Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2495611 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #6480 on: June 23, 2014, 02:59:28 am »

-why would the tanks be 'lumbering'? If ER tech is good enough to gave multi-ton legged vehicles with acceptable speed and agility, wouldn't conventional tech also increase to the point you have a speedy, agile tank?

Multi-ton legged vehicles have the advantage of being legged. Synthflesh and advanced myomers don't add much to the mobility of a wheeled or tracked vehicle, so the specific tech advances required for one will not benefit the other. Plus for all the mobility of a tank, it's not exactly the right kind of mobility - if you will, it's the mobility of a dragster versus the mobility of a sedan - good in a straight line, harder to turn. A battlesuit or synthflesh soldier under fire can duck and weave, can use cover and throw off the enemy's aim - for what it's worth. A tank is just a big armored target.

As for the other points, well, yes. Tanks are woefully out of place on these battlefields. Thing is, a single tank, no matter how large or well-armored, is not much of a threat given space magic. A large group of tanks, such as what you would have in an open-field conflict, is best taken care of via fission instigator, or orbital bombardment. Unlike the real-life battlefield, in ER-verse the tactical strengths of the tank are rapidly sapped by the existence of weapon systems that make large-scale conflict pointless, and in small scale make conventional armor useless.

Conventional aircraft might still have a place, but they are largely replaced by suborbital shuttlecraft. Dedicated combat aircraft lose all semblance of practicality when anti-tank combat lasers are commonplace - they need to carry all the same armor that a tank does to stay protected. At that point they pretty much have to replace tanks as well - you might just put treads on a combat shuttle and call it a night.

edit: ninja'd.

For the most part, I primarily don't expect us to ever have to fight battles where tanks could be a worthwhile investment. Not against the UWM, at least, and certainly not against whatever anomalies we might be rounding up - where "get the fuck away" is the best defense.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: June 23, 2014, 03:20:38 am »

Tanks can have a lot more armor than the piddly little combat suits. I mean good, advanced armor, like electromagnetic reactive armour, none of those giant slabs of metal here. They'd would've been useful in the battle of Heph, let me tell you.

Also, battlesuits and even Avatars of War are equally obsoleted by space magic.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6482 on: June 23, 2014, 03:40:14 am »

Make hovertanks and synthfleshTitan tanks with hexsand spaceship armour. Problems solved.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: June 23, 2014, 06:00:52 am »

((Will probably be last post on the matter for a while, still exams and such))

Synthflesh and advanced myomers don't add much to the mobility of a wheeled or tracked vehicle, so the specific tech advances required for one will not benefit the other.
-Sure, but do you really think that in ER verse there could have been such big advancements in legged locomotion systems, while traditional tracked vehicles are 'topped out' and unable to advance/improve? I'd think that, using ER tech, you can have a tracked vehicle with the armor and firepower of a heavy tank but the mobility of 'dragster' and the mobility of a sedan.

-using synthflesh for anything automatically makes anything hella expensive. Remember that the synthflesh things (and lots of other stuff really) from the armory are underpriced for game balance issues (consider that for 60 tokens you can have 3 battlesuits, or 2 Avatars. Even though 1 Avatar could kick the crap out of half a dozen battlesuits).

it's not exactly the right kind of mobility - if you will, it's the mobility of a dragster versus the mobility of a sedan - good in a straight line, harder to turn.
-Mostly an issue at short top medium range. Even then, I maintain that 'dodging' shots at anything but long range isn't very realistic/reliable, and at long range that lack of sideways speed matters much less (you can still weave about).
Oh, and you want a dodging tank? Take the jump rocket thing the battlesuit uses, which can hurl a battlesuit several meters (don't remember how much exactly). Put several similar, smaller but more powerful rockets to the underside (and maybe on the side as well) of the tank, have a computer help with the reaction speed needed, and blam: rocket-dodging tank  :P

A battlesuit or synthflesh soldier under fire can duck and weave, can use cover and throw off the enemy's aim - for what it's worth.
-Again, go get a friend with decent aim, have him throw tennisballs at you. See how long you can dodge without throwing yourself to the ground. And now try to aim back at that friend.

