Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2485637 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #4545 on: May 21, 2014, 10:27:42 am »

I think Faith has one, though I fully expect Space Al Capone to come equipped with this.
Club, technically. Doc's the one with the baseball bat, at least until he shattered it testing Renen.

speaking of Renen, nobody answered my question :/
I don't think anyone looked for him. It'll be up to the people on Hephaestus to get him, I guess.

He's gonna be bored.

HEY RENEN! WE PICKED YOU UP ON THE WAY OUT! YOU'RE FINE AGAIN!

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: May 21, 2014, 10:27:59 am »

I wouldn't be suprised of my character was the only one of us that actually knows a decent amount of real info about the 20th and 21st centuries. Among other  things.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: May 21, 2014, 10:37:55 am »

ok, so as to not overload Piecwise while my mortar project is being worked on, I'll sketch out that idea I had for the APC grenade launcher and see what you think Tavik.

I was thinking something along the lines of a 60mm launcher, with a dual-feed mechanism to feed from two different box magazines of ammo(with one magazine being standard frag and the other being high explosive/specialty grenades). The whole thing is plated in armor to protect the thing(not really worried about weight due to vehicle mounting) and a gun shiled is put in place, along with a camera "iron sight" and a crosslink to the gunner's HUD with a lead indicator that takes into account the APC's current speed and heading for putting shells where you're aiming.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: May 21, 2014, 10:38:35 am »

Personally, I think that even if you just strapped a laser rifle onto a gauss rifle and hooked it up to the generator, you could gain a lot of options in a basic weapon. Yes, the laser rifle would rely on capacitors and pulse fire, but you'd have effectively unlimited ammo.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: May 21, 2014, 11:53:09 am »

PW, I don't think you answered my question if Magilla's robobody is the same shape as his fleshy body was or not.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4550 on: May 21, 2014, 11:57:22 am »

ok, so as to not overload Piecwise while my mortar project is being worked on, I'll sketch out that idea I had for the APC grenade launcher and see what you think Tavik.

I was thinking something along the lines of a 60mm launcher, with a dual-feed mechanism to feed from two different box magazines of ammo(with one magazine being standard frag and the other being high explosive/specialty grenades). The whole thing is plated in armor to protect the thing(not really worried about weight due to vehicle mounting) and a gun shiled is put in place, along with a camera "iron sight" and a crosslink to the gunner's HUD with a lead indicator that takes into account the APC's current speed and heading for putting shells where you're aiming.
Is this computer operated (AUX rolls)?

And I just realised Gilgamesh would make a good boss fight for an action/arcade game.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: May 21, 2014, 11:59:20 am »

nope gunner operated, though I think with little modification it could be operated by a joystick from inside the APC  ;)

The idea was that the gun shield would be a full shield blocking vision, hence the camera linkup
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: May 21, 2014, 12:07:31 pm »

Is this computer operated (AUX rolls)?

And I just realised Gilgamesh would make a good boss fight for an action/arcade game.

Hell yeah, that'd be awesome! Can I be final boss? Or maybe right after Gilgamesh, before Steve himself?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: May 21, 2014, 12:54:25 pm »

Huh. Looks like there are at least three of us that use navy now. Maybe I'll just change my colour when I get a synthbody.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: May 21, 2014, 12:56:00 pm »

No, I use dark blue and a different font :)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: May 21, 2014, 01:07:23 pm »

Ah, sorry, hadn't noticed. That makes two of us that use navy. And (so far as I can see) there isn't really a difference between navy and dark blue.   So, I might change colours so that the other guy can keep using navy.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: May 21, 2014, 01:07:40 pm »

Quote from: piecewise
Lab coat donned. Portal 2 soundtrack playing on infinite loop. Voice configured to GladOS.
Time to start reconstructing more science.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: May 21, 2014, 01:10:34 pm »

that's why I'm switching to steel blue. Looks pretty cool :)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: May 21, 2014, 01:32:57 pm »

-let laser rifle come with generator as standard.

No.  Not unless the generator is strong enough to power the laser at max power.  We pretty much never run out of laser battery power, unless people use it as a cutting device, and if that's a problem we should probably just make a better cutting device.

-new basic weapon: that gauss rifle/rocket rifle combo, but smaller scale.band maybe non-rocket propelled, but bit of old fashioned chemical explosive to augment bullet speed. Bullets size of regular bullets we use now perhaps?

Chemical explosives are a terrible idea.  Electricity is practically free in ER, plus chemical explosives are a extremely inefficient way to propel a bullet- most of the force is lost in escaping gasses after the bullet leaves.

Using bullets closer to 5mm makes sense though.  You only really want big bullets if you're shooting long range, and we pretty much never have long ranged engagements.

-if previous 2 becomes new standard assault weapons, mod standard gauss rifle to be more powerful, but without increasing weight too much.

