Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2493494 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #3390 on: May 03, 2014, 08:07:27 pm »

Quote from: GWG
Good luck with getting a decent price with all those features. Software, AI, limbs, perhaps flight, and maybe surface-scaling would be good things to cut.

But... Software and AI are practically free.  Unless you're going wetware, but that's not required for a mere tactical AI.  And cutting flight would be stupid, because then it's a downgrade from an MKIII.

Surface scaling is redundant with rockets though, yeah.

EDIT: And I just realized, piecewise is a hipster, because he had his avatar intensify before it was cool.  :P
...What?

Oh hey, I just remembered an IDEA I got awhile ago.  A good one, too.

You know how robobodies take commands from the brain, and relay them to the body?  And how it kinda relays sensory input back?  And how they have mostly the same anatomy as a flesh body?

Well, that means you could remove a braincase and life support stuff, and it probably wouldn't be much larger than a backpack.  So you could shove a sod brain inside, and rewrite it's sensory recievers to recieve from your suit/robobody.  And make it's body-movement-order-transmitter-thingys (ugh) send to your exoskeleton/robobody, when you flip a switch.

This would allow us to grant regular human troops the capabilities of a sod.  I.E., nigh perfect accuracy and fighting skills, while retaining the lateral thinking capacity of a normal human.  And if done to an amper, they could amp while they shoot!

...There's proably some issue with it that prevents it from working well, but hey, worth a shot.  I really want to test this when Saint is revived.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: May 03, 2014, 08:46:15 pm »

Make sure to put in something for the eyes, too. Adds character. Especially if chestnuts are used.

Small pool balls!

I have no ideas for a name, though did Mr. Pants Drop identify himself as Lars?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3392 on: May 03, 2014, 08:50:07 pm »

EDIT: And I just realized, piecewise is a hipster, because he had his avatar intensify before it was cool.  :P
...What?
It was a stupid joke.

1. There's the "hipster <someone>" meme about a <someone> who does <something> before it's cool/a fashion.
2. There are people making those shaky descan avatars (see Xan's avatar) which are a combination of an avatar fad started in the WTF thread and the "<something> intensifies" meme, thus making them cool/a fashion.
3. The "<something> intensifies" meme involves images shaking.
4. Piecewise's avatar has a shaky image.
5. ???
6. Joke.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: May 03, 2014, 09:20:20 pm »

But... Software and AI are practically free.  Unless you're going wetware, but that's not required for a mere tactical AI.
In principle, sure. In practice? You'd probably need more computing power, which means more computers. Also the time and cost of development would go up.

...What?
"I [X] before it was cool!" has become a memetic catchphrase of hipsters.

-snip-
Neat idea.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: May 03, 2014, 09:45:17 pm »

Why were you shocked with a stun gun?
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3395 on: May 03, 2014, 10:35:20 pm »

Some guy at a zombie survivalist shop was talking to a few people when I walked by and he was showing them the stun gun. And he called out to me, as salesmen do, to come try it, jokingly telling me to try it on myself to see how effective it was. And I'd been hit by stun guns before in...unrelated incidents,  so I decided to mess with him a bit. So I picked a nice, not very sensitive chunk of shoulder and just zapped myself while he and the other people looked on. Made sure to stay completely deadpan about it too, which is the best part. So I shocked myself and the store owner basically said "Oh wow...he actually did it." And the two guys he was talking to said "Really?" And I said "Yeah" and did it again to prove it and then shrugged and handed it back.

Hard to explain my reasoning, but I basically just wanted to see their faces, since most people treat stunguns like something that could kill a man because they're loud and scary looking.  So seeing me do that and be completely nonchalant about it...well they looked at me like I just nailed my hand to my knee and then calmly walked away. I found it funny.

Then again, I might not be right in the head.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: May 04, 2014, 01:04:00 am »

Heh. That's awesome.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3397 on: May 04, 2014, 06:59:25 am »

I know this shouldn't surprise me by now, with all the things I see on the internet, but "Zombie Survivalist Shop"? Selling stun guns?
A. I can understand the "Survivalist" part, there are many ways civilisation could end. And while far fetched, I can see the logic behind preparing for the end of civilisation, especially in countries where life is very much dependent on modern technology. But "Zombie"? There are people actually preparing for a zombie apocalypse?
B. Everybody knows that zombies and robots are not affected by stun guns. That guy was obviously trying to scam them.

Heh. That's awesome.
Indeed. Well done.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: May 04, 2014, 07:37:46 am »

I know this shouldn't surprise me by now, with all the things I see on the internet, but "Zombie Survivalist Shop"? Selling stun guns?
A. I can understand the "Survivalist" part, there are many ways civilisation could end. And while far fetched, I can see the logic behind preparing for the end of civilisation, especially in countries where life is very much dependent on modern technology. But "Zombie"? There are people actually preparing for a zombie apocalypse?
B. Everybody knows that zombies and robots are not affected by stun guns. That guy was obviously trying to scam them.

