Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2486986 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #315 on: February 04, 2014, 03:20:02 pm »

My point. Jim needs to remember that other people can't see in his head.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 04, 2014, 03:20:47 pm »

* Toaster waggles eyebrows
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 04, 2014, 03:22:10 pm »

"And having four arms is pretty advantageous when it comes to close combat, believe me."
That's the only use you can think of?

The only one I can think of that Jim can say around Grate. :P I'm sure May can think of a few good uses for them.

"I guess none of us are completely sane, so I count it lucky that his variety is harmless. Just ask Saint Milno." Jim chuckled to himself. Saint asked about Milno and the AM, and he thought about it. "I don't know what the deal between the two of them is. I guess Milno is one of the few people she respects enough to not kill when they ask her questions."
Assuming Saint* isn't telepathic, here's what he heard:
Quote from: Jim
"I guess none of us are completely sane, so I count it lucky that [Lars's] variety is harmless. Just ask Saint Milno...I don't know what the deal between the two of them is. I guess Milno is one of the few people she respects enough to not kill when they ask her questions."
Saint may now think Lars is female. And violent.

If you completely ignore that Jim referred to Lars as both 'brother' and 'his', before switching subjects then maybe. :P You'd also have to ignore the white text indicating that he had talked about Lars, then Saint asked about Milno and the AM, then Jim responded to that, since that's the closest way we can do a real-time conversation via post.

EDIT: Also, pretty sure Saint knows the Armory Master is female if he's seen Milno talking to her, so it doesn't really take a genius to make the leap of logic, dude. :|

Anyways, I've been considering if Grate would be willing to tinker for Simus. On one hand, it's nice to Simus, but on the other it's mean to Jim.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Mind clarifying?
Which part?
I mean I've been considering having Grate make tinker things in Tinker for the next few days, since it would be nice to Simus (and Pyro), but on the other hand it's kind of ignoring Jim's authority and such.

Ah, OK. Well, I'm not one to tell people how to play their character, but if Jim finds out Grate's doing that he'll ask him to stop... then ground him too if he doesn't. :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:29:23 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 04, 2014, 03:24:07 pm »

His head isn't worth looking into. It's either mostly empty or filled with stuff that has backups elsewhere. Again, synthflesh body.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 04, 2014, 03:26:24 pm »

His head isn't worth looking into. It's either mostly empty or filled with stuff that has backups elsewhere. Again, synthflesh body.
Which I'm emulating.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 04, 2014, 03:52:21 pm »

(Uh, guys?)
((Well, as I said, I posted defense stuff here cause I thought it was most appropriate. But if people think not, off to the OOC thread I go!))
I think he was more concerned about the 100% OOC chatter.

"And having four arms is pretty advantageous when it comes to close combat, believe me."
That's the only use you can think of?
The only one I can think of that Jim can say around Grate. :P I'm sure May can think of a few good uses for them.
Gecher mind out of the gutter, young man. I was talking about multitasking.

"I guess none of us are completely sane, so I count it lucky that his variety is harmless. Just ask Saint Milno." Jim chuckled to himself. Saint asked about Milno and the AM, and he thought about it. "I don't know what the deal between the two of them is. I guess Milno is one of the few people she respects enough to not kill when they ask her questions."
Assuming Saint* isn't telepathic, here's what he heard:
Quote from: Jim
"I guess none of us are completely sane, so I count it lucky that [Lars's] variety is harmless. Just ask Saint Milno...I don't know what the deal between the two of them is. I guess Milno is one of the few people she respects enough to not kill when they ask her questions."
Saint may now think Lars is female. And violent.
If you completely ignore that Jim referred to Lars as both 'brother' and 'his', before switching subjects then maybe. :P You'd also have to ignore the white text indicating that he had talked about Lars, then Saint asked about Milno and the AM, then Jim responded to that, since that's the closest way we can do a real-time conversation via post.
Yeah. Still...segues are good. And not just mental ones.

Anyways, I've been considering if Grate would be willing to tinker for Simus. On one hand, it's nice to Simus, but on the other it's mean to Jim.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Mind clarifying?
Which part?
I mean I've been considering having Grate make tinker things in Tinker for the next few days, since it would be nice to Simus (and Pyro), but on the other hand it's kind of ignoring Jim's authority and such.
Ah, OK. Well, I'm not one to tell people how to play their character, but if Jim finds out Grate's doing that he'll ask him to stop... then ground him too if he doesn't. :P
Noted.

Whatever. You knew what I meant.
(And calling Jim's head empty is amusingly misinterpretable.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 04, 2014, 03:56:25 pm »

A 19-year-old calling a 27-year-old young man. :P I'm sure May would call it multitasking too. >:3

Also you seem to have missed the edit I slipped in there about how else Saint would've known the difference. Anyway. Yeah. Jim's head isn't empty. It's got Cameyes in it. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 04, 2014, 03:59:41 pm »

A 19-year-old calling a 27-year-old young man. :P
The magic of the internet. And of me trying a lot harder than anyone else I've met on the Internet to be reasonable, I guess.
Sig

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 04, 2014, 04:26:50 pm »

HOOOooo...  Almost regretting supporting the OOC thread.