A tank is just a big armored target.
-And a battlesuit is just a big armored target on legs. Consider that a battlesuit is about 3 meters tall, while an Abrams tank is only 2.4m (which we could cut down to 2m in ER I think), meaning the tank would have more potential cover. You could have a tank about the same width of a battlesuit, and it'd only need to be about 1-2m longer/deeper.

Note that in a tank, a lot of space is lost due to crew needing space. If we make our tanks controlled by sod brains in braincases (like a robobody) you can save a huge amount of space.

As for the other points, well, yes. Tanks are woefully out of place on these battlefields.  A large group of tanks, such as what you would have in an open-field conflict, is best taken care of via fission instigator, or orbital bombardment. Unlike the real-life battlefield, in ER-verse the tactical strengths of the tank are rapidly sapped by the existence of weapon systems that make large-scale conflict pointless, and in small scale make conventional armor useless.

-Do you really think all of ARM (not just us on the Sword) will never get into a situation where tanks could be useful? That every battle we will fight will be close range?
Secondly, you assume that using WMD's will always be an option. What it they're not? What if the possible collateral would be too great? Unless you suggest nuking everything everywhere will always be an option.

Also, have you considered systems that defeat projectile artillery like nukes and fission instigators? Say, a tracked vehicle with a long range laser and high grade targetting/imaging equipment. Boom, active laser defense against nukes, LESHO and fission instigators. Or a system with low yield nukes with LESHO-like launchers that detonate when near the offending projectile. Again, boom.
Of course, if they have orbital bombardment capabilities and are willing to use it we're doomed. But no matter what we do, if they have orbital bombardment capabilities and are willing to use it there's not a lot to do about it anyway except hide and pray.

Thing is, a single tank, no matter how large or well-armored, is not much of a threat given space magic.
-By that same logic, battlesuits are useless due to space magic. Secondly, sods (neither ours nor theirs) can use space magic, and we know the UWM makes use of sods a lot. And I am talking about the bigger picture here, not just our missions, and we can't give our sods space magic. Also, a tank should be as small as practically possible, not bigger.

Conventional aircraft might still have a place, but they are largely replaced by suborbital shuttlecraft. Dedicated combat aircraft lose all semblance of practicality when anti-tank combat lasers are commonplace - they need to carry all the same armor that a tank does to stay protected. At that point they pretty much have to replace tanks as well - you might just put treads on a combat shuttle and call it a night.
-Not efficient. Why use suborbital shuttlecraft when a regular flying vehicle will do? Why go suborbital when close-range is all that's needed? Now you're just wasting resources. Also, stuff like this wouldn't be the first to go in, they provide quick support (e.g. strafing run) to infantry where called upon. Quick in, obliterate with heavier weapons than an infantry man could carry, back away.

For the most part, I primarily don't expect us to ever have to fight battles where tanks could be a worthwhile investment. Not against the UWM, at least, and certainly not against whatever anomalies we might be rounding up - where "get the fuck away" is the best defense.
-That's just speculation though, not based on data. This was what I was going to ask PW/Steve, whether he thinks there will be times where tank support is useful. But since pw has a habit of giving less complete answers the longer the questions become (which I don't blame him for), I am doing it in small parts. So yeah, we'll see what the gm says.

A challenge for you: say you need to capture a base intact, so nuking of orbital bombardment isn't an option. It has very good anti-air coverage, so no hotdropping in. How do you crack that nut using short-to-medium ranged weapon systems?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:08:49 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: June 23, 2014, 06:00:52 am »

You think piecewise will let me take a shuttle down to prospect for salvageable meta-materials when its time to pick up the Stan-9 survivors?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6485 on: June 23, 2014, 06:54:25 am »

You think piecewise will let me take a shuttle down to prospect for salvageable meta-materials when its time to pick up the Stan-9 survivors?
I'm certain that someone can be persuaded to bring you back some radioactive snow if you want it that badly.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: June 23, 2014, 06:56:12 am »

There's probably some trinitite.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6487 on: June 23, 2014, 07:03:49 am »

Doesn't trinitite require sand?

