Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2489928 times)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #7380 on: July 22, 2014, 10:43:18 pm »

Well, at least I can punch a wall to get the hell out of a situation!
Or to get into one. You could be like the futuristic Kool-aid man.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7381 on: July 22, 2014, 11:09:22 pm »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7382 on: July 23, 2014, 02:08:08 am »

Since you won't ruin the surprise, will you at least tell me if you're killing him or not? I would like Lerman to say a few words, if the former is the case.

It wouldn't really be fair to kill Lerman, since he was mind controlled; I highly doubt Radio would do so.  Hell, I doubt he would permakill Lerman even if he hadn't been MC'd- we've had plenty of intentional murders, most of which went basically unpunished.  Sure, death is the most common punishment for minor infractions, but the punishments for murder are typically closer to a time-out.

Travis.

If it comes down to shooting our allies, never aim for the head. Aim to maim, disable or disorient, in ascending order of priority. Feyri said as she lifted the Rotary and readied her other gun.

May want to amend that for the sake of our robotic and synthflesh-bodied allies, whose brains are in their chests, but for whom a shot to the head disables their primary (only, for the synthflesh?) cameras.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:11:13 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7383 on: July 23, 2014, 02:22:13 am »

"Never aim for the brain" would probably be a good summation.

And when in doubt, aim to bisect at the waist. As long as nobody has the bright idea to put their brain into their butt, it's going to work as a fairly effective first step.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: July 23, 2014, 04:13:33 am »

Oh it's over the knuckles? Man I thought the whole glove worked such that it increased the force put out by the whole thing. Which is why I was gonna brick-throw.
Common misconception. Somebody should really make an illustrated guide to basic ARM weaponry sometime, even if R&D is working hard on making the current lineup obsolete.
/me raises hand.

Willing to do an illustrated guide here.

It might be nice to have this sort of thing actually as an in-game thing on the ship.

I mean it would be like a book in-game, but to see what's in the book you go look at a page on the wiki or something.

An "illustrated guide to ARM weaponry" book thing that was assumed to be lying around the rec room or something would be pretty awesome.

"Never aim for the brain" would probably be a good summation.

And when in doubt, aim to bisect at the waist. As long as nobody has the bright idea to put their brain into their butt, it's going to work as a fairly effective first step.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7385 on: July 23, 2014, 05:11:25 am »

Ive said it before and ill say i again, we need braincase ejector seats.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7386 on: July 23, 2014, 05:38:39 am »

I believe one of my more deranged initial Tinker ideas that I never got to try was a Mk2 suit helmet upgrade that would clamp off the user's head and use miniature mounted rockets and the helmet cameras together with a drone AI to get the head to a safe(r) place in an emergency.

Also, *raises hand*. As a resident sketch artist, I feel like I could contribute to any such guidebook project.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7387 on: July 23, 2014, 05:44:02 am »

How about making a version of the MK3 suit that keeps a set of combat and exploration data of its user so that it may adequately simulate their behavior in the event of their death on a mission? They wouldn't speak or anything, naturally, only move around and act as if they weren't dead at all. Or maybe not even the user's data, but sort of a sod combat protocol, where it begins, using the user's dead brain as wetware to supplement other processing systems, to act like a sod after the user dies (or is rendered unconscious by teammates or Steve via zapping).

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7388 on: July 23, 2014, 05:48:21 am »

That would be creepy. +1.
Perhaps able to be easily controlled by still-alive teammates, otherwise we might as well just be sending sods in the first place...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7389 on: July 23, 2014, 05:50:23 am »

That would be creepy. +1.
Perhaps able to be easily controlled by still-alive teammates, otherwise we might as well just be sending sods in the first place...

Well, sods are easily controlled by teammates, hence their appeal. The problem with sending them out from the Sword is that we have a very limited amount of sods, compared to the nigh-infinite amount of idiots we can send instead.

I wonder how much a normal exoskeleton (one calibrated to be exactly the strength of an average human being) costs.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7390 on: July 23, 2014, 05:53:10 am »

Zombie functions are a feature of the RT series support units, though perhaps it's not inconceivable that something similar could be done for a biped robot body, or an exoskeleton. Not inconceivable, but likely far from useful.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7391 on: July 23, 2014, 08:21:13 am »

Oh it's over the knuckles? Man I thought the whole glove worked such that it increased the force put out by the whole thing. Which is why I was gonna brick-throw.
Common misconception. Somebody should really make an illustrated guide to basic ARM weaponry sometime, even if R&D is working hard on making the current lineup obsolete.

I'd love to see this; I can just see it made up to look like those airline safety brochures.

Or this:

You head to the armory and ask the armory master for a manual for the laser rifle. She digs around under her desk for a minute before handing you a small, rather cheap looking paper booklet. On the front of the booklet is an anthropomorphized Laser rifle with a giant smile and army helmet flashing you a salute. The title reads "Mr. Zappy". You look at the armory master with a raised eyebrow and she shrugs back at you.

"It's army standard. You know how they are these days...or maybe you don't, stasis and all."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7392 on: July 23, 2014, 08:52:41 am »

Travis.

...Was the only case of murder being punished by death.  And he didn't even commit murder- it was self-defense.

The worse your crime is, the less likely the punishment might be permadeath; We've never killed someone for actual premeditated murder.  I know this is horribly inaccurate and not something to rely on- but it's entertaining that the stats support it.

An ejector  'seat' would probably be going too far, but something simple which would physically sever the braincase's connections to the body might be a good idea.  Especially if we can maintain puppeting functionality.

Zombie functions are a feature of the RT series support units, though perhaps it's not inconceivable that something similar could be done for a biped robot body, or an exoskeleton. Not inconceivable, but likely far from useful.

Something similar to that whole idea was one of my original plans with Saint.  Literal zombie functions, mostly limited to using an exoskeleton or robobody whose operator is dead to drag them back home, or to fire weapons at designated targets.  It's mostly fallen by the wayside at this point, since I have so experimenting to do.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7393 on: July 23, 2014, 08:59:31 am »

I'd describe this sled we're boostin' as a truck, personally.
Although maybe Jobasio would call it a "lorry" to keep up his foppish speech pattern... nah, truck it is. It is a truck. Lorry just sounds too painfully ridiculous, even safely inside my head. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7394 on: July 23, 2014, 09:02:15 am »

Lorry is reserved for the UK anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 2205