Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2430863 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #9840 on: October 08, 2014, 10:09:51 pm »

You're doing it wrong.

Ever hear of FOOF?

That'll handle any door you need to get through. And anything else that gets in the way. And anything you use to try and put it out with.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #9841 on: October 08, 2014, 11:53:19 pm »

You're doing it wrong.

Ever hear of FOOF?

That'll handle any door you need to get through. And anything else that gets in the way. And anything you use to try and put it out with.

We have the same source for some of our more FUN! chemistry.

Also, they should try hexanitrohexaazisowurtizane.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9842 on: October 08, 2014, 11:54:31 pm »

hexanitrohexaazisowurtizane.

I see 'nitro' in there and that's all I get. Mind using words a hick can understand? :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9843 on: October 09, 2014, 12:04:32 am »

hexanitrohexaazisowurtizane.

I see 'nitro' in there and that's all I get. Mind using words a hick can understand? :P
'reallyhurtypeoplestuff'
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9844 on: October 09, 2014, 12:06:16 am »

Google helps.  I found a nice article describing it.

Hexanitro? Say what? I'd call for all the chemists who've ever worked with a hexanitro compound to raise their hands, but that might be assuming too much about the limb-to-chemist ratio.
[...]
There's a recent report of a method to make a more stable form of it, by mixing it with TNT. Yes, this is an example of something that becomes less explosive as a one-to-one cocrystal with TNT.

Seems pretty tame compared to FOOF and ClF3.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: October 09, 2014, 12:30:14 am »

I was asking Pyro, but thanks anyway. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: October 09, 2014, 12:36:33 am »

I was asking Pyro, but thanks anyway. :P

Anything with lots of nitro or azide tends to be explosive. Extremely so - nitrogen (nitro groups are a nitrogen and 2 oxygen, azide is replacing a carbon in an organic compound with nitrogen (I think)) really doesn't like being bound up like that - it prefers to be gas. The isowurtizane just means it's in a funky fused-ring structure.

And Syv, guess where I learned about it?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:43:57 am by PyroDesu »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: October 09, 2014, 12:42:16 am »

So a ring with six times the 'normal' amount of nitro and azide?

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #9848 on: October 09, 2014, 12:45:02 am »

So a ring with six times the 'normal' amount of nitro and azide?

Normal is none. This is an already pretty funky molecule with 6 carbons replaced by nitrogen and nitro groups hung off them.

And to quote the ITP article even more,
Synthesizing polynitro compounds is no chocolate fondue party, either: if you picture a bunch of guys wheeling around drums of fuming nitric acid while singing the Anvil Chorus from Il Trovatore, you're not that far off the mark. You really have to beat the crap out of a molecule to get that many nitro groups on it, which means prolonged heating of things that you'd really rather not heat up at all.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 12:49:01 am by PyroDesu »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9849 on: October 09, 2014, 12:47:47 am »

This is why I was asking you, you explain things. Basically what we're getting at here is something a few orders more powerful than, say, C4?

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #9850 on: October 09, 2014, 01:01:28 am »

This is why I was asking you, you explain things. Basically what we're getting at here is something a few orders more powerful than, say, C4?

There's not exactly much research on it (that I've found, at any rate), and I would be extremely hesitant to use orders of magnitude, but it is almost certainly more powerful than something like RDX (which is the actual explosive in C-4).

On the other hand, it's a hell of a lot more sensitive.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9851 on: October 09, 2014, 01:03:57 am »

It's something that, as the article puts it, becomes less spontaneously explosive when mixed with TNT.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9852 on: October 09, 2014, 01:04:29 am »

Trading stability for power makes sense from a balance standpoint. Which would imply reality is balanced around such things, but whatever. :P Anyway, thanks Pyro. ^^^

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9853 on: October 09, 2014, 01:10:19 am »

It's apparently fairly stable on its own. It just. Uh. Can't be transported by truck.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #9854 on: October 09, 2014, 01:10:33 am »

Trading stability for power makes sense from a balance standpoint. Which would imply reality is balanced around such things, but whatever. :P Anyway, thanks Pyro. ^^^

Actually, it is the more nitrogens simultaneously making it less stable and more powerful, so...

And no problem - I actually learned a little bit myself looking up answers and condensing them.

It's apparently fairly stable on its own. It just. Uh. Can't be transported by truck.

One of the few papers I found on it gives it a 50% explosion rate when dropped from 22 centimeters.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:13:58 am by PyroDesu »
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 2205