Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2489561 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #4725 on: May 22, 2014, 02:55:21 pm »

I think someone on Hepheastus donated their remaining tokens.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: May 22, 2014, 02:56:53 pm »

So here's some backstory thoughts, as I review China-9:

The rebellion there has lasted 53 years according to the news report we saw before we jumped there.  Why had this rebellion not been quashed Red Moon style?

There were four other squads dropped in for separate missions in the area.  What happened to them?  Where are these non-us prisoners hiding?  Are there still some on the Sword?  I had a mental picture that all the prisoners that got blown up the first mission were just placeholders until more players joined; perhaps this is incorrect.
Further review shows that there was more than one ship at the drop site... but did any more come from the Sword?

Earth (the original) is referred to as an Archive world.  What is that?  Does anyone still actually live there?  Are there other Archive worlds, or is Holy Terra just that special here too?

There are also mentions of Tomb worlds.  What are those?  Clearly they are separate from Silent worlds (as those are mentioned too), so what are they?

Honestly, the whole briefing is a good reread.

Also, Aresteve is writing on the wall with chalk?  The avatar of a giant computer brain is writing on the wall?  You should probably see what he is doing.  If it's art, run and don't look back.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4727 on: May 22, 2014, 03:07:24 pm »

Steve had said that he enjoyed talking with ARES because he was complex enough to have a level of sophistication (what an AI that has no equal might call a toddler he likes spending time with, I imagine). So now that they've merged, he's bound to be more interesting. Good thing he doesn't have Steve's cynicism and sense of humor. He also doesn't seem to know everything and has an interest in learning more so that is nice.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:09:15 pm by Parisbre56 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: May 22, 2014, 03:11:09 pm »

Steve had said that he enjoyed talking with ARES because he was complex enough to have a level of sophistication (what an AI that has no equal might call a toddler he likes spending time with, I imagine). So now that they've merged, he's bound to be more interesting. Good thing he doesn't have Steve's sense of humor. He also doesn't seem to know everything and has an interest in learning more so that is nice.
Since when is the AI in control of your planet's infrastructure being humorless, learning, and named after a god of war a good thing?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: May 22, 2014, 03:12:24 pm »

Steve had said that he enjoyed talking with ARES because he was complex enough to have a level of sophistication (what an AI that has no equal might call a toddler he likes spending time with, I imagine). So now that they've merged, he's bound to be more interesting. Good thing he doesn't have Steve's sense of humor. He also doesn't seem to know everything and has an interest in learning more so that is nice.
Since when is the AI in control of your planet's infrastructure being humorless, learning, and named after a god of war a good thing?
Because Ares in Greek mythology was a giant pansy.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4730 on: May 22, 2014, 03:18:39 pm »

He's like a child. If you treat him right, he'll be fine. Plus, I'm certain Steve has at least some safeguards in place and if he sees things going bad he can merge with him again.

Plus, I didn't say he had no humor. Nobody has tested that yet. I said he doesn't seem to be just a carbon copy of Steve but a new and interesting character, which is nice.

@Hephaestus people: You could customize his synthflesh a bit. Nothing fancy, just a bit of altered facial features to make him distinct from Steve. Maybe ask him what he'd like. EDIT: Not flesh monster altered.

@Toaster: You should write some of that in the ER talk thread.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: May 22, 2014, 03:22:38 pm »

I expect at least a couple (chiefly Earth's history) will be expanded upon in the ER History of the World, Part One that PW is writing.

PS PW HINT HINT REMIND
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: May 22, 2014, 03:25:32 pm »

Well then, I'll also claim those 3 tokens, which would let me get closer to affording to buy the mortar I'm wanting
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Phoenix Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: May 22, 2014, 04:03:22 pm »

Did someone edit the wiki after I nabbed that token for Angel? just realised I forgot to do it so the count might be off...

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: May 22, 2014, 04:08:38 pm »

I added the single token, yes.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: May 22, 2014, 04:39:15 pm »

Who took my machete and civilian exosuit?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: May 22, 2014, 04:46:52 pm »

And I just thought of something else. If they have that thing on the sword... and they use it to create manipulators on the sword... and manufacturing manipulators requires 2kms free of people or any other sort of interference... how the hell do they make manipulators on the sword? Do they shoot the AM out an airlock and have her do it with her mind while outside the ship?

