Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2486089 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #4515 on: May 21, 2014, 03:20:21 am »

How hard do you need to strike two spheres of uranium together before they will detonate?

Also would firing lasers at uranium work? Or would i need something with more impact?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: May 21, 2014, 03:30:21 am »

To be blunt I have no idea, but was under the impression that you need to do really, really weird, specific things to uranium to get it to give up the goods. I would tentatively doubt the feasibility of trying to make a nuke via blunt force or raw energy.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: May 21, 2014, 03:31:50 am »

I'd like Monoatomic Blades if they were shaped a bit differently, rather than some sort of hand-saw. They seem a bit awkward to swing.

Yeah, if you want something to dual with, a tesla sabre is better (it's excelent for stabbing motions). The monosword is more slashing, maybe a little bit hacking, but no stabbing.

Could we reshape and enlargen a monoatomic blade into a sort of sword? It'd have more range, and it'd be easier to slash with it.
5 tokens in the armory for a mono atomic sword. And if you want range, go for a polearm, like I did.

I think all the stuff in the noob pile was melted down and reforged into tokens. Not sure though.
Check wiki page (funds and pools) for the current newbie pile stuff.

How hard do you need to strike two spheres of uranium together before they will detonate?

Also would firing lasers at uranium work? Or would i need something with more impact?
you need to bring a mass of nuclear fuel together so it will reach supercritical mass. Shooting lasers won't detonate it, as far as I know. They normally use regular explosives to bring two masses or fuel together and compress it to achieve fission.

By the way, mission C people who are certain they're joining that mission, would you guys prefer the old system of handling artifacts (everyone for himself) or would you prefer we go full commie and divide evrything at the end? I mean, Miya can levitate artifacts without having to touch them, but I'm not planning on keeping everything myself. I think I'll put it up to a vote IC later, but I figured getting your opinions now could help ge a clearer view on things.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:39:37 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: May 21, 2014, 03:56:17 am »

Well i seem to recall miyamoto smacking two spheres together with his manipulator really fast and that achieved fission.

I remembered watching a documentary about... something... it wasnt sports, but it was showing a golfers swing and likened the G-forces it achieved to an F1 racecar turning a corner at 1000 Mp/h or some such ridiculous speed.

Those two half rememberef bits of trivia gave me certain ideas... that should probably not be tested...
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: May 21, 2014, 04:12:32 am »

Well i seem to recall miyamoto smacking two spheres together with his manipulator really fast and that achieved fission.

I remembered watching a documentary about... something... it wasnt sports, but it was showing a golfers swing and likened the G-forces it achieved to an F1 racecar turning a corner at 1000 Mp/h or some such ridiculous speed.

Those two half rememberef bits of trivia gave me certain ideas... that should probably not be tested...

What, punt a sphere of enriched plutonium at something with ludicrous force, and see if it detonates on impact?

Also, Anton's design for DIY fusion warheads involved precisely the same idea, except using kinetic amp sandwiches to create the necessary ludicrous force (which is rather more ludicrous for fusion). So I guess you could take two people with kinetic amps, strap a half-sphere of plutonium to each one's fist, and if you want to really go out in a blaze of glory nuclear fire, have them do a fist-bump...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 04:15:27 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: May 21, 2014, 04:14:38 am »

No, grab two uranium golf glubs and smack them together as hard as possible.

Although i like your idea too.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: May 21, 2014, 04:22:10 am »

Well yeah, that's what he did: create two subcritical masses of uranium, then smack them together into one clump that's supercritical.

You could always take a mass of supercritical fuel, then make sure it's not dense enough the go off, then if it hits somethin hard enough, it'll compress, go supercritical, and explode.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: May 21, 2014, 04:56:24 am »

Wait, i can create supercritical lumps of uranium? Why did i not think of this...

Certainly does seem cheaper than using kinetic amps to compress a critical sphere into a supercritical one...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: May 21, 2014, 05:06:50 am »

Wait, i can create supercritical lumps of uranium? Why did i not think of this...

Certainly does seem cheaper than using kinetic amps to compress a critical sphere into a supercritical one...

Wait, do you have a universal manip? Or how would you go creating those clumps?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: May 21, 2014, 05:11:35 am »

Not necessarily a universal one, a simple matter converter will do. (heh, simple)

Personally, I'm wondering if "neutron-degenerate matter" is something the matter converter is capable of producing.

Also. I know we're kind of the designated R&D, but you people will end up using these things, so question. Simus got a good hint that we could really use some better basic weapons, but there's really only so much you can do to improve a laser rifle and a portable railgun. I've been having some ideas of my own, but what do you think could be done to make better standard weapons? Just more power for the same cost? Or maybe modular design, extra optional features? Maybe an entire new kind of weapon?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: May 21, 2014, 05:18:23 am »

Yo I'm DJ Lars and y'all better leave
Cause you betta respect my big bro Steve
He's the man who speaks in the green
And he'll cut you down, if ya know what I mean

For he's the lord of all, god up in here
All you bitches better quake in fear
He can fly through space like walkin down the street
Electroshocks blastin to his wicked beat

Steve's got a plan to rule us and them
Kickin' out the fools in the U-dub-M
You betta do what he says or I'll come after you
Two of the head of any disrespectin' foo

Now it's time to leave, so get in your pods
For we're going after aliens or stupid Sods
Get on your suit and try not to lag
We gonna go bag some alien swag

Yeah you listen to Steve, he's the man in charge
Gonna roll over you, with his dick so large
Now it's time to quit, runnin' out of time
Do what he says or Jim'll break your spine

This would have made the best intro… :)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: May 21, 2014, 05:19:10 am »

I dont have the manipulator no, the clumps were gonna be made with an automanipulator as part of a weapon i probably cannot hope to buy anytime soon... and may well kill me the second i fire it.

Also. I know we're kind of the designated R&D, but you people will end up using these things, so question. Simus got a good hint that we could really use some better basic weapons, but there's really only so much you can do to improve a laser rifle and a portable railgun. I've been having some ideas of my own, but what do you think could be done to make better standard weapons? Just more power for the same cost? Or maybe modular design, extra optional features? Maybe an entire new kind of weapon?
Curved mono-razors. Vibranium shaping points yo.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: May 21, 2014, 06:31:03 am »

-let laser rifle come with generator as standard.
-new basic weapon: that gauss rifle/rocket rifle combo, but smaller scale.band maybe non-rocket propelled, but bit of old fashioned chemical explosive to augment bullet speed. Bullets size of regular bullets we use now perhaps?
-if previous 2 becomes new standard assault weapons, mod standard gauss rifle to be more powerful, but without increasing weight too much.

So basically, newbies could then choose between 3 weapons : weapon with infinite ammo, but kinda low power, weapon with medium power and medium ammo cost, weapon with high power (for a beginner weapon) but kinda high ammo cost and low clip size.

Oh, and a reliable nonlethal weapon, though that might be covered by my goop launcher, if that works as hoped. Though there arz still other options as well of course (e.g. microwave cannon).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:00:04 am by Radio Controlled »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: May 21, 2014, 07:06:53 am »

Standardize things like grenade launchers for the discerning explosives nut
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: May 21, 2014, 07:14:42 am »

How effective are the Cutting torch and Gungnir in combat?

Plus, how do I test what's in the purple hexagon hori line box(ES Insect) without violently dying?
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 2205