Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2495942 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #6375 on: June 19, 2014, 08:05:02 pm »

inb4 the APC comes crashing back to earth and crushes someone next turn. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: June 19, 2014, 08:06:59 pm »

If the shockwave was enough to do that to the apc, imagine what it did to us =P
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: June 19, 2014, 08:13:05 pm »

So, unrelated to the current APC launching but... since this takes place in the futury area and the prisoner run radio is the plug.dj thing does that mean that the people running the radio all like older music of various types?

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: June 19, 2014, 08:16:02 pm »

Soooo, which APC was this? Did you guys just total Jack's APC? Or are we going to say as long as *one* of them makes it back, Tavik is getting his APC back? :P

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: June 19, 2014, 08:17:45 pm »

There, I believe my edit covers all scenarios =P And we destroyed the only APC we brought on the mission with us

Edit: The door still works? =P There's that at least =3
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: June 19, 2014, 08:21:36 pm »

Well, the door worked when we got out of it...
Booze is Life for Yoink

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: June 19, 2014, 08:22:11 pm »

There, I believe my edit covers all scenarios =P And we destroyed the only APC we brought on the mission with us

Edit: The door still works? =P There's that at least =3

You had a APC. Mission 14 had a different APC. One of them was Tavik's APC, and one of them was an APC that PW gave to that team. Because Tavik switched which team he was giving it to at some point and PW missed it :P

Sooooo, who had Tavik's?

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6382 on: June 19, 2014, 08:23:45 pm »

So, unrelated to the current APC launching but... since this takes place in the futury area and the prisoner run radio is the plug.dj thing does that mean that the people running the radio all like older music of various types?

Don't start questioning it, or else we've have to start bringing up how they can even understand the lyrics, with 2000 years of linguistic evolution. If your local radio station started playing Ancient Greek or Babylonian music, how well would you understand it? :P
Though Latin might be a better example, seeing as the Romans were a bigger civilization and left records of their language behind... Not that most people could understand that, either.

The mission 14 APC is Tavik's. The mission 15 APC was just given to them because Tavik changed his mind at the last minute and PW didn't notice until after he'd given 15 an APC. It works out well for him, though. Assuming Kano's SWAT don't have RPGs or something. :P

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: June 19, 2014, 08:28:57 pm »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure both APC's were just doomed :P
PW saw some shiny targets and decided they needed to go boom!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: June 19, 2014, 08:37:10 pm »

The APC served us well. Personally I hope it survives, so I can take the nice, cozy 'driver' role more often in future. >.>
Also I can give it a name and some archaic, fancy clothing.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: June 19, 2014, 09:02:47 pm »

It's mostly just the axel that got fucked up? Isn't that fixable?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: June 19, 2014, 09:03:44 pm »

Not really, no.  Not in the field.  The equivalent would probably be temp-dead.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: June 19, 2014, 09:05:46 pm »

Well, not fixable with their current gear. If the axel just snapped, they could weld it back together and limp back to camp, but with their current situation, I believe they're up shit creek, and the only paddle they had broke.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: June 19, 2014, 09:13:11 pm »

I still think you're underestimating the situation.

I'm mostly going on this:
When the APC comes to a stop, Mike is unconscious, laying in a corner, broken seatbelt still around his waist and chest. Vincent unbluckles himself is crouching over Mike, checking if he's even still alive, when someone bangs on the side of the apc and the faint words "RUN FOR IT!" can just be heard over the roar of the storm outside. Vincent half groans, half screams out of frustration and picks up the body of his unconscious teammate, throwing the man over his shoulder. He hits the open button on the back door and squeezes through as soon as it has struggled open enough for him to get out. Even though he's only maybe 15 seconds behind Jobasio, no more then a hundred feet away, he can't see him or anything for that matter. Everything is swirling nothing. A world made of white noise. He sets off, away from the light.

After only fifteen seconds, you completely lost visual contact.

And this:
Mesk cuts some of the power from the rockets and levels off into a straight horizontal flight. The countdown over the radio continues, getting ever closer to zero. When the timer finally runs out, the announcement changes.

>Payload away. Directional thrusters engaged. Matching calculated trajectory. Time till impact estimated at 238 seconds. All ground units, continue egress.

If Mesk's action started chronologically at the same time as yours, you've been walking for nearly five minutes (remember, the previous countdown was a full minute.)

Since you were covered in that much snow, I'm guessing you got tossed around and knocked over at least a little.  Not to mention whatever turning you'll have to do to escape.  I would be amazed if your character could even guess the general direction you were walking, let alone the specific direction that will bring you within fifteen second's walk of a half buried APC, after walking for five minutes.

Even if you have perfect recall of the direction once you dig yourself out, I specifically remember PW saying directly during the samsonite abyss mission that he knows a person is incapable of walking a straight line when they can't see.  And that was in reference to finding their own way back to a extremely long line, not a specific spot.

Beyond all this: What advantage do you hope to gain by getting into the APC?  You're in a suit which protects from the cold vacuum of space.  Heat isn't a problem.  Food could be, but I doubt the storm will last for days.  If the APC has a stronger signal than your suits, you could probably use that to find it easier.

Oh come on, haven't you read the novel-length threads?  It's common knowledge that all HMRC inmates happen to be extreme ancient history buffs.  Elizas was especially nerdy about it, gleefully matching classic heroes of ancient antiquity against each other in fights.

Don't start questioning it, or else we've have to start bringing up how they can even understand the lyrics, with 2000 years of linguistic evolution. If your local radio station started playing Ancient Greek or Babylonian music, how well would you understand it? :P
Though Latin might be a better example, seeing as the Romans were a bigger civilization and left records of their language behind... Not that most people could understand that, either.

Not quite old enough.  Try ancient sumerian, maybe early akkadian.  And across hundreds of planets, too.  It's amazing that most of the inmates can even talk to each other.

Then again, humanity probably has better records than them, and actual dictionaries, so it's reasonable to think they might have kept the same basic language.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: June 19, 2014, 09:18:09 pm »

The APC has comfy chairs. Also it'd be a meeting point.
But yeah, I'm not going to try and find it in this weather, heh. No doubt it's covered by enough snow to make it hard/impossible to spot even if more snow wasn't coming down. I hope it gets evac'd with us, though. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 2205