Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2502600 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #2370 on: April 08, 2014, 07:11:08 am »

Yo guys, I was wondering, are Sods inherently better than AI-based Robots that could perform the same duty? Why do we use them instead of the latter?
If I recall correctly, non-wetware AI is rather difficult to comprehend due to their pure logic. I think it was mentioned that sometimes they come to strange conclusions and destroy themselves for instance.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: April 08, 2014, 07:11:51 am »

Quick, someone smoke 100,000,000,000,00 bluesmokes and find out.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2372 on: April 08, 2014, 09:57:55 am »

Something occurred to me.

Jim wants to go back to his old body when he gets out of ARM. However, if I'm not mistaken, he's lived most of his life with four arms. Will he adapt to having half the hands, or will he ask for extra arms on what is otherwise his normal body?
You have a very short memory of when Jim had 2 arms. Because the 4-armed one? Just when he went into the HMRC.

And he lived quite a longer life outside of it.
Didn't Jim get sent to the HMRC shortly after being created, then lose his body on his first mission?

Yo guys, I was wondering, are Sods inherently better than AI-based Robots that could perform the same duty? Why do we use them instead of the latter?
Because the UWM feels safer about genetically engineered idiots than artificial intelligents, I guess.
Admittedly one of their AI's is attempting to overthrow them right now, so they might be right.

How much would functional synthflesh wings cost, PW?
Say...about 2/3rds the cost of an arm each.

It'd probably be very distracting to the enemy to be charged by a guy with a fifteen inch snake hanging down and flopping around.
Especially if it's 15-inch prehensile snake...
Is it bad that I was thinking the same thing?

EDIT:  Combine that with the Arm Cannon someone just got...
Please stop this line of thought. One more post on the subject and I'm reporting y'all to Toady.

When I talked about steve having to vent the living compartments last time, it was in anticipation of just this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:01:43 am by piecewise »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: April 08, 2014, 10:14:43 am »

That doesn't count as a post on the topic.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: April 08, 2014, 10:19:08 am »

Stop the idiot from damaging the door uselessly by punching it and just use the cutters instead.
Dammit, knew I forgot something when posting my action.
Oh well, at least it's in character :P

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2375 on: April 08, 2014, 10:45:45 am »

Ho ho ho! Love the arm cannon! I knew heptagons were dangerous. Powerful but dangerous. Let's watch him try to bash one of the vets. Or the Doc...
Wonder where it came from. Maybe some sort of TV show where people participate in a deathmatch and have to complete challenges to stay alive and unlock new weapons? Sounds like a good idea for an RTD...

Edit: Note to self: When mission is over, ask Steve whether or not he has ever considered having children.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:48:46 am by Parisbre56 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: April 08, 2014, 10:47:19 am »

Ho ho ho! Love the arm cannon! I knew heptagons were dangerous. Powerful but dangerous. Let's watch him try to bash one of the vets. Or the Doc...
I'd go for either Nyars or a newb. Or himself.

Wonder where it came from. Maybe some sort of TV show where people participate in a deathmatch and have to complete challenges to stay alive and unlock new weapons? Sounds like a good idea for an RTD...
Indeed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: April 08, 2014, 11:48:26 am »

Almost makes me want to buy a nyars package myself. And depending on how much/if I get payed this mission, I might even do that. If I live, that is.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: April 08, 2014, 12:28:17 pm »

If I recall correctly, non-wetware AI is rather difficult to comprehend due to their pure logic. I think it was mentioned that sometimes they come to strange conclusions and destroy themselves for instance.
Then again, we have Steve bots that seem to work as intended, and the UWM has Arbiters, who also are full AI if I recall correctly. So maybe it is possible, but not cost effective enough on large grunt scale (though maybe it will be for us, cause we have mission 7 data).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: April 08, 2014, 12:31:33 pm »

Hmm...if I even survive the first 15 minutes with the arm cannon and make it to a mission later, it would be interesting to have to deal with its challenges and the mission objectives. I was tempted to just bash Nyars, but that could end badly with him being a somewhat important NPC and all. And I'm going to stay very far away from the Armory Master for this challenge. Aren't there any Sods wandering around the ship?
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: April 08, 2014, 12:32:31 pm »

I wonder if it's possible to use stevebots as a robobody. Also, can someone remind me what exactly arbiters are again?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: April 08, 2014, 12:46:56 pm »

I wonder if it's possible to use stevebots as a robobody. Also, can someone remind me what exactly arbiters are again?

Basically Renen if he was never human in the first place and used kinetic cudgels.

Hmm...if I even survive the first 15 minutes with the arm cannon and make it to a mission later, it would be interesting to have to deal with its challenges and the mission objectives. I was tempted to just bash Nyars, but that could end badly with him being a somewhat important NPC and all. And I'm going to stay very far away from the Armory Master for this challenge. Aren't there any Sods wandering around the ship?

Bash Jim with it. He probably won't kill you. Feyri, though, you might have problems with. I can see it now. "My arm cannon made me do it!"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:49:02 pm by Harry Baldman »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: April 08, 2014, 12:52:26 pm »

Bash Jim with it. He probably won't kill you. Feyri, though, you might have problems with. I can see it now. "My arm cannon made me do it!"

Maybe if I ask nicely first? Because it's always polite to ask before you bash people. Even if you plan on doing it regardless of their answer.

EDIT: OR...I could just get somebody to cut the arm off, which will probably happen at some point regardless. But where's the fun in that? Aside from my character's continued life with only one arm.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:54:41 pm by Beirus »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: April 08, 2014, 12:56:28 pm »

Failing that, you could try bashing yourself.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: April 08, 2014, 01:00:43 pm »

Yeah, I could do that. If all else fails and I'm running out of time, I could walk over to the infirmary and then bash myself, so they wouldn't have far to move me if things went wrong and I ended up injured instead of dead. You know, I'm starting to wonder if the cannon will power up with challenges completed, or if some sort of armor suit is going to come out of it and spread more over my body with each challenge completed. Or if it's just messing with me. I hope I live long enough to find out.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 2205