Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2491963 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #2175 on: April 02, 2014, 03:03:50 pm »

@GWG: by your physical definition, do electrons exist? And would this argument apply to, say, a Frankenstein's monster that never gets reanimated? Also, is it appropriate to use "I think, therefore I am" when you're trying to define what "I" and "am" mean? And by interchangeability I mean exactly that - can you substitute one for the other? Also, how is the mind and personality independent of the body in principle?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: April 02, 2014, 03:08:51 pm »

I'm impressed that Milno is able to do all that after being spine-snapped and disemboweled.  Not sure if it's the sharkmist, MkIII, or the pod that helped the most, but in any case it's pretty impressive.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: April 02, 2014, 03:39:18 pm »

@GWG: by your physical definition, do electrons exist?
Indeed. Even discounting smaller subatomic particles (ever hear of leptons?), one is still a number of parts.

And would this argument apply to, say, a Frankenstein's monster that never gets reanimated?
Which argument?
And what monster--the original, or flesh golems?

Also, is it appropriate to use "I think, therefore I am" when you're trying to define what "I" and "am" mean?
It would not be. However, we aren't defining that. Identity =/= Existence

And by interchangeability I mean exactly that - can you substitute one for the other?
For what purpose?
Yes, they are different. No, they are not different people. I believe my "line" argument applies.
A person is a series of...personas, I suppose, each coming after the previous and going smoothly from one to another.

Also, how is the mind and personality independent of the body in principle?
In theory, there is no reason you couldn't move the mind/personality/etc from one physical shell to another. In practice, you can't do that (at least, not yet?).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: April 02, 2014, 03:44:27 pm »

If I can find them, and if they aren't shrouded behind too much else. Or scattered between multiple posts. Or not mentioned because they weren't brought up by any particular argument.
So, here we go.
Spoiler: Reasons (click to show/hide)
Okay, so by reasons:
1) Mine isn't a by-body viewpoint exactly. A body-product-byproduct is a little more accurate.
2) The energy imprint of the baby starts becoming distinct from its mother's as soon as the baby gains systems complex enough to change state and form patterns on its own. Until it grows sufficiently that it can, of its own accord and separately from its mother, respond to stimuli, it may well be considered an organ. The exact point is not defined solidly - defining it is a matter of personal preference - but it's fairly obvious that once the baby has well and truly separated following birth, it has become a separate individual.
3) The mind... how do you separate body and mind? The mind is not something that exists nowhere, it operates in the framework that the body provides it, and it is a large part of the "energy imprint" I am talking about. The mind is a pattern - a pattern of energy states clustered around a source of energy, interacting with each other in complex ways and producing a result that affects the source. I'm... uh. Are you familiar with cellular automata? Imagine an analogue, multi-dimensional sort of automata, where rules of interaction are defined by relative energy state, the number, states, and arrangements of energy "packets" within a given pattern, grouped by relation to uncountable other energy states and patterns in the universe rather than any kind of physical position and distance. That automata is an example of how the universe works. The body generates all kinds of energy, and all energy that the body generates falls into patterns - that's the "imprint" that the physical body leaves in the universe. The brain creates patterns of energy - electric energy, in this case - that together form an entirely different layer of interaction than mere physical collection and discharge of electricity through cells can hint at. If a pattern changes, it doesn't simply go missing - as long as the change in pattern is gradual, it will still fall into some of the uncountable rules of interaction, retaining its connection to other patterns, and as the source reacts to stimuli and changes, so do the patterns attached to it change and expand, extending the "imprint".