I'm on a phone, so no nice quotes for you.

@GWG - Quadrotors

I am familiar with square/cube law, yes.  Are you familiar with attack helicopters?  They can have a decent amount of armor, while still having enough firepower to take out tanks.  A support quadrotor around the size of an Artee would be more effective than the heli by weight, because it's smaller- S/Q Law works in it's favor here.

Furthermore, it needs way less armor than an RT to have a similar survivability.  Its profile is flatter, so it's harder to target, and as I stated before a quadrotor can lose a rotor and still be fairly effective.  Not to mention that it can fly around in very erratic patterns.

@GWG - XCOM
No, XCOM starts hard, then gets waay easier.  I recently got it because of all the people in ER talking about it.

It's a cakewalk after you have three max level soldiers.

@GWG seuges are good

Yeah, my fault.  I'm a bad conversationalist, trying to play a good one.  It doesn't work well.

...Aaand that ended up entirely addressing GWG.  Huh.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 04, 2014, 04:28:23 pm »

Sorry for the wall-o-text, but hey, it's what we have the thread for.

((Is it just me or has ER taken the turn from Hero-group dungeon crawler to massive sprawling RTS? Because that is Awesome.))
((Yeah, you have no idea how much I'm enjoying this.))
And yes, Miyamoto is one. He's basically in charge of all the planning.
((ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKE MIYAMOTO A DULL BOY.))

((@ pony war bot: the desing isn't all that ridiculous. Just look at the 'big dog' thing from Boston dynamics. If those guys think a legged support vehicle has some merits over a wheeled/tracked one, you better believe it isn't complete hogwash. Though I still think such things would be better suited as dedicated support, not fighting (so like carrying stuff, be a mobile comms unit, carry medical scanning tools, ...).
That said, nice work on the research Sean. I'd support the project just because of that.

-TCM, GM of the longest MLP:FIM RTD, whose previous avatar was a clapping pony.
Change one letter in that sentence and you get a disturbing image.
In related news, god I sometimes hate the internet.
Same goes for those among you who keep wanting to make shit from 40k.
To be fair, some of that crap is actually workable. I mean, the rocket rifle is basically a poor man's bolter.
Also, the emperors dead by the start of the 42st Millennium. Begin the rise of the Tau! (If the Orks/Chaos/Tyranids don't rape em into submission)
Whoa, what? Where did you see that? That's the first I heard of that. And google doesn't seem to know of it either.
Ah don't worry about it SC.  The general mission structure of "Go to planet, mess about, find artifacts, murder dudes." isn't gonna change all that much. There's gonna be more of a variety, and your actions will actually be going toward a purpose you can get behind and directly see, but I still want to do lots of alien exploration and such.
HA, see, SC? Told ya so. WOE BE YE WEAK OF FAITH.  :P
Oh you can fail. I have plans for the future, but if you fuck shit up I'll run with it and have a ton of fun.
Though, I will say that, depending on how badly you fuck it up, it could end the game in vastly different, vastly more bleak ways.
Ooh, ominous, I like it. Though I think we will 'win' this next battle (I mean, there's a bunch of us, and for them to get through all of us a lot of things will have to go very bad first) how many casualties we sustain will probably depend on whether we make the right decisions. I suspect part of the story will be like: we have this thing (e.g. lifting techban or not) we could do/use/allow development of. It'll give us an advantage over the UWM (which we desperately need), but it also carries risks. What do?
Oh man.  If I had any Flash skills I'd totally make a ER TD game.
((I though about what game an ER mod would fit for. It seems SS13 would both be applicable and not too hard to pull off, assuming you can find someone who can code in BYOND a little.))
1. Quadcoptors? Link, please.
Dude, just google it yourself. Don't you know how to internet?
Is anyone else finding it impossible to the wiki pages on mobile devices because the table of contents is hogging the screen with a big empty white square that wont go away and follows you when you scroll?
Ive tried googling a solution but all i get is wikipedia articles on the history of the table of contents and articles describing how to edit wikipedia pages. Its quite frustrating.
Yep, i noticed that too; I think the white box is supposed to be an advertisement (mine was for flowers o.o). I'll look into it once the wiki itself is actually decently set up. Remind me in a month or two, mkay?
Right now, I think Steve is just using the HMRC as a tool for some plan of his.  It might be simply expanding his control, it might be just giving the UWM a good kick in the behind, but I really doubt he is actually wanting to put ARM in control. I will be very surprised if it ends up that Steve has been completely honest with us.
Yep, I fully suspect for Steve to one day say "Yo Miya, thanks for the help. Can't have no rogue Avatars runnin' round now the fightin' is over. Rest in peace" *BLAM*
I just hope Miya gets to do it himself, if it happens. Or maybe live out a simple life somewhere secluded.

defense stuff

RU cost to plant some near maturity 'Bloater trees' (rapid fire seed exploding trees) near suitable air drop points.
((I'll add it to the page, though I highly suspect they won't help a bit. Mostly because we don't know when those will mature and burst, so for all we know we'll be putting some trees in their way.))
Are you sure we only need one laser battery to ensure full air cover?
((No, and I'd love to have more. But unless we can somehow process Grateclones into RU it ain't happening. Budgets man, them's a harsh mistress.))