...Why would we make them more powerful?  They're already at the level you can shoot a guy in the shin and you'll blow his leg off.  And nobody uses armor unless it's basically tank armor.  The only real improvements I can see for gauss rifles are a higher fire speed, and higher accuracy.

Oh, and a reliable nonlethal weapon, though that might be covered by my goop launcher, if that works as hoped. Though there arz still other options as well of course (e.g. microwave cannon).

I like Anton's red hand design.  It has a non-lethal level, although I guess it's not necessarily reliable.  It's still a wonderful sidearm.

Okay, so basically here's what I'm coming up with so far.

Gauss Rifle replacement: Hybrid Metamaterial Rail Cannon, bit of a Fun With Acronyms - will probably find better name later
>  Basically take a page from Mass Effect and store the weapon's ammo as a semi-liquid metamaterial that hardens into a magnetic metalloid solid instantly when exposed to some form of radiation or electric current. Weapon will use magnetic fields to draw and shape the projectile, allowing the weapon to effectively adjust its caliber, projectile shape, ammunition capacity, and fire rate - on the fly.
>  The weapon will use a combination of standard Gauss Rifle and Coilgun designs to achieve both rapid-fire and overcharge capacities. Possible shot types are standard round of varied caliber, cluster shot, AP rod (aka crossbow bolt), cluster flechette (needle shotgun). Spent metamaterial could theoretically be recovered and returned to semi-liquid state without much trouble.
>  The cost and complexity probably push it a bit higher than "basic weapon", but the increased flexibility (sadly, probably not power) should make it a worthwhile venue - besides the metamaterial, the design is fairly simple.

This is... really relying on sci-fi, so I can't exactly argue against it very well, but I'm just gonna guess the weapon would have to be especially complex, and probably quite heavy, to do this.  Most of the time, I'd think having a normal gauss weapon with a standard caliber would be sufficient.

It's certainly a neat idea though, and that might be enough.  It really just depends on how much more costly it would be compared to standard designs.

Laser Rifle replacement: Portable Free-Electron Laser Rifle - "Hellgun"
>  The current laser rifles seem to be solid state lasers of some kind. Changing the design to a FEL introduces several possibilities.
>  The operating principle of the FEL means it can create anything from X-rays, to visible light, to microwaves, with pretty much a simple turn of a knob. Variable intensity and focusing options can mean that it can be used for a whole lot of things, including nonlethal deterrent (low-intensity microwaves over wide angle).
>  The power of a FEL increases with length - or, when the output is reflected back into the stream, with time spent charging up the laser. So even a compact rifle can produce a very high-power beam if given enough charge-up time. Used in conjunction with preparing a dynamic bonus to aim, the extra power afforded can be quite useful indeed.
>  The design makes generator-power the most viable, since the laser is not instantaneous, and repeatedly charging up could quickly deplete any battery. However, a different design with a conventional laser (say, a hand laser emitter) to seed the electron stream can immediately produce a laser of sufficient intensity to fire, which may allow a battery-pack design to be used as well. A seeding laser can still be used with generator power too, but in both cases the quick shot can only be made on the frequency of the seeding laser, meaning that fancier things like microwaves and X-rays will still need charging up before firing.
>  In short, a different design of laser optimized for generator power, with a wide range of uses and charged shot capability.

This seems odd, but I don't understand the driving science well enough to argue anything.  Good idea, if it works.

Grenade launchers and mini-rocket-launchers could easily fit R_C's third weapon type, being high-power but with costly ammunition.

I touched on this with my qualification Tinker session, with the BEARD-9.  I plan on adapting the weapon into a more multi-role squad support style thing, with different types of missiles for different problems.  It'd basically be used as a larger version of Simus' grenade launcher, with the added ability of firing automanip missiles.

My ideas:

First, Fix the gorram MK.1.  The UWM found some way to do away with heat fins, so we should probably copy that.  Then, add a large generator to the back, at least large enough to power a red hand.  Add a power port to the back of the forearm on each arm, and connect weapons to that.  This way, basic suits would cost more, but weapons would overall be cheaper because each one doesn't need it's own power supply.

Taking a page from Anton's MCS, add hardpoint all over it to accept things like a larger generator, a (sod) brain box, or special weapons.  Don't include stuff like exoskeletons and cameyes by default though.

Also, make sure it has a robust computer system so I can make WAFFLES very advanced.  No, I don't know what that stands for.  It's a battlefield awareness thing.

Then, make an automatic sub-machinegun of some form.  We have a distressing lack of them, and they are very powerful weapons in CQB.  Especially considering how little armor most people wear, this should be a no-brainer.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: May 21, 2014, 01:33:07 pm »

Ah, sorry, hadn't noticed. That makes two of us that use navy. And (so far as I can see) there isn't really a difference between navy and dark blue.   So, I might change colours so that the other guy can keep using navy.
My bad. I can change color if you want, but it's a bit difficult to find new ones on my phone.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 2205