Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2488276 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #1095 on: February 25, 2014, 08:47:00 pm »

Unconventional Weapons: Covers your non-death-tube armaments. Explosives, hand to hand weapons, field manipulators, etc.

Oh.  That probably covers it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: February 25, 2014, 08:48:59 pm »

My understanding was that all tube-death objects are Con, regardless of how professional or normal they are. See: The mining laser, pizoelectric shard launcher, electric flamethrower, traditional gunpowder guns, and all other manner of bizarre, improvised, modded, etc but still tube-death Con weapons.

Conversely, I believe anything that isn't Con but isn't weird enough to be Exo is Uncon, again regardless of frequency of use or quality of construction. Other than the fact that melee weapons go there, despite traditionally certainly being standard, professional weapons, I'd say comparing the hand laser and those electrowire gloves illustrates this. They're both gloves, but one's just an oddly shaped tube-death weapon while the other isn't, so one's Con and the other's Unc despite both being high-tech battery-powered glove weapons.

Ninja'd by Toaster. There we go, then.

her ample bosom pressing against his back like two giant sacks of sentient Jello assimilating the face of a cliff wall.
Loved that simile. Very imaginative.
May strikes again...
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: February 25, 2014, 09:04:16 pm »

Is May made out of synthflesh?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: February 25, 2014, 09:06:40 pm »

Is May made out of synthflesh?

No, she's just albino.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: February 25, 2014, 09:33:33 pm »

Her left arm from the elbow down, and right leg from the knee down, are made out of Synthflesh after they were severed during the China-9 Mission.

The rest of her is 100%...well, the Doctor never specified really. It seems human-ish enough.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: February 25, 2014, 09:38:04 pm »

Weapon skill goes by how its aimed.

Handheld shooty tubes = conventional
Solving equations, weapons requiring activation = unconventional
Mental control = exotic
Computer assisted = auxilary
Hitting/throwing stuff with non-activating weapons = strength/dexterity
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 25, 2014, 09:40:33 pm »

Good to know.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 25, 2014, 10:40:09 pm »

A molotov isn't a conventional warfare weapon though; it's an improvised projectile. I would assume a pipe bomb would also be Uncon. Grenades, on the other hand, are generally assembled by professionals instead of anarchists. I'm making assumptions here but I think logic is on my side, although I'm ready to admit I could be wrong.
Aren't they used in almost exactly the same method?
Really, though, having one skill for all conventional weapons and one skill for all unconventional weapons kinda defies logic in and of itself.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: February 25, 2014, 11:16:10 pm »

A molotov isn't a conventional warfare weapon though; it's an improvised projectile. I would assume a pipe bomb would also be Uncon. Grenades, on the other hand, are generally assembled by professionals instead of anarchists. I'm making assumptions here but I think logic is on my side, although I'm ready to admit I could be wrong.
Aren't they used in almost exactly the same method?
Really, though, having one skill for all conventional weapons and one skill for all unconventional weapons kinda defies logic in and of itself.
I kinda agree that one skill for all unconventional weapons might bend logic a little, but one skill for all of the others is perfectly feasible.

Conventional is just accounting for projecile speed, the targets relative speed, direction of movement, distance, wind and gravity.
Exotic is just clearly picturing in you mind the desired outcome.
Auxilary is just operating computers and consoles.

Unconventional only doesnt fit because it has included pushing buttons and flipping switches when its most significant component is solving equations, but honestly i couldnt care less whether a chainsword ran off of dexterity or unconventional just as long as i could maul someone with it.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: February 25, 2014, 11:27:08 pm »

Well, by SC's interpretation, it would cover grenades and smaller artillery as well. Probably other stuff, too.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: February 26, 2014, 12:17:28 am »

Eh, my interpretation is wrong by Word of God, so, I'm not stressed about it. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: February 26, 2014, 12:41:04 am »

Well, by SC's interpretation, it would cover grenades and smaller artillery as well. Probably other stuff, too.
Id have to say SC is correct in that grenades are unconventional because you need to pull the pin or hit the timer button, activation crap like that seems to make weapons fall under the unconventional category.

Small artillery on the other hand... id have to say it would probably be conventional if it uses iron sights or is carried by an avatar but would be Auxilary if its computer assisted. I cant really see how it could be unconventional.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: February 26, 2014, 01:02:00 am »

I've always been thinking along these lines:

Conventional = manually operated, point and shoot
Unconventional = manually operated, not point and shoot
Auxiliary = manually operated, requiring special knowledge
Exotic = non-manually-operated anything

There are probably exceptions here and there, but that's the general split as I see it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: February 26, 2014, 02:43:37 am »

While i can see the reasoning behind your system it seems rather inaccurate to me, it fails to take non-activating weapons and non-manual operation into account.

If someone were to grab a metal sword it would fall under uncon not dex/str.
If i were to use my hardmount it would fall under exotic instead of auxilary because it is computer operated and requires no special knowledge.
If Lars made a grenade that required the recitation of specific biblical passages to detonate it would fall under auxilary instead of uncon because he is required to know the verses.
If someone were to spinally mount a laser in a bumper car it would require conventional instead of auxilary because the vehicles is manually operated and the weapon is point and shoot.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: February 26, 2014, 03:00:03 am »

Also manips are chips, same as amps, right?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 2205