Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2490059 times)

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Subforum (EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT IN ER, READ THIS PLEASE)
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2014, 11:05:35 am »

There's a Russian saying that seems to be equivalent, about not letting a pig sit at a table lest you want the pig's feet propped up on the table, but that is more about the consequences of letting rude or inconsiderate people into your company.
That makes me think both my english and russian suck, because I do not remember how it is said.

Anyway, GWG wants to say I'm incompetent on this topic and should fuck off, and that makes actual sense. Quite newfaggy on bay12 I am.

Don't think that, GWG is just really, really abrasive with people don't agree with him. Your opinion is welcome, since there are others who will have the same, but only be able to express it through 'WTF, Toads? TTLY WTF FIX IT OMG HES NOT SPESHAL!'. Like that.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2014, 11:05:56 am »

There's a Russian saying that seems to be equivalent, about not letting a pig sit at a table lest you want the pig's feet propped up on the table, but that is more about the consequences of letting rude or inconsiderate people into your company.
That makes me think both my english and russian suck, because I do not remember how it is said.

Anyway, GWG wants to say I'm incompetent on this topic and should fuck off, and that makes actual sense. Quite newfaggy on bay12 I am.

Nobody is saying that, and we appreciate your input. Nothing really good has ever come out of a bunch of people all agreeing mindlessly instead of speaking their mind.
Though I will admit GWG could have worded his responses a bit less... Standoffish.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2014, 11:09:57 am »

Don't think that, GWG is just really, really abrasive with people don't agree with him. Your opinion is welcome, since there are others who will have the same, but only be able to express it through 'WTF, Toads? TTLY WTF FIX IT OMG HES NOT SPESHAL!'. Like that.

Oh. I always presume my blame first, and I haven't been on bay12 enough to learn about other members, I guess. Anyways, things that Radio Controlled says make sense. Agreed to that proposal, with a slight change - to my mind, 10k replies is a bit overshot. Rare games step beyond 3000, as I see.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2014, 11:22:41 am »

As far as I'm concerned, I'd prefer a "Massively Multithreaded Games" forum over a specific Einsteinian Roulette forum - it wouldn't actually need to be RTD-only either. That said, forum separation carries the very real risk of "out of sight, out of mind". It's something I've seen in my time on ENWorld - for example, a certain type of forum game, called You Bastard, got popular, overwhelmed the games forum, got its own forum, blossomed, spawned an RPG spinoff... and died, and resisted several attempts to revive it. Granted the dying took time, much like it did for Living Enworld (which in my mind had a very specific cause of death). Having the forum be more general should hopefully help with that.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2014, 12:03:24 pm »

As far as I'm concerned, I'd prefer a "Massively Multithreaded Games" forum over a specific Einsteinian Roulette forum - it wouldn't actually need to be RTD-only either. That said, forum separation carries the very real risk of "out of sight, out of mind". It's something I've seen in my time on ENWorld - for example, a certain type of forum game, called You Bastard, got popular, overwhelmed the games forum, got its own forum, blossomed, spawned an RPG spinoff... and died, and resisted several attempts to revive it. Granted the dying took time, much like it did for Living Enworld (which in my mind had a very specific cause of death). Having the forum be more general should hopefully help with that.

((Thing is though, the only ones that get added to the subforum are games where there is already a large/dedicated playerbase, with a gm that is consistent with updates. People wouldn't be allowed to actually start new threads in this section, only if your RTD has become big enough will it be transferred there. This wouldn't be for a 'new type' of game, more a way of separating the long/multithread games from the more conventional ones. The big games get their own space to work with without having to eat up all the top spots in the forum, and new games/games where the gm can't update that often get more visibility. It's win/win I think. You could say fewer players will find their way to the big ones, but those are usually already large enough/have enough dedicated players for this not te be a real problem. And if players of the bigger ones want something else, the regular/lighthearted games are just a click away.

Oh, and for games that have good quality but are shorter or with fewer players, we still have the RTD hall of fame to reward them.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2014, 12:06:58 pm »

I am in favor of the Massively Multi-Thread Games board proposal. I use the RtD board to see if anything new and fun has come up, and ER's always on the top three spots. Of course, I admire piecewise for his update speed, but I think a separate subforum could make things a bit easier to digest.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2014, 12:12:41 pm »

I'll say it once again aloud - ATTACH FREKING POLL TO THIS THREAD. Seriously.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2014, 12:13:45 pm »

((Thing is though, the only ones that get added to the subforum are games where there is already a large/dedicated playerbase, with a gm that is consistent with updates.))
That was my assumption as well, actually. And at the time, the two games I cited qualified for the large/dedicated player base, and Living Enworld had multiple GMs and judges to keep things moving (You Bastard was a bit different in that basically anyone could be a judge, IIRC).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2014, 12:39:42 pm »

I never said that. I just said that particular argument is bad.
Now, if slippery slopes are a key part of all your arguments, you might be closer to the truth, but I highly doubt that that is the case.

Don't think that, GWG is just really, really abrasive with people don't agree with him.
And I'd be abrasive with people who do agree with me if we argued more.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2014, 12:46:23 pm »

General consensus seems to be that we need a "Multithreaded Hugeness" game thread. But I agree with Comrade, can we get a poll on this? There seems to be only 4 or so options, unless I'm missing some.
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2014, 12:48:40 pm »

I never said that. I just said that particular argument is bad.
Now, if slippery slopes are a key part of all your arguments, you might be closer to the truth, but I highly doubt that that is the case.
And I'd be abrasive with people who do agree with me if we argued more.
It's very hard to express tone within the confines of the internet without explicit statement of the tone intentioned, which is why your message might be misunderstood.
You could also offer a way he could improve his argument rather than simply pointing out that his argument is indeed weak, which is why you may come off as abrasive.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2014, 02:00:50 pm »

I'll say it once again aloud - ATTACH FREKING POLL TO THIS THREAD. Seriously.
Done. I'm using an outside poll site because the polling option on the forum isn't great.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2014, 02:07:56 pm »

Oh. I always presume my blame first, and I haven't been on bay12 enough to learn about other members, I guess. Anyways, things that Radio Controlled says make sense. Agreed to that proposal, with a slight change - to my mind, 10k replies is a bit overshot. Rare games step beyond 3000, as I see.
Don't mind GWG. He's a good guy, but he's also very passionate, I guess is a good way to say it. If you say he's wrong or you disagree, he's very adamant about explaining his position, often to the point of trying to discredit yours. It's just his way.

You're more then welcome here.

Also, you shouldn't worry about me leaving the forum. This is where my players are. I like it here. Plus ER won't be done for probably like 4 more years. AND THEN I START ON THE NEXT GAME!

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2014, 02:09:13 pm »

So, will you be posting a link to said site, or.....?

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2014, 02:10:19 pm »

Check the OP.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 2205