Heh. That's awesome.
Indeed. Well done.
There are entire special themed sets for anti-zombie firearms, so yes, those people do exist.

Also.

Spoiler: Guess who (click to show/hide)
Yes, a bit too much going on, and I think I got at least a few of the details wrong, but hey - got 'im done! Waiting on inspiration for the next in line...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: May 04, 2014, 07:57:00 am »

Some guy at a zombie survivalist shop was talking to a few people when I walked by and he was showing them the stun gun. And he called out to me, as salesmen do, to come try it, jokingly telling me to try it on myself to see how effective it was. And I'd been hit by stun guns before in...unrelated incidents,  so I decided to mess with him a bit. So I picked a nice, not very sensitive chunk of shoulder and just zapped myself while he and the other people looked on. Made sure to stay completely deadpan about it too, which is the best part. So I shocked myself and the store owner basically said "Oh wow...he actually did it." And the two guys he was talking to said "Really?" And I said "Yeah" and did it again to prove it and then shrugged and handed it back.
Hard to explain my reasoning, but I basically just wanted to see their faces, since most people treat stunguns like something that could kill a man because they're loud and scary looking.  So seeing me do that and be completely nonchalant about it...well they looked at me like I just nailed my hand to my knee and then calmly walked away. I found it funny.
Then again, I might not be right in the head.
I can understand the logic there.

A. My dad says that if you're prepared for a zombie apocalypse, you're prepared for anything. Not 100% true, and I'm not sure if the shoppers' logic went like that, but it's certainly true enough for consideration.
B. Ayup. Though, see above.

There are entire special themed sets for anti-zombie firearms, so yes, those people do exist.
Which is kinda silly. Especially when the modifications get to the point that they don't work so well anymore.

...I give up.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: May 04, 2014, 08:05:23 am »

...I give up.
I kinda want to see sean try his hand at drawing Auron but i fear he may be a bit too complicated.

What with the industrial armored exosuit, jump rockets, slightly melted riot shield bolted to his left arm, extra long reiterpallasch, anomaly worm skull helmet, anomaly worm ribcage breastplate, urban executor skull shoulderguard, the auxilary weapon hardmount attached to the underside of his right forearm,  the custom heavy gauss/laser hybrid rifle and the loot/bodypart filled backpack.

Just seems to have a few too many components to me. :(
^_^

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3401 on: May 04, 2014, 08:08:03 am »

The only real problem I see with it is that Auron wears the Industrial Mining Exosuit (hence why he is capable of surviving grenades) but has the EM worm skeleton on his MK suit. I think so, anyway. EDIT: Yep, checked my appearance document. It's a bit old but describes the setup. Really need to transfer that to the wiki fully sometime soon.

Appearance (Out of Armor): Auron is a  6'4" caucasian male with a highly athletic physique, short almost unkempt brown hair and matching eyes.
When out of his armor he either wears a HMRC jumpsuit or a mk1 suit with the head and chest encased in the skull and rib cage of a small sandworm from his first mission.

Appearance (In Armor): A bulky and sturdy black industrial mining exosuit with an auxiliary weapons hardpoint attached to his right forearm and jump rocket pods attached to its back. A metal wire seems to have been welded around its torso and left arm at some point. Its legs seem to have been cleanly cut off and then welded back on.

I don't know how he does it though, since I don't think the exosuit has enough space in it to fit all the loot crap things Auron is carrying/wearing.

Still great work as always Sean.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:12:12 am by Parisbre56 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: May 04, 2014, 08:10:46 am »

Yeah, that's actually more of a combination of the exosuit and a MK suit, because last I remember, the mining exosuit is the sort of thing you sit in, MK suit and all - it's much more like the Iron Monger suit from the first Iron Man film than what I pictured here. I tried to bulky it up a bit though.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:12:30 am by Sean Mirrsen »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3403 on: May 04, 2014, 08:40:44 am »

The store was selling more then stunguns. Had a pretty sweet trench knife, for instance, that seemed quite solid and useable, along with some very shitty tacticool axes and knives and shit. I was kinda tempted to grab the trench knife since a good quality reproduction of the WWII version is hard to find and my sister is a War memorabilia collector.

But I decided against it. Saving my money for a Bar Mace. Because I love the thing from a design standpoint. It's about as utilitarian as possible but rather brutally effective, in theory.  Plus it's a flanged mace crossed with a baseball bat. You don't get much cooler then that. 

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: May 04, 2014, 10:55:03 am »

That thing is simultaneously too absurd-looking and too practical for Hollywood to touch.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 2205