Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2489913 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #7395 on: July 23, 2014, 09:23:39 am »

The worse your crime is, the less likely the punishment might be permadeath; We've never killed someone for actual premeditated murder. I know this is horribly inaccurate and not something to rely on- but it's entertaining that the stats support it.

Yeah, I mean, look at Stacy or Xan, both accomplished mass murderers and dangers to society, but people just look at their crimes and go "oh, look at them go, dohohoho!" Cog piledrived poor Floki to death for taking the TV remote, but he had way more missions than him, plus the incident was way too hilarious to punish. Meanwhile, Travis kills a guy who was attacking him with an actual deadly weapon (a Crystalline Projector, if I reckon rightly) in self defense due to an overshot (not even his fault, really, considering he didn't even know that Buckler the Murderdog was so good at murder), at which point Jim decides Buckler is way OP and tries to kill him, doesn't too much of a quality job, at which point hostilities escalate and Simus gets half blown up as collateral damage.

It's not the crime that's being punished, strictly speaking, it's how insufferably you go about it. If you hilariously murder a guy nobody cares about over a TV remote and spawn a good story to tell, good on you. If you happen to kill a person nobody cares about in self defense and then act paranoid and hostile about it, you're going down.

So, as long as Lerman keeps a stiff upper lip, pinky-swears never to misbehave again (in a charming and seemingly sincere manner, preferably) and lets the reality that Kyle's guts exploding into bits was actually kind of funny, that he fell victim to unpredictable circumstance first and foremost and that D'usse had a good one liner out of the experience sink in, he should be pretty much off the hook. Though maybe not anymore now that the principle's been explained. But who knows!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7396 on: July 23, 2014, 09:45:33 am »

Of course, Stacy was also very, very lucky when he showed Jim the madness picture (not that it existed). He could have easily turned into a smear in the wall in the aftermath.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: July 23, 2014, 10:06:41 am »

The worse your crime is, the less likely the punishment might be permadeath; We've never killed someone for actual premeditated murder. I know this is horribly inaccurate and not something to rely on- but it's entertaining that the stats support it.

Yeah, I mean, look at Stacy or Xan, both accomplished mass murderers and dangers to society, but people just look at their crimes and go "oh, look at them go, dohohoho!" Cog piledrived poor Floki to death for taking the TV remote, but he had way more missions than him, plus the incident was way too hilarious to punish. Meanwhile, Travis kills a guy who was attacking him with an actual deadly weapon (a Crystalline Projector, if I reckon rightly) in self defense due to an overshot (not even his fault, really, considering he didn't even know that Buckler the Murderdog was so good at murder), at which point Jim decides Buckler is way OP and tries to kill him, doesn't too much of a quality job, at which point hostilities escalate and Simus gets half blown up as collateral damage.

It's not the crime that's being punished, strictly speaking, it's how insufferably you go about it. If you hilariously murder a guy nobody cares about over a TV remote and spawn a good story to tell, good on you. If you happen to kill a person nobody cares about in self defense and then act paranoid and hostile about it, you're going down.

So, as long as Lerman keeps a stiff upper lip, pinky-swears never to misbehave again (in a charming and seemingly sincere manner, preferably) and lets the reality that Kyle's guts exploding into bits was actually kind of funny, that he fell victim to unpredictable circumstance first and foremost and that D'usse had a good one liner out of the experience sink in, he should be pretty much off the hook. Though maybe not anymore now that the principle's been explained. But who knows!
I think the disparity between those examples might have something to do with the fact that I complained OOCly about what happened to Travis... heh. ;)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7398 on: July 23, 2014, 11:56:39 am »

It might be the fact that until Mission 10, Steve was responsible for everything that happened. So, you blow up an entire planet? Shocked by Steve. You accidentally kill 10 teammates? Maybe shocked by Steve. Intentionally kill a teammate and Jim finds out? You're dead or at least severely punished.

Now Miyamoto and the rest are generals. If something bad happens, they are at least partly responsible. So it is their responsibility to take care of insubordination and incompetence. What's worse, we're military now. One inmate killing another on purpose is one thing. One soldier killing another soldier (or even worse a superior) on purpose and wrecking a mission is another.

