Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2491384 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #3660 on: May 11, 2014, 03:28:49 pm »

So it would probably work somewhat like this: compress M mass units of matter into a black hole, attach it to a container and then fling it at the enemy and have the container stop working at the appropriate time.
Wait, why do we need a container?

The operation of the antimatter equivalent could be simplified as the following: Load a standard coilgun shell at the ship's normal cannon. Attach an antimatter converter automanipulator on it. Fire the slug and then convert it to antimatter as soon as it exits  the barrel of the coilgun (or if it's cheaper, have the coilgun be a vacuum and convert it before firing it, since it will presumably retain the same physical properties).
It would be cheaper, because we wouldn't be firing automanips with each shot.
Assuming that you can turn matter into antimatter with automanips; nothing like this has been done with ANY space magic, ever. Moving things around? That's easy. We've never seen anyone turn it into antimatter, though.

So in the first case, assuming the black hole converts its entire mass to energy, we have M mass units equivalent amount of energy released somewhere near or on the enemy ship...
Not all energy is energy we want, you know.

...and it is likely that not all of the antimatter will react with matter, bringing the amount of energy released somewhere below but still close to 2M mass unit equivalent amount of energy.
Not particularly close, since after the first "layer" or so of antimatter the rest would be blown away from the ship from the force of the explosion.

That is, assuming the act of converting a shell into antimatter and compressing a shell into a black hole require a roughly equally priced automanipulator.
Price could become a factor once you start weighing in that you could create antimatter conventionally, without the use of automanipulators, so then it would become a question of whether or not it is preferable (read cheaper and easier) to create automanipulators or antimatter and whether or not the risk of storing antimatter is greater than the risk of storing automanipulators.
First off, remember that we don't have any clue if automanips can turn matter into antimatter. There's been nothing to suggest it's possible.
Second off, well...creating antimatter in ANY quantity requires a lot of energy for a little bit of antimatter. Separating it from the corresponding matter before they annihilate each other is a non-trivial task, as is storing it. Then you need to transport it...and then you have limited ammunition.

Don't forget, automanips can be as dangerous as antimatter. Who's to say that a stray shot hitting your automanipulator storage won't cause an overload that would cause your entire ship or even nearby ships to collapse into a temporary black hole or have your entire fleet ripped apart by gravity distortions?
Automanips can destroy the single ship, but it's not likely that they'd affect anything else. Remember, space is big, really big. Even the biggest space magic problems we've had haven't extended more than a couple hundred meters or so from the originator, and with the kind of ship that we'd be using this on, that might not even cover the entire ship. Yeah, it gets bigger with bigger manips, but if the ships are flying in halfway-intelligent formations, they'd be far enough that the only effect they'd experience would be "pretty lights". And remember, when piecewise was questioned on matters relating to formation distance, his reply was less "well, things aren't like that" and more "things are like that, but we're ignoring that in favor of what the dice say". So neither's going to destroy more than the singular ship.
As to which is more likely to malfunction...well...you need to hit an automanip directly to damage it, but antimatter containment can fail fairly easily (in comparison). There's a lot of important parts to even the simplest. PRetty much the best idea we've got at present is an electromagnetic containment unit, which would need to be holding (say) anti-H+. But if the particles weren't 100% protons or 100% electrons, there would probably be some that lost or gained enough electrons to no longer be charged...and you only need one atom to drift into the protective equipment to detonate strongly enough to screw it up, which leads to containment issues.

Both are stupidly dangerous and should be used with caution, if at all.
Ships already have automanips for their weapon systems, so no they wouldn't be more dangerous for relying on automanips.

Also, the shell is not a solid unbreakable sphere. Yes, some of the energy will cause some of the antimatter to stop or be repelled but the shell is fired at insane seeds and will crumple and shatter on impact, ensuring more of it hits the target.
And only a fraction of any bit would hit the ship.
Incidentally, this means that "buckshot" would make the overall thing worse.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: May 11, 2014, 09:11:26 pm »

Oh, what?  People are talking about advanced space battle weapons again?  I'll weigh in!

Fighters, man!

Specifically, Miyamoto fighters.  With stealth tech.  They could chop ships in half and be practically invisible while doing so.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: May 11, 2014, 09:51:44 pm »

Oh, what?  People are talking about advanced space battle weapons again?  I'll weigh in!

Fighters, man!

Specifically, Miyamoto fighters.  With stealth tech.  They could chop ships in half and be practically invisible while doing so.