((By the way, added cost for 10 remote imaging drones to page. 10x3 = 30 RU.
And I realized that at this rate, we won't have the budget to get that minefield I wanted. This makes me sad to ponder the prospect of lacking high-explosive nuclear death mines.
But, since Doomblade scrapped his bunkers-in-mountains proposal (I think?) we get 60 RU back. So adding in the 15 RU for the walking deathtrap (the clunker) we now have 15 more RU! Though Doom might want something else now instead, so we'll see. ))
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:35:54 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 04, 2014, 04:53:50 pm »

HOOOooo...  Almost regretting supporting the OOC thread.
What, you'd rather have this crap in the main threads?

@GWG - Quadrotors
I am familiar with square/cube law, yes.  Are you familiar with attack helicopters?  They can have a decent amount of armor, while still having enough firepower to take out tanks.  A support quadrotor around the size of an Artee would be more effective than the heli by weight, because it's smaller- S/Q Law works in it's favor here.
...but less effective than every quadcoptor built in the real world. Because all of those are smaller.

Furthermore, it needs way less armor than an RT to have a similar survivability.  Its profile is flatter, so it's harder to target, and as I stated before a quadrotor can lose a rotor and still be fairly effective.  Not to mention that it can fly around in very erratic patterns.
How would the "flat" profile present a smaller target while still packing all the stuff the current R3 does?
Wouldn't those erratic patterns also make them harder at hitting things?
And wouldn't it be flying above the enemy, presenting a much larger target?

@GWG - XCOM
No, XCOM starts hard, then gets waay easier.  I recently got it because of all the people in ER talking about it.

It's a cakewalk after you have three max level soldiers.
I started playing for the same reason and determined that the first missions are kinda tough, but then you start losing your best soldiers and then it all goes downhill.

...Aaand that ended up entirely addressing GWG.  Huh.
Huh.

1. Quadcoptors? Link, please.
Dude, just google it yourself. Don't you know how to internet?
I assumed it was some kind of technical term, or maybe a sci-fi concept, not a real kind of miniature flying thingy.

But unless we can somehow process Grateclones into RU it ain't happening.
...Aren't both the human body and the sheets the AM makes everything from made largely from carbon?
Sig

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 04, 2014, 04:57:02 pm »

"Yo Miya, thanks for the help. Can't have no rogue Avatars runnin' round now the fightin' is over. Rest in peace" *BLAM*

You could be a rouge avatar instead and be the world's scariest Avon lady.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 04, 2014, 05:13:23 pm »

Wiki update:

While I haven't been able to do a whole lot myself last two days, it seems there are several people already who are really helping to flesh out the wiki and fill in the blanks. Special mention to swordsmith, navagator (NAV), Syvarris and 'A Wikia contributor' who all added a ton of pages and content. Extra special thanks to Paris for creating templates (and the awesome illustrated guide how to use them), meaning I don't even have to go through the hassle of doing it myself  :P

I'll try to get the guidelines and wanted pages done asap since those are rather important pages.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 04, 2014, 05:14:58 pm »

Re: quadrotors. Firstly, they're a perfectly valid weapons platform. Not necessarily quadrotors, either, any ducted electric fan rotorcraft. They will have their mass problems, but ultimately they're possible - if the US is already making scout helidrones, these are not far off.

However, even if they have an advantage over a classic gunship in combat - they are more compact on the overall - they still need a lot more armor to "survive" than a land-based unit. Any hit to any of the fan ducts will immediately degrade flight characteristics, and any one rotor suffering a hit will create such vibration that "aiming" may as well not exist as a concept. They will need to either be built light and disposable - in which case they may as well be drones - or expensive and so agile as to not get hit. With the weapons involved, any hit to anywhere on the quadrotor's main means of propulsion - which will have to be quite large, a large proportion of its overall body size - will result in the craft being taken out of commission and requiring repairs. Whereas a land unit, especially a legged one, can easily retain mobility after losing one of its legs, and will not lose the ability to fight even after being immobilized. Not to mention not crashing into the ground from a considerable height in that event.

So there are still practical limits. Gunships may be outclassing tanks, but it's only as long as they cannot be hit in return. As a smaller unit, fighting against numerous enemies with no aiming angle limits and weapons that hit instantly, quadcopter gunship drones will be swatted out of the sky like flies.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 04, 2014, 06:07:47 pm »

Wiki update:

While I haven't been able to do a whole lot myself last two days, it seems there are several people already who are really helping to flesh out the wiki and fill in the blanks. Special mention to swordsmith, navagator (NAV), Syvarris and 'A Wikia contributor' who all added a ton of pages and content. Extra special thanks to Paris for creating templates (and the awesome illustrated guide how to use them), meaning I don't even have to go through the hassle of doing it myself  :P

I'll try to get the guidelines and wanted pages done asap since those are rather important pages.
Go Paris! And those other weirdos!
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 2205