Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2494395 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #1665 on: March 14, 2014, 10:30:05 pm »

And this whole argument is why I'm glad we have the OOC thread.

NINJAEDIT: @GWG, by letting him now IC. This is a role-playing game, after all.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: March 14, 2014, 10:34:37 pm »

Yeah, I hear you Doomblade. We don't need however many pages this is cluttering up actual threads.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: March 14, 2014, 10:55:14 pm »

Am I supposed to remain silent? How will UP know that we're not going to put up with his stuff then?
By our characters bitchslapping his when he does something really stupid.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: March 14, 2014, 11:01:46 pm »

Am I supposed to remain silent? How will UP know that we're not going to put up with his stuff then?
All of us at once so it's more of a wrecking ball hitting his face than a slap, though.

That being said, we try to be reasonable when it comes to loot division.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:48:24 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: March 14, 2014, 11:03:38 pm »

Yes, you are.

Seriously, you constantly involve yourself in disputes that have absolutely nothing to do with you or your character, ignore every point made against you and extend said arguments to the point where the entire community is sick of it. Just stop already.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: March 15, 2014, 12:26:12 am »

Just let the poor guy loot in peace.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: March 15, 2014, 12:35:34 am »

Why are we arguing anyway?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: March 15, 2014, 02:21:24 am »

Because some people seem to enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing, I guess. :P
I'm always up for a good in-character argument, violent resolution optional. 10+ pages worth of meaningless OOC squabbles, though, that's a bit much...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: March 15, 2014, 05:32:35 am »

Well, it sounds obvious, but helicopters are really fuel-inefficient. Useful bit of trivia I read.
Perhaps, but with the kind of energy density fuels in ER have, it'd still be viable (since running out of fuel would,'t be as much of an issue).

The GM needing to keep track of hands and stuff would be a pain.
I dunno, I could see it work, though the GM wold need an easily accessible/usable way for storing information. But after that, it's like having to update the inventories of 4 players or so, not an outrageous amount of work.

Also, I approve of RC's suggestion.
Clearly, we need a zoo with all sorts of animal abominations to serve as suicide bombers. Clearly.

@ SC: I fully agree that, if a player wants to have his character do something that other people disagree with, that people should avoid complaining or trying to dissuade through OOC instead of IC. You can look at the 'guide for new players' page (which I mostly wrote) on the wiki for proof of that.

However, the reason I brought it up now is because previously, when this situation came up, I tried to handle it IC by having Miya 'confiscate' stuff to fill the payment fund a bit (so he could pay the newbies at least a little bit), then the discussion was dragged into OOC by UP complaining that this wasn't fair and all that. I know i posted the current token totals and proposed dividing of it OOC, but that was to allow people to comment on it or correct it if I made a mistake, even if their character wouldn't do so IC (proof: when Lenglon raised some good pints OOC, I could address them and explain myself. But I'm pretty sure Lyra wouldn't have done that, since she is very shy).
So this time I tried to make sure everybody was on the same page before mission end, since now is the 'perfect' time to discuss it (with PW taking a break and stuff).
So I started bitching to avoid future bitching. Proactive bitching, if you will (now that I can put on my resume!)
Go read back: I only stated what would happen if Miya got involved, and how he would interpret the rules stated before mission start. I never directly told UP to stop doing whatever, but I wanted to make sure he knew what he was getting Auron into. Because I can assure you it would have just shifted the OOC flamewar to a later date otherwise. Oh, and again, for something to be resolved in-game, a character who can actually see what's happening needs to bring it up. I think Auron's squad commander should deal with it first, but that person hasn't posted in a while. And otherwise it'll just be a repetition of last time, with stuff being taken at the end. And we know how that ended.

Really, once we go back to missions where there aren't 30+ people involved it'll all be much easier.

As for loot, I'm of the opinion that whoever does the most damage keeps the loot. That's how Cael and I split it when Erik got killed - we both did damage to him, we divided the spoils (arms and their contents) fairly even though I got the killing blow.
Small thing: those were simpler days, where any gains only had to be divided to five people at most. Now, there are more than 10 people who could count as newbie, so dividing stuff is much harder when there isn't some sort of baseline to work from. In this case, the baseline is a team fund where characters (the vets contributing the most of course) dump stuff in so other characters could benefit. And besides, nobody spoke against the rule of 'you kill it it's yours, it goes to team fund otherwise' in character before, which at least implies everybody agreed with it. If not, I'd propose that person bringing it up in-game then.

Sure, no problem, but then I'd like some sort of guarantee said person won't attack me OOC for a decision Miyamoto makes in-game (e.g. taking loot away Miya thinks Auron doesn't deserve to hand out to other characters who he thinks need it more badly).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 12:15:24 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: March 15, 2014, 08:03:25 am »

1. That requires the characters to be aware of the stupidity and within arm's reach of his face.
2. That would be out-of-character for many of our characters--some in the "rebuke" or "do nothing" direction, some in the "shoot him in the head" or "om nom nom" direction.
3. I'm not sure if Grate is tall enough.

The GM needing to keep track of hands and stuff would be a pain.
I dunno, I could see it work, though the GM wold need an easily accessible/usable way for storing information. But after that, it's like having to update the inventories of 4 players or so, not an outrageous amount of work.
Aside from the inventories being public knowledge. And there would have to be some way for the players to access their hands.
And I don't know if I've ever played Munchkin with that few players.

Really, once we go back to missions where there aren't 30+ people involved it'll all be much easier.
I can't wait for the good ol' days. Even though a minority of my missions were during them.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: March 15, 2014, 10:12:58 am »

I'm curious how much harder four 5-man missions are to keep track of than one 20-man.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: March 15, 2014, 10:20:56 am »

What makes you think piecewise will run more than one or two at once?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: March 15, 2014, 10:25:52 am »

More importantly, what makes you think we'll even have 20 living people by the time this is over?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: March 15, 2014, 10:27:38 am »

Well, it sounds obvious, but helicopters are really fuel-inefficient. Useful bit of trivia I read.
Perhaps, but with the kind of energy density fuels in ER have, it'd still be viable (since running out of fuel would,'t be as much of an issue).
Yeah, this is why I was talking about multirotors so much before.  They're horrifically inefficient, but they're far more mobile and stable than just about anything else- Perfect for a combat drone if fuel efficiency can be ignored.

Also, generators are insanely powerful.  You can buy a generator that weighs a few pounds and outperforms modern car engines that weigh two hundred pounds.  And it costs two tokens, at most.

I'm curious how much harder four 5-man missions are to keep track of than one 20-man.
Easier, because you assign a team leader to each.  Also, four different threads.

What makes you think piecewise will run more than one or two at once?
There's fifty players in one mission right now.  If PW runs a single twenty man mission, 60% of the players will be inactive.  Or active in the on-ship thread, which could actually be worse. *cough cough*Tinker*cough cough*

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: March 15, 2014, 11:12:07 am »

Isn't that not unlike what happened before the whole Hephaestus business?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 2205