Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2485094 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #4035 on: May 17, 2014, 02:07:37 am »

I've been wondering about that, actually.

I mean, we have the decompensators, sure, but surely skills shouldn't work like that?

What if the bonuses worked differently? For instance, what if every second "tier" increased the chance to decompensate by 1 point? I.e.:
  • 3 points - 1/3 chance of +1
  • 6 points - 2/3 chance of +1, 1/3 chance to decompensate by 1
  • 9 points - +1, 1/3 chance to decompensate by 1
  • 12 points - +1, 1/3 chance of +1, 2/3 chance to decompensate by 1
  • 15 points - +1, 2/3 chance of +1, 2/3 chance to decompensate by 1
  • 18 points - +2, decompensated by 1
  • etc
So you get more of a dampening effect from high skill, instead of getting a 6 half the time at +2. Low rolls get increased as usual, but high rolls no longer overshoot quite as constantly.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:09:16 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: May 17, 2014, 02:10:57 am »

That'd work pretty good for me - then I'd only need one decomp rather than 2.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: May 17, 2014, 02:22:31 am »

Decompensators? -- ohh found it on the wiki

Huh. I'd assumed the bad results for 6s were so that even when people leveled up there'd still be just as much chance of "hilarity". Just less chance of catastrophically fatal hilarity.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: May 17, 2014, 02:30:04 am »

Wait, we are levelling up?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: May 17, 2014, 02:31:24 am »

Decompensators? -- ohh found it on the wiki

Huh. I'd assumed the bad results for 6s were so that even when people leveled up there'd still be just as much chance of "hilarity". Just less chance of catastrophically fatal hilarity.
Actually the fatal part gets bigger as the bonuses do. See me, who's spent around half his actions killing teammates either accidentally or purposely.
Sig! Onol

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: May 17, 2014, 02:34:03 am »

I laugh at your feeble attempts at multi classing  :P

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: May 17, 2014, 02:36:03 am »

That MkII was given to Milno for safekeeping by Empyrea, so he isn't selling it.

@IronyOwl: Good to see you back around these parts. Felt oddly endearing to read the Samsonite Abyss mission again and see how good things were back then when we weren't involved in ship-to-ship battles, where a well-placed slug provokes TPKs.
Thanks. Feels kind of weird not recognizing most of these people.

And yeah, the good ol' days when all we had to worry about was being sealed in a lightless, soundless void for all eternity.

People who stay on Hephaestus will perform various duties here as well. Aside from ample opportunities for tinkering and lots of stuff to clean up (Nevermind the ship wrecks in orbit. We've got a hiding fleshtunnel monster, and the possibly present Shadow Walker too.), I suspect we'll be using our limited shipping capabilities to perform some research and exploration missions of our own.
Interesting. You have any more information on this? What sorts of timelines we're looking at, rough headcounts, anything like that?

I mainly just want my character to be able to tie a tourniquet competently... :).
[Med:6+1] You strangle him while screaming "I AM A DOCTOR!" over and over again.
I'm going to prepare for the worst and assume you're not even joking.
I'm almost positive somebody's briefly strangled somebody with a tourniquet at least once. I am completely positive that people routinely shout about how much they're helping while repeatedly bashing Object A into Object B.

I mean, we have the decompensators, sure, but surely skills shouldn't work like that?
We already had this conversation in the distant past. General consensus at the time was that keeping skills simple and overshotty was good, but there should be some way to compensate that didn't involve cramming cybernetics in your skull. The compromise was the addition of dynamic bonuses via preparation rounds.

As for now, I still like the notion of skilled people going all excessive a lot of the time without dampening circumstances. It doesn't typically become relevant until you get fairly excessive skill modifiers anyway, and I think it makes for a more interesting tradeoff (and keeps rolling more relevant) than just making you progressively both better and less random at things.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: May 17, 2014, 02:45:15 am »

Dont make me pick your pocket for what few tokens id need to buy my own avatar...
Seriously i could probably buy one now if i sold all my stuff, but i dont wanna sell all my stuff.

Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: May 17, 2014, 02:47:45 am »

Attention: if anyone wants to donate stuff (like loot) to the newbie help fund, please state so clearly. I don't know who's got what from the boarding mission, so I'm counting on the honesty/kindness of you guys.

Dont make me pick your pocket for what few tokens id need to buy my own avatar...
Seriously i could probably buy one now if i sold all my stuff, but i dont wanna sell all my stuff.
I... Think I'm large enough now that you'd need a ladder to even reach that pocket.

Anyways, when can you tell us how much of those 10 tokens you'll be sharing with the newbies?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:49:27 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: May 17, 2014, 03:28:07 am »

[TaxEvasion]
Oh look NAV has a bunch of cutting lasers he didnt kill anyone for.
[/TaxEvasion]
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: May 17, 2014, 03:31:11 am »

There was a newbie release fund? Shit, that could've actually made me somewhat useful on the boarding missions, instead of me being a loonie running around trying to not get shot.

On that note, is PW counting bullets? I'm pretty sure that gauss handgun I traded for a question slip is probably out of ammo by now.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4046 on: May 17, 2014, 03:38:03 am »

I've got the those gauss handguns from the bridge crew and a slightly shot up advanced MK1. Consider them yours RC. Hand them out to newbies or sell them, whatever is best.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 03:39:35 am by Parisbre56 »

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: May 17, 2014, 03:39:48 am »

I'l definetely take some equipment from the fund before the mission, if I'm still eligible to do so. Otherwise, I'l propably sell whatever's in my box, unless it happens to be some sort if Eldtrich Alien Banana or something.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: May 17, 2014, 03:48:00 am »

I could give you a flesh banana, though it won't be Mr. Pillow quality.
Sig! Onol

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: May 17, 2014, 03:52:40 am »

I'l definetely take some equipment from the fund before the mission, if I'm still eligible to do so. Otherwise, I'l propably sell whatever's in my box, unless it happens to be some sort if Eldtrich Alien Banana or something.
Theres a difference between the newbie fund and the mission fund by the way.

Mission fund is used to buy temporary equipment for that mission.
Newbie fund converts equipment into tokens to give to newbies so they can catch up to the veterans.

Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 2205