Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2494377 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #5670 on: June 06, 2014, 10:56:48 pm »

Im all for it, they might have some sweet loot.

Like i dunno, robo-ponies we could give to sean for antons artee project.
Knowing this fandom, they've probably retreated to a faraway planet and created/transformed into a society of colorful uplifted equine-derivatives.

Colorful uplifted equine-derivatives with direct, natural access to space magic.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: June 06, 2014, 10:57:14 pm »

But it's not really undeserved. I mean, it's not like they aren't both sets of stories with morals to live by.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: June 06, 2014, 11:02:30 pm »

But it's not really undeserved. I mean, it's not like they aren't both sets of stories with morals to live by.
Religion typically[citation needed] implies some form of punishment for not following the morals. Kid's cartoons' morals and lessons are typically of the "it's your problem if you don't" variety.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: June 06, 2014, 11:06:03 pm »

So... it's like religion? I mean, they both are pretty much like that. If you don't follow the gods law, it's your problem as to what happens to you.  If you don't follow the shows law it's your problem what happens to you.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: June 06, 2014, 11:13:23 pm »

Difference in scale and breadth, akin to the difference between mores and folkways.

As an example, its like calling a dagger and a Grutte-styled zweihänder the same thing. Similar? Yes, in some ways. The same? Nah.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: June 06, 2014, 11:15:57 pm »

But they also fill the same purpose.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: June 06, 2014, 11:21:18 pm »

Not exactly. Religion also serves to provide a reason for existence and hope in times of hardship. Back to the dagger-zweidhander analogy, they're both weapons but they are far from the same thing.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: June 06, 2014, 11:22:54 pm »

Some may say that religion doesn't do that. Some would say that kids shows do that.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: June 06, 2014, 11:23:49 pm »

Then that becomes a topic of opinions instead of definitions, I'm afraid. People can say a lot of things.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: June 06, 2014, 11:24:54 pm »

I'm not going to extensively argue with you GWG, if only so you don't get muted/banned over nothing, but really? Comparing a kid's show to scriptures? That's just silly.
Well, you did say nothing. So I provided a counter-example, whimsically worded.

But they also fill the same purpose.
No arguments here. Well, except for the part where children's cartoons are almost never used as justification for bigotry, ignorance, or genocide.

Not exactly. Religion also serves to provide a reason for existence and hope in times of hardship. Back to the dagger-zweidhander analogy, they're both weapons but they are far from the same thing.
But they still have some of the same functions. In fact, it's probably fair to say that the most unique benefits of religion are also covered by children's cartoons.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: June 06, 2014, 11:26:54 pm »

Some may say that religion doesn't do that. Some would say that kids shows do that.
Except there is the matter of intent. A religion is meant to provide those answers, it is not in the fundamental purpose of MLP to do much aside from marketing merchandise in a relatively child-friendly manner.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: June 06, 2014, 11:29:39 pm »

One mention of ponies and now we got people comparing it to religion in the timespan of a few hours. I'm sorry I had to bring it up, and now y'all gotta' go here.

Forgive them Father (and eventually ToadyOne), for they know not what they do.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: June 06, 2014, 11:31:11 pm »

Are you saying that people don't worship pastel colored ponies? I've been lied to this whole time.

On a different note, both fandoms and religion is really creepy objectively.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: June 06, 2014, 11:32:01 pm »

It is a subjective matter, not an objective matter.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: June 06, 2014, 11:38:18 pm »

Are you saying that people don't worship pastel colored ponies? I've been lied to this whole time.

On a different note, both fandoms and religion is really creepy objectively.

That's what I've never gotten about a lot of us, as a Bay12 Forum and Community. Why do we have all this shit against Bronies? What makes us so special?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 2205