In short, it's not simply a "body" kind of viewpoint. The body is the mechanism by which the "being" works, but the "being" is the result of the uncountable interactions between the body and the surrounding world. The "imprint" - the "soul", as it were - is a byproduct of the product of the body, the product being the "mind" and everything within the body itself that affects it. If a pattern in your "imprint" were to change, like if another person was in a sufficiently similar state of mind as you, and his stimuli, being different from yours, would do the same partial changing of pattern as they do normally, you could end up having your own mind affected by it as well. Since complete matches would be impossibly rare outside of identical twin and clone situations, this does not usually come up full-scale, but it shows up frequently in less pronounced ways, and the closer people are to each other mentally and emotionally, the closer their states and patterns are, and the more likely they are to consciously or subconsciously "think" for each other. I'm rambling again, aren't I? I gotta sleep. -_-

Is it that you don't understand English as well, or that English doesn't have words for what you're trying to say? The former seems more likely, but the latter has more interesting implications, so I hope it's true.
It's a somewhat equal mix of both, I would say. It's only natural. To me, English exists only so far as I know and understand it - therefore, even if a term exists that I am not aware of, from my point of understanding it's the English language itself that lacks the term I wish to express. I also have this problem with Russian, so it's not a matter of having a different native language. It's a matter of having a mindset that encourages finding new things, and lacking the vocabulary to back it up.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: April 02, 2014, 03:49:36 pm »

I'm impressed that Milno is able to do all that after being spine-snapped and disemboweled.  Not sure if it's the sharkmist, MkIII, or the pod that helped the most, but in any case it's pretty impressive.

Probably the MkIII turning him into an efficient rocket-powered puppet.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: April 02, 2014, 04:05:36 pm »

1) Mine isn't a by-body viewpoint exactly. A body-product-byproduct is a little more accurate.
Could you be more specific?

2) The energy imprint of the baby starts becoming distinct from its mother's as soon as the baby gains systems complex enough to change state and form patterns on its own. Until it grows sufficiently that it can, of its own accord and separately from its mother, respond to stimuli, it may well be considered an organ. The exact point is not defined solidly - defining it is a matter of personal preference - but it's fairly obvious that once the baby has well and truly separated following birth, it has become a separate individual.
Okay, I think I'm starting to understand your definition...and it's sounding distressingly like a soul by a different name.

3) The mind... how do you separate body and mind?
-snip-
I think I understood your point better before you broke out cellular automata. Still, I'll give it a shot. Mostly by focusing on your big points. (And I think I understand the general thing you're aiming for now. Probably.)
How do I separate body and mind? Well, I suppose I can just point to cogito ergo sum, but that's hardly satisfying or helpful. The mind is a process of the body, yes, but it's not a process like digestion or circulation with easily-definable physical effects or processes. The mind does function by physical processes, and it does provide physical results eventually, but neither of those is the mind. The mind is a complex set of processes, which can modify itself.
Overall, the question of "how do you separate the mind from the body" is as silly as asking how I would separate the OS from the computer. Yes, the former works by the latter, but it's not a physical thing; it's a process. Just because you can't point to a part and say "that's the mind" or "that's the OS" doesn't make it not exist, and the fact that both rely on physical bits of the thing doesn't mean that neither really exists.

In short, it's not simply a "body" kind of viewpoint. The body is the mechanism by which the "being" works, but the "being" is the result of the uncountable interactions between the body and the surrounding world. The "imprint" - the "soul", as it were - is a byproduct of the product of the body, the product being the "mind" and everything within the body itself that affects it. If a pattern in your "imprint" were to change, like if another person was in a sufficiently similar state of mind as you, and his stimuli, being different from yours, would do the same partial changing of pattern as they do normally, you could end up having your own mind affected by it as well. Since complete matches would be impossibly rare outside of identical twin and clone situations, this does not usually come up full-scale, but it shows up frequently in less pronounced ways, and the closer people are to each other mentally and emotionally, the closer their states and patterns are, and the more likely they are to consciously or subconsciously "think" for each other. I'm rambling again, aren't I? I gotta sleep. -_-
Rambling isn't bad.
Alright. Let me see if I understand what you're saying. The identity is the effects that the individual caused on the outside world, correct?
Well, this is all well and good in a vacuum, but what happens when multiple individuals interact? The slaves who built the Great Pyramids have their imprints pooled in that one structure, and in the heat their bodies released, and whatnot, but they all had roughly the same thing--is that imprint a single person, or many people? And what about when one imprint affects another--e.g, a mother teaching a child? Is a child using what his mother taught him his imprint, or his mother's? Overall, it's too vague and fuzzy to be much use.