Something tells me you're just baiting.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: May 12, 2014, 02:10:23 am »

Fighters, man!

Yeah, it's kinda obvious.

Hey, Syv, they're onto you buddy. Quick, diversion! Run for cover! Smokebombs!

Anyways, what is a 'Miyamoto fighter' even supposed to be? Him in a shuttle flying 'round shooting dudes?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: May 12, 2014, 02:16:25 am »

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: May 12, 2014, 02:28:02 am »

Fighters, man!

Yeah, it's kinda obvious.

Hey, Syv, they're onto you buddy. Quick, diversion! Run for cover! Smokebombs!

Anyways, what is a 'Miyamoto fighter' even supposed to be? Him in a shuttle flying 'round shooting dudes?
Well, we could conceivably apply the neural link tech of the Avatars to create fighter craft with dedicated pilots. Right now Miyamoto is the closest thing we have to an Unbound, Steve notwithstanding.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: May 12, 2014, 03:06:44 am »

hmm, I have a question. I finally came up with a cool concept for a char, but I'll need advice making it.(he's going to be named Michealius Bayson and have a huge fondness for things that explode)  What skills are needed to use something like say, a grenade launcher?

My other idea is to eventually have a weapon that shoots special rounds that explode with the same effect of a manip overload, if that's possible...

This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: May 12, 2014, 03:19:37 am »

Guns are Conventional skill.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: May 12, 2014, 05:34:05 am »

so, that includes grenade and rocket launchers then? :P Ok, I'll get started
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: May 12, 2014, 05:37:44 am »

so, that includes grenade and rocket launchers then? :P Ok, I'll get started

Explosives, and their handeling, uses uncon though. And just throwing a nade would be dex, I think.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: May 12, 2014, 06:02:23 am »

Explosives use Aux, actually, as it's manipulating a device, i.e. priming and setting a timer. Throwing grenades is pure Dex for aim, and firing rockets is Con. I'm not sure if any explosives use Uncon, mass murder manipulators and potential exploding swords disregarded. Maybe actual grenade launchers, being more ballistic weapons than regular firearms, could be using it.

Basically, if you want to be demoman, you have to be demigod. :P Or at least proficient in all skills. ^_^
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 06:04:03 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: May 12, 2014, 06:05:01 am »

Explosives use Aux, actually, as it's manipulating a device, i.e. priming and setting a timer. Throwing grenades is pure Dex for aim, and firing rockets is Con. I'm not sure if any explosives use Uncon, mass murder manipulators and potential exploding swords disregarded.

I'm not sure that's correct.

From the OP:
Unconventional Weapons: Covers your non-death-tube armaments. Explosives, hand to hand weapons, field manipulators, etc.

Auxiliary systems: The operation of things that are not purely weapons, or of weapons that are part of large systems. Includes mecha, exosuits, space ships and other vehicles, as well as computer controlled weapons, drones and etc.

From this, it seems logical that using explosives would use Uncon.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3672 on: May 12, 2014, 06:08:47 am »

Basically, if you want to be demoman, you have to be demigod. :P Or at least proficient in all skills. ^_^
See Simus: A jack of all trades carrying loads of high explosives and wearing the best bomb disposal suit ever.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: May 12, 2014, 06:15:48 am »

Explosives use Aux, actually, as it's manipulating a device, i.e. priming and setting a timer. Throwing grenades is pure Dex for aim, and firing rockets is Con. I'm not sure if any explosives use Uncon, mass murder manipulators and potential exploding swords disregarded.

I'm not sure that's correct.

From the OP:
Unconventional Weapons: Covers your non-death-tube armaments. Explosives, hand to hand weapons, field manipulators, etc.

Auxiliary systems: The operation of things that are not purely weapons, or of weapons that are part of large systems. Includes mecha, exosuits, space ships and other vehicles, as well as computer controlled weapons, drones and etc.

From this, it seems logical that using explosives would use Uncon.
Hmm. Could be. Well, Uncon it is then. It probably wouldn't be if it were up to me, but eh. :P

I still think having manipulators in Uncon is silly. Two-handed molecule-sharp swords, nuclear weapons and space magic pocket calculators really share very little in regards to how they are operated. I'd move manips and non-trivial explosives (i.e. stuff that isn't "activate and boom") to Aux, and populate Uncon with more devices. But I think we already had this discussion. :)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: May 12, 2014, 06:18:28 am »

One last thing, chan you guys check my stat sheet and give any tips? I think I got it set up correctly for shooting things in the face with explosives, but I want to make sure
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 2205