Also, I don't understand why the snow is nuclear. Is it from the ship's reactor getting hit or was the shell nuclear?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: June 23, 2014, 07:17:46 am »

I was thinking more along the lines of charred hull fragments and lumps of semi molten metal that were thrown out by the blast wave.

What i dont understand is how there even is snow to irradiate, should not the thermal release from the impact have turned it into a massive cloud of steam and/or formed a shallow lake?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6489 on: June 23, 2014, 07:33:16 am »

If it was the ship's reactor that was hit, then the radioactive fallout would spread in the surrounding area and land on any snow that was left in the surrounding area. After all, there's still snow around. It's not like the entire ice cap was eradicated.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: June 23, 2014, 07:40:21 am »

Hey, RC, hpw about using tanks as mobile artillery/rocket platforms? It would add a bit of medium-level long-range ordinance to our arsenal, as well as counteract some of the negatives of tanls simply due to range.

Also, when combined with a network of closer-range MBT/scout tanks, they could collect spotting and location data from the close-up tanks (and maybe even footsoldiers/players) and use the data to help ensure more accurate fire.

On that note, scout tanks would be cool, if possibly pointless in these contexts. I mean, I would buy one if my character had the tokens.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: June 23, 2014, 08:39:30 am »

<snippity>
Well... as far as combined armor warfare goes, I agree that there will always be a use for a large armored weapon carrier. Do note that I didn't say tanks were completely useless - just in context of ARM's use of them, as their operational niche is vanishingly small. But once you start addressing the tank's various weaknesses (like mobility) you eventually end up having something that is no longer a tank. Capable of small hops or short sustained flight, controlled by a brainbox or by remote, armored on all sides and compacted to do urban combat - you effectively end up with a self-propelled weapon carrier drone. The tank that will work for ARM's purposes is as much a tank as my Black Death "cannon with engines" is a fighter craft.

A challenge for you: say you need to capture a base intact, so nuking of orbital bombardment isn't an option. It has very good anti-air coverage, so no hotdropping in. How do you crack that nut using short-to-medium ranged weapon systems?
TBM. :P

More seriously, it depends on lots of things. If the base is surrounded by flat open terrain, or is an island in the middle of a, say, volcanic lake, then a series of custom GEVs with heavy forward armor zerging the defenses will work best. If it's flat terrain without atmosphere, just plain torpedo the place with assault pods rocketing along the ground. If it's on top of a mountain, or embedded in a mountain, probably battlesuits, spidertanks, or terror drone swarm. There is hardly any situation in my mind that involves anything like the classic main battle tank as the solution, because it's one of the worst things you could use to attack a heavily defended position. Especially because they won't have qualms about nuking you, if they have the ability to.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: June 23, 2014, 08:41:34 am »

Thing is, a single tank, no matter how large or well-armored, is not much of a threat given space magic.
By that same logic, battlesuits are useless due to space magic.

I just want to emphasize this point. On the defense mission, I, a complete newbie (albeit one geared for amp use) took out two battlesuits in two turns. Don't discount combat vehicles just because a space magic user can disable them.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: June 23, 2014, 09:54:00 am »

That argument has been going on for too long, and I'm too tired, to hunt particular quotes to respond to.  Rather, I'll just give my general thoughts on it.  Also spoiler, because people like that.

Spoiler: Tanks Vs Battlesuits (click to show/hide)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: June 23, 2014, 10:23:07 am »

In case of doubts about efficiency, people could try VR simulations to design and test armored vehicles and check a VR-fied GM opinion on the matter. That'd probably be of assistance.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 2205