They don't.  Most of the armory equipment, like MK suits, gauss/laser rifles, avatars, ect. aren't manufactured- they are just stored in the Sword.  Manips are probably the same, especially since there's so few types.

Then again, how would they manufacture automanips used in prototypes from VR?  I don't remember anyone ever actually getting a prototype automanip created though, so maybe we just wouldn't be allowed to get VR created automanips.

There were four other squads dropped in for separate missions in the area.  What happened to them?  Where are these non-us prisoners hiding?  Are there still some on the Sword?  I had a mental picture that all the prisoners that got blown up the first mission were just placeholders until more players joined; perhaps this is incorrect.
Further review shows that there was more than one ship at the drop site... but did any more come from the Sword?

PW said that there used to be 'backround' NPC inmates, but they got phased out as the player base grew.  We aren't considered to have any anymore, or if we do they are the various abandoned characters from people who have stopped playing over the years.

Earth (the original) is referred to as an Archive world.  What is that?  Does anyone still actually live there?  Are there other Archive worlds, or is Holy Terra just that special here too?

PW said in the ER talk that original Earth got turned into a giant museum that describes the history of Earth.  That's probably what an Archive world is.

There are also mentions of Tomb worlds.  What are those?  Clearly they are separate from Silent worlds (as those are mentioned too), so what are they?

IIRC, a tomb world is a world where humans died off, usually during the Altered wars when humanity got fractured and divided.  I think someone went adVRnturing on one once.  There were pipes, and some sort of terrible green fluid/blob stuff?  And it ate him?  Eh, my memory's failing me.  I think it was near, or related to, Zako's adventures in making a better helmet.

Also, Aresteve is writing on the wall with chalk?  The avatar of a giant computer brain is writing on the wall?  You should probably see what he is doing.  If it's art, run and don't look back.

I'll bet it's pictures of sheep.

EDIT: Reading through the M4 briefing reminded me of those nice full-color hexmaps PW used to make.  Ah, nostalgia...

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: May 22, 2014, 05:23:17 pm »

Huh. Ya know, I think I might of forgotten to grab my bonus tokens from the newbie fund. I'm fine with letting tryrar have them, I couldn't really think of a good use for them at the time anyways
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4738 on: May 22, 2014, 05:48:16 pm »

And I just thought of something else. If they have that thing on the sword... and they use it to create manipulators on the sword... and manufacturing manipulators requires 2kms free of people or any other sort of interference... how the hell do they make manipulators on the sword? Do they shoot the AM out an airlock and have her do it with her mind while outside the ship?

They don't.  Most of the armory equipment, like MK suits, gauss/laser rifles, avatars, ect. aren't manufactured- they are just stored in the Sword.  Manips are probably the same, especially since there's so few types.

Then again, how would they manufacture automanips used in prototypes from VR?  I don't remember anyone ever actually getting a prototype automanip created though, so maybe we just wouldn't be allowed to get VR created automanips.

PW said that there used to be 'backround' NPC inmates, but they got phased out as the player base grew.  We aren't considered to have any anymore, or if we do they are the various abandoned characters from people who have stopped playing over the years.

PW said in the ER talk that original Earth got turned into a giant museum that describes the history of Earth.  That's probably what an Archive world is.

IIRC, a tomb world is a world where humans died off, usually during the Altered wars when humanity got fractured and divided.  I think someone went adVRnturing on one once.  There were pipes, and some sort of terrible green fluid/blob stuff?  And it ate him?  Eh, my memory's failing me.  I think it was near, or related to, Zako's adventures in making a better helmet.

I'll bet it's pictures of sheep.

EDIT: Reading through the M4 briefing reminded me of those nice full-color hexmaps PW used to make.  Ah, nostalgia...
If I come across the chance to make one again, I'll do it. But so far I haven't found the need to. I should have done it for heph...that could have been one. But it would have been a bit hard to show what needed to be shown.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: May 22, 2014, 06:00:55 pm »

What team am I in?
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 2205