Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2486490 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #210 on: February 03, 2014, 04:12:35 pm »

Apart from my brony sensor flaring off, aren't these just a bigger gunnerbot?
At its most basic, yes, in the same sense that a person in a full robot body is also a bigger gunnerbot. They would possess intelligence on roughly the same level as a Sod, but have certain advantages (and drawbacks) due to their design.

Also, why not war-raptors?
Funny you should mention that.

Drawn it up for Multiworld Madness a long, long time ago. But it's a horribly impractical design. Awesome, but impractical.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2014, 04:13:46 pm »

I don't have something against the equine robots per se. But why equine instead of say, canine or feline? wouldn't claws give more mobility than hooves?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 03, 2014, 04:27:56 pm »

I don't have something against the equine robots per se. But why equine instead of say, canine or feline? wouldn't claws give more mobility than hooves?
I actually looked up some motion cycles, and the equine leg setup makes for the most stable firing platform. At anything faster than a walk, a canine or a feline will have most of its body doing a whole lot of amplitudal up-down motions, whereas a horse keeps its withers almost dead level unless it goes to a pace, in which case it starts rocking side to side. As an additional consideration, it sort of emphasizes the support role. And adding claws to hooves is really trivial. But I prefer wheels, and wheels are hard to stick inside a paw.

I really was considering a feline setup at first (I got like four cats living here), but the equine's advantages won over. The feline's advantages are in uncanny mobility, and you really can just use a humanoid for the same thing. For something fast, durable, strong, and stable - pun not intended - equine was the obvious choice. And the flank cover panels would seriously obstruct a cat's mobility, so the weapon arms would have to permanently hang out in the open. And the original source for the inspiration couldn't be completely disregarded either. :) All in all.. yeah.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 04:33:44 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 03, 2014, 04:42:06 pm »

I wouldn't mind them so long as there aren't too many pony references, and cheaper or at least more versatile than the Gunnerbots.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 03, 2014, 04:46:46 pm »

No pony references: Check, unless you consider dicing people into lightly roasted chunks or headbutting them into constituent molecules a reference.
Cheaper than a gunnerbot: Not really.
More versatile than a gunnerbot: Double check.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 03, 2014, 04:51:40 pm »

I have nothing against ponies, it's the horrifyingly deformed, colourful ones that are currently experiencing a disturbing boom of popularity amongst grown adults that I would prefer not to exist.

Nothing wrong with a robot horse, I'm just somewhat disconcerted about where you took inspiration from... :-/
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 03, 2014, 04:52:09 pm »

-snip-
I see, I didn't consider the stability. In any case, you won't get any complaints from me about this

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 03, 2014, 05:02:27 pm »

Nothing wrong with a robot horse, I'm just somewhat disconcerted about where you took inspiration from... :-/
More an idea than an inspiration (I mean, really, combat lasers and deathwhip tails are pretty far from the source material), it really just caused me to stop and give a good amount of thought to what wings really are: just deformed, feathered arms. I had to research how the wings fold to draw them, and I realized that with a minimal modification, they could be made to hold a weapon, and hide it within an armored bay, like a Comanche does with its weapons pods. Combine it with a concept for a "pack mule", and the rest just snowballed from there. :)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 03, 2014, 05:45:39 pm »

Personally, I don't really like it (not just the fact I can't really get past how much it looks like something that really shouldn't be. (I would know, my elder brother is into it and tried to force me in), but the fact that it's really pointless to have it shaped like that. Seriously, what's the advantage over a tread base? Also, arguing that it's a more stable platform than a felinoid is kinda moot, that's what gun stabilizer systems are for.)

