Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2488746 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #10740 on: November 05, 2014, 07:56:08 pm »

I think that one of the most useful things to have is a good scout-eye replacement that is easier to use (and probably less versatile/mobile as a result). Maybe with the automapping functionality as well. I'd pay for something like that.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10741 on: November 05, 2014, 08:08:33 pm »

I think that one of the most useful things to have is a good scout-eye replacement that is easier to use (and probably less versatile/mobile as a result). Maybe with the automapping functionality as well. I'd pay for something like that.
So... my bat drones with collision recognition and autopatrol software?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10742 on: November 05, 2014, 08:11:05 pm »

@Nikitian

Why do you assume the Doctor served a normal HMRC sentence?  VonNost was decapitated, if you don't remember.  Anyways, the stuff with him all took place during and right after the Altered Wars; I'm pretty sure the HMRC was actually formed a few centuries after they ended.

Are you sure?  I know he was executed, but that specific way?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10743 on: November 05, 2014, 08:11:50 pm »

Auron owns the medical spider droid, right?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10744 on: November 05, 2014, 08:20:12 pm »

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Auron has the imaginary pamphlet.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10745 on: November 05, 2014, 08:31:14 pm »

@Harry Baldman
Actually, if implemented the way it is intended (as in, without driving the prices too high), it is a solution to economy of scale and feature-packing, allowing modularity and equipment-tailoring at lesser expense. As of now, installing equipment piecemeal is too expensive to be practical; we are left with either pre-made equipment packs like the Mk series, or impractically expensive hand-assembled 'prototype' things. It is nice for gaining a lot of features at a fraction of their 'normal' price (and a reason why I still mostly prefer feature-packed items to single-trick ones), but only particularly wealthy players can customize their suits and equipment (and in doing so, most of the time it is an economically ineffective waste of tokens).
By design of MACS, special equipment but non-standard equipment is finally made affordable, which is really great. Oh, and I guess it comes with ability to swap equipment tailoring it to missions, which is also cool.

So, (if things go right) it is low- to high-end reasonably priced equipment nobody exactly needs, but many would probably like and enjoy. Complete with a slightly dissatisfying acronym, yes.

Since the MAC suits are so overpriced, why don't you just make a PC suit?
Come to think of it, wouldn't PC suits better confer modularity and open architecture of the new equipment? Or is it about in no way allowing unauthorised tampering with the equipment? :P
Jesting, of course, but with food for thought.

@Sean Does any of the suggested ways of implementation of your system allow altering acquired modules (foregoing the tradeability of the particular item, sure, but with no penalty or increased cost otherwise)? Because that'd be a nice thing, I think.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10746 on: November 05, 2014, 08:45:57 pm »

So, taking a weighted average between these two, it's high-end equipment nobody actually needs or particularly wants. Or even will be able to particularly afford. Complete with an overly bland acronym. Possibly an overdesigned solution for a problem that doesn't exist, too.

At least that's the impression I get from all that. Might be it's a genius invention that everyone will want to get somewhere down the line, but that's the impression I get.

Have you guys thought about focusing more on interesting equipment in the 1-5 token range instead? Particularly in the way of utility-focused equipment, as we don't have much of a selection on that end. That way somebody might, you know, try some of it one day. After all, I'm pretty sure that if you've got tokens in the 10-20 bracket, there's better things to spend them on than a hypothetical MACS.

I'd disagree somewhat about whether anyone would want it- It doesn't lose much over an MK.III, and it does give lots of versatility.  It is superior if you plan on never upgrading to a battlesuit or something.  Just, you have to take a slight initial hit.

And yes, we have a little.  Recently, I was trying to work on cheap grenades.  I've been planning on designing a grounded equivalent to a scout eye, and a improved standard scout eye (Although I highly doubt we can do better for one token).  I also want to make a "silenced" automatic, and a dedicated sniper rifle, which'd be cheap, although that's just because I like making guns.

To be honest, cheap stuff is rare to tinker because we tinker for fun.  Designing something big and powerful is easier, more fun, and allows for way more creativity.  Plus, I don't really know what you guys need in general.  If you want to suggest something though, then by all means do so.

@Nikitian

Why do you assume the Doctor served a normal HMRC sentence?  VonNost was decapitated, if you don't remember.  Anyways, the stuff with him all took place during and right after the Altered Wars; I'm pretty sure the HMRC was actually formed a few centuries after they ended.

Are you sure?  I know he was executed, but that specific way?

