Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2492681 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #4950 on: May 27, 2014, 07:12:50 am »

@space comms: I suspect that pw won't make an issue out of it. Because, if he played it totally straight, it would just really complicate things for no real gain.
It's hardly an inconvenience though. Anything we make in the intervening years will be instantly available to you all, retroactively, because you are more likely to be ahead of us in time. The only thing we lose is direct contact with you, except brief periods when we catch up to your timeframe through our own timeskips.

Honestly, I'd prefer it that way. Keeps a semblance of realism for no great loss. We can still talk to Steve anyway.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: May 27, 2014, 07:34:09 am »

@space comms: I suspect that pw won't make an issue out of it. Because, if he played it totally straight, it would just really complicate things for no real gain.
It's hardly an inconvenience though. Anything we make in the intervening years will be instantly available to you all, retroactively, because you are more likely to be ahead of us in time. The only thing we lose is direct contact with you, except brief periods when we catch up to your timeframe through our own timeskips.

Honestly, I'd prefer it that way. Keeps a semblance of realism for no great loss. We can still talk to Steve anyway.

I was specifically talking about the comms with AM, or us ARM operatives for that matter. Unless you never want to speak to us again, I think fudging the details a bit will be for the good of the game.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: May 27, 2014, 07:41:08 am »

We'll be in touch again as soon as we handle the security problems and have our first timeskip for facility construction. We'll be able to run pretty much in parallel then, until you complete your missions and skip ahead.

Really, we can tolerate not being in contact with the Sword for a year or two. We have enough orders, projects, and ideas to last us ten times that.

Speaking of. I absolutely have to wonder. PW, will it ever be possible for new players to appear on other ships? I understand there will be rather severe logistical problems with that, even not taking relative time into account, but still.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: May 27, 2014, 07:47:09 am »

I don't think it'll be that easy. What if a jump to a particular far planet takes ten years? You wanna do timeskips that long?

And I know you don't need to stay in touch with us to do your work. But what if any of us wants to talk to someone on Hep, or the other way around? Are we forbidden from rp'ing for the sake of abstract realism issues?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: May 27, 2014, 08:37:27 am »

It wasn't. An ARM member by the name of Leo Girard tried to blow up the Hephaestus Command Center with a nuke during the boarding phase of the defense. He was stopped by a good flying kick (an overshot; I was just trying to tackle him), and is currently imprisoned on Hephaestus.
I'm aware that that happened, but Toaster didn't make it very clear what hew as talking about, and the quoted post was the one immediately previous to Toaster's.

Does he have the microwave amp? Because if he does I'm expecting a reverse version of what happened in Frozen.
I doubt it. Xan isn't nearly charismatic enough for Disney to make the deurtagonist. And he doesn't have anyone who likes him enough to follow him to a lava castle (we'd probably just nuke him from orbit, to be sure).

I remember someone saying way back that the UWM basically genocides any possible alien civilisations before they could become a threat, with the notable exception of ones the UWM tries to avoid. Would pissing off the scary ones be a good idea? Would humanity actually stand a chance against them? We could pull an Arcturus Mengsk, and smash the UWN while it's fighting off an alien invasion.
We could probably do the space-age equivalent of poking the hornets' nest with a stick and running away while everybody else is screaming... ...I meant the hornets' nest quite literally there. ;)
Reminds me of an old story that I just made up. Two towns were having a dispute which looked to turn violent. One was focused on agriculture, the other was built around a major military base, so if it did the victor would be pretty easy to predict. So, the agricultural town's mayor decided to bug a nearby dragon so he would distract the military of the other town.
There were no survivors.

And I know you don't need to stay in touch with us to do your work. But what if any of us wants to talk to someone on Hep, or the other way around? Are we forbidden from rp'ing for the sake of abstract realism issues?
Excellent question.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4955 on: May 27, 2014, 08:49:11 am »

Ah, I'd say not to worry about it, in terms of being "realistic" with when you can talk. I mean, if we worried about it too much everyone on Hephaestus would be going through time skips whenever the the ship jumped. It's just not worth the effort and complexity to maintain a completely realistic standpoint.

We'll be in touch again as soon as we handle the security problems and have our first timeskip for facility construction. We'll be able to run pretty much in parallel then, until you complete your missions and skip ahead.

Really, we can tolerate not being in contact with the Sword for a year or two. We have enough orders, projects, and ideas to last us ten times that.

Speaking of. I absolutely have to wonder. PW, will it ever be possible for new players to appear on other ships? I understand there will be rather severe logistical problems with that, even not taking relative time into account, but still.
Probably no.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4956 on: May 27, 2014, 09:02:28 am »

What about spawning in or at least getting a ride on a transport ship to Hephaestus?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: May 27, 2014, 09:03:21 am »

Can we do it just this once, at least? The Sword literally just left.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4958 on: May 27, 2014, 09:12:28 am »

Can we do it just this once, at least? The Sword literally just left.
If the Sword just left then it will remain in normal space for at least half a day, until it reaches the jump point. So it's really not a problem.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: May 27, 2014, 09:46:39 am »

@ syvvaris

Additionally, you may want to read the wiki's New Player Guide, if you haven't already.  I'm kind've surprised Radio didn't pull out that link himself...))

I did?

Indeed. Might wanna check the newbie section of the wiki (see my sig).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:48:33 am by Radio Controlled »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: May 27, 2014, 09:47:44 am »

Yeah, I read that. I intend to buy one of Nyar's boxes, because why the hell not.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: May 27, 2014, 09:59:00 am »

@ syvvaris

Additionally, you may want to read the wiki's New Player Guide, if you haven't already.  I'm kind've surprised Radio didn't pull out that link himself...))

I did?

Indeed. Might wanna check the newbie section of the wiki (see my sig).

I hadn't checked the OOC thread.  I tend to assume that newbies only read the on-ship, at least at first.  Whoops.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: May 27, 2014, 10:09:41 am »

Yeah, I read that. I intend to buy one of Nyar's boxes, because why the hell not.
Ooh buy a red one, preferably of the same line orientation as the rainbow cannon.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: May 27, 2014, 10:15:12 am »

Ooh buy a red one, preferably of the same line orientation as the rainbow cannon.
NO
buy a gold HEPTAGON instead, since those are ALWAYS FUN

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: May 27, 2014, 10:16:40 am »

NO
buy a gold HEPTAGON instead, since those are ALWAYS FUN

Screw that, buy a purple heptagon instead! I wanna see what it does! Ought to be some kind of augmentation.
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 2205