Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2492844 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #9375 on: September 25, 2014, 05:43:52 pm »

Hello mister angry gun-wall! How are you going to kill us today?
Flame the dark true salts.

////Warning srs bsnss below////
So, are we going to run a death pool for 18?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: September 25, 2014, 05:44:15 pm »

Define death pool.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9377 on: September 25, 2014, 05:50:27 pm »

Who dies first.
How many people die exactly.

That sort of things. Tokens are bet, mostly to be lost; on the rare chance someone guesses right, they come back multiplied.
The old HMRC death pool, as maintained by Steve. Not sure how this game is played nowadays, however.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #9378 on: September 25, 2014, 06:42:40 pm »

Obviously newbies (<2 missions) should get a smaller multiplier and veterans (>~6 missions) a larger. But you have to bet either before the mission starts or at least before any serious action or death occurs.

How about 3x standard, 2x for newbies, 5x for veterans? With something like x2 for betting a low number of deaths (<3 deaths) and x5 for higher (>2 deaths)?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: September 26, 2014, 03:55:26 am »

@ Sean: nice work. It was kinda hard at first to see what was happening, but the title helped decipher it.

New research project for Hephaestus, once Pyro gets resurrected!  A special paint job for our equipment that can be shocked to switch between Paris' masterwork, and the standard bloodstains metallic gray.  Whenever you're seperated from allies, turn it on and hurt anyone who tries to shoot you!

Maybe if I can write a progam that automatically detects the image and alters the feed, we could just leave it on all the time.

If Pyro doesn't restart Hep himself sometime soon, I'm just gonna ask pw to start running actions again. Can't keep that thread frozen forever.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9380 on: September 26, 2014, 03:56:00 am »

hopefully
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9381 on: September 26, 2014, 04:04:00 am »

Thanks for taking care of me (and my sheet) guys. That means a lot to me. :'(
...Do we know what M18 is all about? :x
I would really like to spend my 15 tokens on something useful.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:05:47 am by Tiruin »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #9382 on: September 26, 2014, 04:11:58 am »

I could lend you 5 tokens so you'll have 20 and you could buy a perfect conventional decompensator.
http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Decompensator
Or you could buy some of that Armour Milno created
http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Armory#Misc -> Search Milno-Plate

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9383 on: September 26, 2014, 04:15:07 am »

I could lend you 5 tokens so you'll have 20 and you could buy a perfect conventional decompensator.
http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Decompensator
Or you could buy some of that Armour Milno created
http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Armory#Misc -> Search Milno-Plate
Bluhh...look at that new and expanded armory!
There should be a note in PW's original ER thread about that :s
And thanks! (query still exists though :x It's...well, for me, not that clear about the difference on the 10/20 token decomps)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9384 on: September 26, 2014, 04:16:26 am »

10 token ones take an overshoot down to 5 1/3 of the time, the 20 token ones do it every time.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9385 on: September 26, 2014, 04:18:44 am »

Obviously newbies (<2 missions) should get a smaller multiplier and veterans (>~6 missions) a larger. But you have to bet either before the mission starts or at least before any serious action or death occurs.

How about 3x standard, 2x for newbies, 5x for veterans? With something like x2 for betting a low number of deaths (<3 deaths) and x5 for higher (>2 deaths)?
Honestly, given how random and unpredictable the nature of missions is, I believe that multiplier should be quite high for guessing. Perhaps up to (N-1)x for guessing the first death, where N is the number of characters on the mission (or, say, N/2 rounded up, or something similarly large).
I don't understand, do you suggest lower death multipliers for betting on newbie death, or for newbies betting in this game? First approach seems nice, but, perhaps, should scale with mission team size, as above.

As for number of deaths, not sure, as missions can be quite deadly. I'd rather reward being more precise, such as N/2 for guessing the exact amount of deaths, N/3 for guessing within margin of one, etc.
Betting on injuries can be done in similar manner.

There is also the traditional prohibition of betting on 'no deaths', which we should probably keep for the sake of tradition.
Finally, I think there should be allowed betting on specific health status of particular characters, with the obvious exclusion of 'uninjured'. Perhaps, N/3 for winning a specific bet (loses both his legs, gets her brain squashed => permadeath, etc.) and N/4 for a more loose one (dies revivably, loses a limb, etc.).
What do you say?

@Tiruin Welcome back! :) Well, there supposed to be something supernatural of the name 'Eater of Cold' which you are to investigate, so I would suggest treating it as a standard HMRC mission of going to hazardous somewhere, dealing with it (being armed slightly suggested, but not exactly heavily required, just a couple of characters would be enough), capturing something glowing and useful, and getting out of there in one piece. Like M1, M3, M6, etc.
Oh, and if thinking of armor, buying a protectorate suit (10 tokens, as I asked a few years ago) might be a better idea, as it is cheaper, equally protective, and would not slow you down like full Milno-plate.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #9386 on: September 26, 2014, 04:35:49 am »

@Nikitian: Yeah, probably. I was just trying to keep it simple. With low number of deaths, I meant if someone bet that there will be 2 deaths, then they'll get 2x returns, so that nobody can take many bets at low number of deaths at once and turn a certain profit.

@Tiruin: Quick check of your stats does shows you're missing 3 skill points. Let me confirm this...
Yes, checking the subforum with my thread downloader confirms you have not levelled up for mission 12. Last level up before mission 14 was for mission 10. EDIT: No, wait, mission 11. Last level up was mission 11.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:47:57 am by Parisbre56 »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9387 on: September 26, 2014, 05:04:43 am »

Then we only need to refine the rewards, preferably with an ordained mathematician/statistician's help (come on, there is bound to be one among us here!), and ask Steve to accept the new system.  :)

Reading the M18 thread: Ohhh, why do I start to get the all-too-familiar gung-ho feeling of M5 here...
... My first death bet would be on the guide, as the only civilian in the area. Followed by the second bet on totally screwing the mission objective.
My, Gorat was absolutely right in his pessimism, at least regarding this mission...
Past Sigs

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #9388 on: September 26, 2014, 05:39:00 am »

Completely irrelevant, but reading back I noticed this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108083.msg4602231#msg4602231
I still want to see Morul try that with his void suit.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9389 on: September 26, 2014, 05:51:46 am »

Look at Gilgamesh to see if it has the same effect on me. Then ask Steve for something that can cover up Gilgamesh that doesn't permanently cover up his terrifying paintjob (like an easy to wash of paint).
((Easy to wash paint on a planet where wasting water is one of the greatest faux pass you can make?))
((Considering what you'll be wasting it on, I think anyone who witnesses you doing so won't be in the right state of mind to complain about it.))
Behold my magical trick! By power of Adam Selene the all-present, I pour this water over my battlesuit steed and turn said water into... pure terror!
Past Sigs
Pages: 1 ... 624 625 [626] 627 628 ... 2205