Despite the above, I think that smurfington would had received no punishment at all if he hadn't disobeyed orders and kept firing the thing after he stopped being mind-controlled. The guy who threw the nuke in Hephaestus wasn't punished because he was mind-controlled at the time.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: July 23, 2014, 12:07:54 pm »

Didn't the saboteur get locked up for that incident? Or am I thinking of a different occasion?
I hadn't been following the game when all that went on, so I wouldn't know. I just know there's some guy imprisoned on Hephaestus (first time I've typed that, I'm pretty sure) for trying to blow stuff up.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7400 on: July 23, 2014, 12:23:09 pm »

That was a different nuke, and he was prevented from detonation.  But yes, he's locked up, and corrective brain surgery is on the table as an option, last I heard.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: July 23, 2014, 12:33:18 pm »

That was a different nuke, and he was prevented from detonation.  But yes, he's locked up, and corrective brain surgery is on the table as an option, last I heard.
O_O

This is what happens when you put Simus in control of a planet.
Booze is Life for Yoink

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: July 23, 2014, 01:35:24 pm »

Also, he's an NPC now due to his player not playing anymore, so different rules and all that.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: July 23, 2014, 03:22:34 pm »

Hey now, killing Floki(?) was an accident. Also, he hit me with a cleaver first.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: July 23, 2014, 03:30:27 pm »

How about making a version of the MK3 suit that keeps a set of combat and exploration data of its user so that it may adequately simulate their behavior in the event of their death on a mission? They wouldn't speak or anything, naturally, only move around and act as if they weren't dead at all. Or maybe not even the user's data, but sort of a sod combat protocol, where it begins, using the user's dead brain as wetware to supplement other processing systems, to act like a sod after the user dies (or is rendered unconscious by teammates or Steve via zapping).
My god this is perfect. Probably not useful, since most people's behavior would be to attempt to fashion crude things out of wreckage or open doors with mindless curiosity, but still.

"ARM: No, you don't get to stop on death."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: July 23, 2014, 04:34:09 pm »

You guys are forgetting a detail about the whole Travis thing. Namely that, while (anailater's character whose name I can't remember, Bruce maybe) may have been planning to kill Travis OOC (and while there's an 80% likelihood he was going to try it, it never happened... and I would have done the same thing to him if he had pulled it off), IC all anyone saw was someone touch Travis and ask him to talk and he responded by telling his robot to blow the dude's head off. He then proceeded to act more and more paranoid about everyone until it was obvious to several people - not just me, Cael and Pyro at least agreed (may have been more, but it was like a year or two ago or something, it's been awhile and my memory isn't THAT good) - that he was going to have to have something done about him.

Also Kisame's dude killing the other dude (Yoink's character?) was the result of a roll, not a stated murder like the previous. That's my main sticking point. If two characters are fighting and one of them happens to get a roll that kills the other one, well, that sucks, but it's not like that was the intention. It's only when people intentionally try to screw each other over that I feel it's worth giving a damn about.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: July 23, 2014, 04:44:04 pm »

How much damage has faith suffered so far this mission?

Edit: oh god, kisamed figured out my plan.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:47:10 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: July 23, 2014, 04:49:47 pm »

We don't know. The fall and shockwave probably did something, but she wasn't really damaged at all prior. Hurled off a building and into an air conditioning unit was the only trauma she'd experienced, I believe, and for synthflesh that's not terribly noteworthy.

EDIT: I just realized the irony of the mind-infestor getting the amp body while the body puppet gets the berserk mode club-wielder.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:54:01 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: July 23, 2014, 05:48:13 pm »

((I finally finished reading all missions and this thread. Game is great and insanity is true to bay12.

I really admire how piecewise can hide gamemechanic information into his posts, but it's even more impressive that no one seems to make any use of it...))

Aww cute, another one!

You have to remember though, that there are several reasons why we wouldn't use that kinds info. For example, keeping OOC and IC knowledge separate to prevent meta.

But hey, tell me, what kinds of 'gamemechanic information' we have missed, with examples and links to the relevant posts if possible.

Despite the above, I think that smurfington would had received no punishment at all if he hadn't disobeyed orders and kept firing the thing after he stopped being mind-controlled. The guy who threw the nuke in Hephaestus wasn't punished because he was mind-controlled at the time.

Well, I might've been more lenient despite the continued idiocy if he hadn't been annoying about it OOC. Or if he had even offered the slightest apology to the players his character kicked out of the mission.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:54:17 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: July 23, 2014, 05:49:58 pm »

For totally legit reasons.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 2205