However, since you actually did it through legitimate means, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting Simus to OK a prototype. So long as it's not too expensive.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:56:31 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 03, 2014, 06:17:13 pm »

NOT THE POINES. NOOOOOOOOO-

ANYTHING RESEMBLING EQUINES MUST BE PURGED FROM THE INTERNET FOREVER. HELL, JUST GET RID OF ALL HOOVED CREATURES, THEY HAVE TOO MUCH PONY IN THEM FOR THEIR OWN GOOD. WHY CAN'T PEOPLE WATCH BETTER TELEVISION LIKE THE BIG BANG THEORY AND GLEE. URGGGGGGGG-

-----

I like it Sean. Guess we should put it up in the Fan Art section now.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2014, 06:23:46 pm »

Alright, calm thy tits.  :P  Some of us like watching kids TV shows and some of us don't. Its a personal choice, and we should tolerate it to a degree, as the bronies should tolerate our desire to not have anything to do with it to a degree.

Childish nonsense aside, I'd prefer a walker with 6 legs rather than 4. More support, easier maneuverability. Also, a practical body would be better than a horse-shaped design which is more aesthetic. In a warzone, I'd prefer the practical body.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 03, 2014, 06:27:26 pm »

Personally, I don't really like it (not just the fact I can't really get past how much it looks like something that really shouldn't be. (I would know, my elder brother is into it and tried to force me in), but the fact that it's really pointless to have it shaped like that. Seriously, what's the advantage over a tread base? Also, arguing that it's a more stable platform than a felinoid is kinda moot, that's what gun stabilizer systems are for.)

However, since you actually did it through legitimate means, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting Simus to OK a prototype. So long as it's not too expensive.
Well, a tread base is good for a vehicle. If all you need is a firing platform, then there's no contest - just copy the XCOM Alloy SHIV and you're good. But for a support unit it's not really enough. Even a gunnerbot - however single-purpose a gunnerbot is in that regard - has legs to get around the various places its master goes to. To follow where infantry goes, to run after the owner wherever possible, it needs a kind of cross-country capability that wheels or treads alone just can't give.

And a felinoid won't be able to have weapon bays, at least not ones it can open or close while not standing still. With the longer "forearm" portion of the foreleg in the felinoid setup, the "shoulder" joint moves very far back on each stroke, as that's the only way to maximize stroke length - a cat lifts its paw off the ground by lifting up its elbow and moving the shoulder back. The motion range of the foreleg goes so far back that any weapons would have to be permanently mounted outside of the body on the vulnerable arms, which would also make using the unit as a "pack mule" more difficult. Or you'd have to make the body more elongated, which would increase its already large side profile. For an equinoid, the "cannon" - the bottommost long portion of the leg - does a lot of the lateral stroke, with the uppermost "shoulder" moving comparatively little because the "forearm" can do the moving for it. It's also why you can ride a horse comfortably, without having it elbow-kicking you on the underside of your knee with every step.

So yeah, quite a bit of thought going into that one. :) And thanks for letting Anton try. ^_^ We'll see how that goes. Initial production will probably be anything but cheap...

edit: six-legged units work in the open field, but in a corridor or an indoor environment with stairs, etc, a hexapod might find it harder to navigate than even a quadruped. Unless it's built more like a caterpillar, I guess. Versatility, again. Pros and cons. Plus, hexapods can't run as fast - too many legs, not enough stroke length, doesn't work at scales larger than insects.

And yeah, aesthetics. Thou shalt not discard aesthetics if they don't interfere with the primary purpose. ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:33:04 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 03, 2014, 06:31:48 pm »

Alright, calm thy tits.  :P  Some of us like watching kids TV shows and some of us don't. Its a personal choice, and we should tolerate it to a degree, as the bronies should tolerate our desire to not have anything to do with it to a degree.

SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE WANTS TO BE A LIBERAL.

-TCM, GM of the longest MLP:FIM RTD, whose previous avatar was a clapping pony.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 03, 2014, 06:47:20 pm »

Welp. Another thread. Up to four now?
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 03, 2014, 07:54:10 pm »

If variety is the spice of life, secularism and compartmentalization is the tupperware that keeps it fresh.

What can we order with RU? I'm trying to avoid just ordering a swarm of combat bots or a decked-out battlesuit, but I want something that lays down heavy fire, whether I drive it or no.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:59:29 pm by smurfingtonthethird »
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 2205