...Executed.  That's what I meant to say.  Yeah.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10747 on: November 05, 2014, 09:18:43 pm »

Well, I'm planning for my character to be more kind of a Stealthy/Scout or long distance assistant, so a dedicated sniper rifle certainly wouldn't go amiss for me.
A better Scout eye wouldn't be bad either, perhaps if I upgrade my Aux, though if I did have alright aux I would be happy to get it if it could be in the 3-5 token price range.

Perhaps some kind of Cameye binoculars? They could be some kind of cheaper cameyes with slightly more limited features and the fact it isn't on your face all the time.

For being stealthy having some kind of silenced automatic would be nice, though I remember that with the full auto part and the size of each bullet, the stopping power to a MK1 would be negligible at best, so maybe some kind of semi auto one would do, you know, kind of like the Mattock gun from ME 2 and 3.
You don't have to make these, just some suggestions.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:04:25 pm by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10748 on: November 05, 2014, 09:46:54 pm »

Well if we reverse engineer the spiderbot we could makeroll free scouting droids.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10749 on: November 05, 2014, 09:49:37 pm »

Well, I'm planning for my character to be more kind of a Stealthy/Scout or long distance assistant, so a dedicated sniper rifle certainly wouldn't go amiss for me.
A better Scout eye wouldn't be bad either, perhaps if I upgrade my Aux, though if I did have alright aux I would be happy to get it if it could be in the 3-5 token price range.

Perhaps some kind of Cameye binoculars? They could be some kind of cheaper cameyes with slightly more limited features and the face it isn't on your face all the time.

For being stealthy having some kind of silenced automatic would be nice, though I remember that with the full auto part and the size of each bullet, the stopping power to a MK1 would be negligible at best, so maybe some kind of semi auto one would do, you know, kind of like the Mattock gun from ME 2 and 3.
You don't have to make these, just some suggestions.

Slap a sniper rifle/SMG onto a scouteye with proper recoil handling ability and targetting software. Bam. Long distance cover from the sky, or a cqc-style roomclearing hunk of metal.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10750 on: November 05, 2014, 09:56:44 pm »

Five tokens for an advanced scout eye?  Dude, the problem would be getting it to one.  If I made a five token scout eye, it would come with it's own advanced navigation AI,  electrolaser, self-destruct bomb, and espresso maker.  No aux or handi rolls required.

As for the silenced auto, as I said in the Tinker thread, I'm pretty sure I could make an SMG sized auto that's effective.  I was planning on using 9x39mm bullets as my base, because they have excellent subsonic characteristics- for example, they can penetrate ten millimeters of steel at a distance.  I'm pretty sure MK.I suits can be pierced by a good knife wielded by a strong arm, so they probably aren't equivalent to eleven millimeters of steel.

Of course, as I said before, they wouldn't be very effective against modern armor, which can block 20mm rounds.  That either means that wearing a longcoat is like wearing over an inch of steel, or our gauss rifles fire a strangely short projectile.

...Either way, it's still a stupid idea for anyone aside from Black Ops, because a laser is superior in every way except size, which doesn't really matter in ER.  And Black Ops would probably benefit more from mini-PSL weapons anyway, since that ammo is way more size efficient.

@Pufferfish

"Proper recoil handling ability"

Your 'scout eye' costs five tokens, and has five minutes of fuel.  For eight tokens, it has unlimited fuel.  Either way, it takes one bullet to destroy it and it's gun, plus it's targetting abilities aren't great.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10751 on: November 05, 2014, 10:02:14 pm »

Any way we could get something like this?

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10752 on: November 05, 2014, 10:17:21 pm »

Actually, that wouldn't be too bad.
Though the sniper rifle would be like 7-8 tokens at least.

@Syvarris:
Honestly, for a scout eye the minimum I would be happy with would be the ability to not be killed by a stiff breeze, some kind of camouflage, basic AI, perhaps some kind of tagging software?(Though that would probably require some kind of modification to my suit.)
How much would you assume that would be?

And on the topic of lasers... True, really, though if anything I would like better mobility and that would be about it, though... Actually, what does PSL mean, exactly?
I was thinking if you could make some kind of automanip that could silence stuff in a small radius, though considering the price most automanips are at, it would probably way too expensive for its use.
Alan help.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10753 on: November 05, 2014, 10:28:20 pm »

Pffft, just by one of my batcopters and a geckobot. They are like 1 token each.

Use handi to merge them together and aux to give it some autonomous pathfinding ability and viola, perfect replacement that meets all your needs and can run around in vacuum.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10754 on: November 05, 2014, 10:36:34 pm »

Ummm, could you link me to those items, I can't see them on the wiki, and I think I should add those to the armoury page.
Alan help.
Pages: 1 ... 715 716 [717] 718 719 ... 2205