Is it that you don't understand English as well, or that English doesn't have words for what you're trying to say? The former seems more likely, but the latter has more interesting implications, so I hope it's true.
It's a somewhat equal mix of both, I would say. It's only natural. To me, English exists only so far as I know and understand it - therefore, even if a term exists that I am not aware of, from my point of understanding it's the English language itself that lacks the term I wish to express. I also have this problem with Russian, so it's not a matter of having a different native language. It's a matter of having a mindset that encourages finding new things, and lacking the vocabulary to back it up.
That's interesting. Less interesting than I was hoping, but interesting nonetheless.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: April 02, 2014, 04:13:02 pm »

Okay, I think I'm starting to understand your definition...and it's sounding distressingly like a soul by a different name.
I think it's more a definition of sentience or consciousness than a soul.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: April 02, 2014, 04:32:44 pm »

I don't have the time right now to really get involved in this discussion at the moment (and just posting a snippet and flying of would do disservice to the subject at hand) but for people interested in this I can heartily recommend the short story 'Think Like A Dinosaur' by James Patrick Kelly.

You can find the whole story here.

It's quite a good read.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: April 02, 2014, 04:33:17 pm »

Not really. He makes it sound like a completely different, separate part from the body, states that it can't be solidly defined, and calls it a soul once.
Also, I never said it was exactly like a soul, just that it was starting to sound like one. And souls...bug me. They're the cheap way out of this kind of discussion.

I don't have the time right now to really get involved in this discussion at the moment (and just posting a snippet and flying of would do disservice to the subject at hand) but for people interested in this I can heartily recommend the short story 'Think Like A Dinosaur' by James Patrick Kelly.

It's quite a good read.
I will.
Sig

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: April 02, 2014, 04:35:49 pm »

Not really. He makes it sound like a completely different, separate part from the body, states that it can't be solidly defined, and calls it a soul once.
Also, I never said it was exactly like a soul, just that it was starting to sound like one. And souls...bug me. They're the cheap way out of this kind of discussion.
I thought he was saying the point in which it stops being a part of the mother and starts being an individual entity cannot be solidly defined.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: April 02, 2014, 04:39:40 pm »

Yes. That specific line is the single most important part of this whole thing.

Anyways, two pages in. The formatting is really terrible, and it bugs me how the author seems to be trying to subtly remind us that this isn't the 21st century every other sentence, and is failing at subtlety.
Sig

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: April 02, 2014, 04:47:32 pm »

It's quite a good read.

I can heartily recommend the short story 'Think Like A Dinosaur' by James Patrick Kelly.

James Patrick Kelly

I didn't know Jim wrote a book! :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: April 02, 2014, 04:50:32 pm »

I am assuming that in his analogy, the "imprint" is akin the an automata's rulestring, albeit a dynamically changing one with thoughts being patterns formed. What I interpret that third point to be is that this rulestring's influence to and from the environment determines it which I suppose is akin to a gun-type pattern perturbing another pattern. In that case, an imprint interaction would be bilateral. I don't think it actually defines identity as the physical effects, but rather the rulestrings and pattern interactions.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: April 02, 2014, 05:03:07 pm »

I am assuming that in his analogy, the "imprint" is akin the an automata's rulestring, albeit a dynamically changing one with thoughts being patterns formed. What I interpret that third point to be is that this rulestring's influence to and from the environment determines it which I suppose is akin to a gun-type pattern perturbing another pattern. In that case, an imprint interaction would be bilateral. I don't think it actually defines identity as the physical effects, but rather the rulestrings and pattern interactions.
I have no freaking clue what he was talking about for a while. Is it a soul-like thing? The mind by a different name? The total net effect of the person's existence?
Sig

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: April 02, 2014, 05:04:07 pm »

Sounded like a concept of identity in terms of mutually interfering systems to me.
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 2205