more like a traditional RPG system, but with the 1-6 spread of success versus failure you'd still get a fair bit of the RTD chaos.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11387 on: November 25, 2014, 12:22:14 am »

Just a theory on the AM, and I'm sure somebody probably suggested it already, but what if she is just a sentient Universal Amp running on hundreds of infant souls? Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that her body is lighter than it should be? Maybe it's just a shell around her nougat-y space magic center.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11388 on: November 25, 2014, 03:15:04 am »

Hmmm

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11389 on: November 25, 2014, 03:24:18 am »

? I wonder what this might be all about? New game perhaps?
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11390 on: November 25, 2014, 03:29:04 am »

A six foot nine redhead girl nicknamed "Good Guy". And she's named Destiny Briggs. Why does she even need a nickname with that name?

Unless it means she's just destined for jail despite having no known crimes. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11391 on: November 25, 2014, 03:41:37 am »

Huh. New random generator. Looks cool.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11392 on: November 25, 2014, 06:25:08 am »

obviously we are getting another hmrc npc crew for the next batch of missions.
be afraid, be very afraid.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11393 on: November 25, 2014, 06:33:20 am »

1.The primary problem I see happening is inconsistency.  So, I have a +3 to Exo, and roll a one.  How much does the result rely on PW's mood?

This will always be a problem in an RTD setting. One way I can see to help with keeping consistency is showing all the rolls, but I feel that detracts from the immersion.

Who?  To my knowledge, while Pyro and Radio are above me in rank, and therefore capable of superseding anything I say, I'm the guy in charge of sods. 
And I don't think either Pyro or Radio would mind fifty sods being used to test the PM.

I wouldn't mind indeed if it's not excessive. But as I said, if Hep people ever want the machine back, they get it at the end of the current mission cycle. And you guys have a laser instaporter incoming to try and duplicate, the backlog of what you still have, and normal work like building and researching. Meanwhile people on ship are wasting valuable turns blowing spitbubbles while they could be hilariously harming themselves for science.

PW: to what extent would we be allowed to respec our characters?

Secondly, when would you switch?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:55:51 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11394 on: November 25, 2014, 07:02:34 am »

About the rolling overhaul: probably would be a good idea to define what each increment (+1, +2, +3) corresponds to in terms of qualitative description - such as what exactly a +1 indicates in terms of ability - I'm guessing somebody adept at using a skill? From there, describe a +2, a +3, a +4, a -1 and a -2, hopefully in simple terms.

In any case, probably would be good to put up a chart of examples of things or general principles behind what you can do at particular skill levels.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:04:12 am by Harry Baldman »

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11395 on: November 25, 2014, 07:43:16 am »

On dynamic bonus's

I feel like they might be less necessary in the proposed system. They're so critical in the current system because an overshoot with high bonuses is not just 'added madness', but actively deadly to the team and the user. So being able to get a -1 when above 5 was critical when the situation did not call for excessive, immediate force, especially with amps.

In the new system, dynamic bonus's effectively remove the chance of overshot entirely, BUT if I understand correctly, overshoots should be much less dangerous in general, proportional to the difficulty of the task and mitigated by the bonus of the character. So, in the classic Pyro Amp case, an overshot when attempting something simple, say heating a sphere ball by 60 degrees, might result in double the radius or more heat than expected, but it wouldn't result in the classic 'new star' overshot, especially for a skilled Amp user. The current standard of 'massive explosion that levels a town' would require over-reaching and overshooting. This removes the need for a dynamic bonus, as it adds a different choice with the same effect: reducing the risk of overshot.

With the current system, the choice is 'put your faith in the dice' or 'don't do anything for a turn' (which I agree, is a bad choice. This is part of why I wanted and paid for an instant dynamic bonus with a more interesting downside.) Waste a turn, and you're less likely to get an overshoot or fail catastrophically. Try and be useful every turn, and it will be more dangerous.

The new system presents a choice with the same impact, but without the 'cost' being wasted time for players. Now, you can either stay within your characters abilities, and have even your overshoots be reasonably useful, or you could push the boundaries of your character to get it done better or more completely, but with more risk if you fail or overshoot.

Functionally, these should have roughly the same impact. The 'safe' option may take multiple turns, just like the dyn bonus. But a safe(ish) turn isn't complete inaction, like the current dyn-bonus system.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11396 on: November 25, 2014, 08:48:35 am »

I like the new system personally, it seems to make more sense in my mind
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #11397 on: November 25, 2014, 09:28:16 am »

About the rolling overhaul: probably would be a good idea to define what each increment (+1, +2, +3) corresponds to in terms of qualitative description - such as what exactly a +1 indicates in terms of ability - I'm guessing somebody adept at using a skill? From there, describe a +2, a +3, a +4, a -1 and a -2, hopefully in simple terms.

In any case, probably would be good to put up a chart of examples of things or general principles behind what you can do at particular skill levels.
I believe he stated earlier that he wanted to do that. And I'm wrong less than I'm right.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11398 on: November 25, 2014, 09:53:07 am »

I'm not entirely convinced about the new system, but mostly for selfish reasons. The entire idea behind Pan right now is that he throws 5's 2/3 of the time. More importantly, he cannot throw 1's or anything higher than 5 anymore, which is a huge reassurance for me because I can be fairly sure that the little thing in his brain won't just kill him outright. Though I suppose if skill points start affecting overshoots this point might be moot.

The other problem I may have is that there won't really be as much of a sense of progression in regards to your character's abilities. If we focus on failure for a second here, the current system makes it so that characters we get good at something basically stop making huge fuckups. In the new system it seems that no matter how good a character is on paper, he has just as big of a chance as a complete newbie to just completely bungle his attempt at doing whatever it is he's doing.

What I'm trying to say is: I sort of min-maxed Pan to be decent at amps and now that may cease to be, which concerns me somewhat as everything I've done with him goes towards this one build. I can certainly see a lot of good aspects of the new system though, don't think that I'm radically against it or something.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #11399 on: November 25, 2014, 10:05:56 am »

I don't feel myself caring all that much either way, but if the new system means that we don't artificially stop progressing our main skill like I tried to do (and then accidentally increasing it via timeskip action), that seems improvement enough for me.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 2205